Which MODs are not OP and close to Vanilla?

Started by Trblz42, August 16, 2017, 01:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trblz42

I would like to know which A17 MODs you consider that are not OP, close to Vanilla and still improve the overal game experience.

Here's my thought on this:

• Colony Manager, Relations Tab, Medical Tab, and Work Tab
  • Quality Builder
  • I Can Fix That
  • Feeding the Colony
  • Allow Tool
  • Defensive Positions
  • Hand Me That Brick
  • JTReplaceWalls, JTExport
  • Misc.Training
  • StackXXL
  • StackMerge
  • Hospitality
  • Tilled Soil

Not sure about these ones:

• Fishing - still works in an ice biome !?
  • Repair workbench - allows you to repair anything if you have the mending packs so not a free trade.
  • Mending - OP for me as you repair without the kits, removes the "D" label too.
  • Recycle - breaks down clothes/weapons to get back some of the materials (<50% AFAIK)
  • EDB PrepareCarefully - OP if you don't use the points limit function. 
  • SuperSoil - big tradeoff between cost to upgrade a single tile vs improved crop results - OP vs Vanilla

Updated: based on feedback
Don't panic and carry a towel

Swat_Raptor

Misc.Training
StackXXL
Hospitality
Tilled Soil
I would have to disagree with these mod being Vanilla, to many extra features, they are great mods and i have trouble not using some of them, but they certainly are not Vanilla.

I would add in auto seller, it doesn't change any of the prices or enable you to do anything you couldn't do yourself

numbers  - saves a lot of time digging for those little pieces of info.

map re-roll   saves time on having to start a new colony just to get a decent starting map

plant cutting is for Growers

silly builder surgery is for doctors

bulk drug burning

bulk crafting recipes (as long as they don't change the per unit cost)

Oblitus

> Tilled Soil
This thing is hell op. Hydroponics level fertility for free.

> StackXXL
This one is a major game changer. You need much less space for warehouse, but it makes it very easy to hoard a lot, thus getting stronger raids. Not necessarily bad thing, though.

A Friend

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Nameless

Quote from: Oblitus on August 17, 2017, 09:28:38 AM
> StackXXL
This one is a major game changer. You need much less space for warehouse, but it makes it very easy to hoard a lot, thus getting stronger raids. Not necessarily bad thing, though.

I forgot about this aspect. I'm totally going to install that mod now.

Trblz42

Quote from: Swat_Raptor on August 17, 2017, 09:01:41 AM
Misc.Training
Hospitality
Tilled Soil
I would have to disagree with these mod being Vanilla, to many extra features, they are great mods and i have trouble not using some of them, but they certainly are not Vanilla.

Misc. Training & Quality Builder can be used to improve skills. The silly/tedious vanilla alternative would be build several beds out of stone blocks or to have someone drafted and shoot at walls.

Tilled soil - ok maybe not vanilla enough but what about "Super soil" - it requires a lot of research and it is (very) costly to improve the soil.
Hospitality - why do you think it's too OP for vanilla?

I would add in auto seller, it doesn't change any of the prices or enable you to do anything you couldn't do yourself
map re-roll   saves time on having to start a new colony just to get a decent starting map
plant cutting is for Growers
silly builder surgery is for doctors
bulk drug burning
Most of them I don't know - will have to check them.

For plant cutting / silly building I use fluffy worktab mod - reallign work priorities in the way I want them. Ex: repair vs construction priorities.

bulk crafting recipes (as long as they don't change the per unit cost)

"Feed the colonist" like "Bulk Craft" will reduce the cost per unit a bit but this is an IRL scenario too. If you cook at home for 4 people you have less waste and cost than cooking 4 x for 1 people. So a 3.75 usage for 4 meals is reasonable IMHO.

StackXXL

I use this mod in x2 mode, not x10. This allows for hoarding (and indeed more powerful raids) but also keeps the base more organised.
So game changer yes but it doesn't change the game balances

Jibbles

Agree, tilled soil highly OP. If you really want to be able to make rich soil then take a look at fertile fields.

Wait.. is colony manager not OP? I never tried since it looks like it does everything for you? I guess that's a gray area.

I like these:
Colonist Bar FK
Notification Archiver
AC-Smart Speed
HelpTab
Blueprints

Oblitus

Quote from: Jibbles on August 17, 2017, 12:36:22 PM
Wait.. is colony manager not OP? I never tried since it looks like it does everything for you? I guess that's a gray area.
It can manage hunting, foraging and animal farming. It's... Far from "everything".

Trblz42

Quote from: Jibbles on August 17, 2017, 12:36:22 PM

I guess the definition of OP is not clear. For me something is OP if the benefits out way the cost far too much vs Vanilla
So "Tilled Soil" is OP as it increase the crops output without any cost to build it. "SuperSoil" may not be OP as it is very expensive to upgrade a single tile.

"Colony manager" issues orders based on rules set by the user like: cut plants in areas near windmills or cut wood if stock < X. An user can do this but becomes tedious in big colonies and usually always after the fact (ie run out of wood / food / energy). Its a job that costs time for a pawn but saves time for the user. Not OP for my standards.

Swat_Raptor

Quote from: Trblz42 on August 17, 2017, 12:22:32 PM
Misc. Training & Quality Builder can be used to improve skills. The silly/tedious vanilla alternative would be build several beds out of stone blocks or to have someone drafted and shoot at walls.

Tilled soil - ok maybe not vanilla enough but what about "Super soil" - it requires a lot of research and it is (very) costly to improve the soil.
Hospitality - why do you think it's too OP for vanilla?

Your initial question : I would like to know which A17 MODs you consider that are not OP, close to Vanilla and still improve the overal game experience.

the definition of vanilla (in software terms) as I understand it to be, also the Wikipedia definition : programs are called vanilla when not customized from their original form

your qualification was close to vanilla, so I was assuming you were asking for mods which were quality of life improvements but didn't add any features or alter recipes from Vanilla values, and which didn't affect game difficulty in a Direct way.

Hospitality mod opens up many new avenues for trade and recruitment which you would not have in vanilla, consider a mod which doubled the population, or increased the frequency which traders came, this is obviously not vanilla, and directly affects difficulty (but I won't say its OP), thou I usually do play with this mod because i think it was well made.

Misc Training: there are no methods of training in the original game, you can micro manage shooting at a wall yes this is true but this training mod goes way past that. its allows you to gains skills at a rate better than the most effective micromanaging would allow you to get in the un-modded version. I do like training mods but they are not close to vanilla in my consideration.

Oblitus

My fav list:

Pure QoL mods:
MOD-E
Prepare Landing
CleaningArea
Achtung!
Better Workbench Management
RuntimeGC
Fresh stockpile filter
AllowDeadMansApparel
Hunting Restriction
Notifications Archiver
Trading Spot
HelpTab
More Planning
Wildlife Tab
I Can Fix It!
Allow Tool
Hand Me That Brick

Bugfix mods (my definition of "bug" may differ from yours):
Billy's Improved Load Transport Pods
Billy's Improved Caravan Formation
Caravan speed fix
Haul to Stack
Animals Logic ( :P)

Kinda exploitable:
Map Reroll
[FSF] Simply Soil
MinifyEverything
[RF] Pawns are Capable! (No Traits)
See Deep Ores
Wanderer stat
Refugee Stats
More Trade Ships
WM Too Many Leathers
WM Smarter food selection

Adds new stuff but reasonable:
RimFridge
[RF] Smooth Stone Walls
[sd] advanced powergeneration
WM Reuse pods
Set-Up Camp
Simple sidearms

Jibbles

It can manage hunting, foraging and animal farming. It's... Far from "everything".

I knew I would get called out wording it like that ha.
I guess I considered OP when I saw it since it looked like "set it and forget it" type of mod. Can be easy to slip up cause you forgot to do this and that in the midst of all the chaos you encounter.  Shouldn't consider it OP though I suppose.

tonsrd

Quote from: Swat_Raptor on August 17, 2017, 09:01:41 AM

can you post forum link / github links for these 3 mods ( downloads ) I can only find a16 for numbers

Bakar

psychology mod feels like it would fit in nice in the vanilla game
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Nameless

I think hospitality is, not OP but very good and useful because you can now recruit people that you normally wouldn't be able unless you anger the entire faction + the current people in your map.

Its easy to fix the relationship but still you skip that process.

I think the Configurable Map is not bad. Gives you more ruins/ancient danger so your map is slightly less boring.