Modifying the storyteller

Started by RetPaladinlol, August 16, 2017, 02:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetPaladinlol

I've been playing on Cassandra Intense and have gone about 14 or so days without a raid so it's getting a little too stale. I'd like to increase the frequency of raids to once at least every 7 or 8 days.

I took a peek into the Storyteller xml and found these lines;

<li Class="StorytellerCompProperties_ThreatCycle">
        <minDaysPassed>5</minDaysPassed>
        <mtbDaysThreatSmall>3.75</mtbDaysThreatSmall>
        <mtbDaysThreatBig>1.20</mtbDaysThreatBig>
        <threatOffDays>6.0</threatOffDays>
        <threatOnDays>4.6</threatOnDays>
        <minDaysBetweenThreatBigs>1.9</minDaysBetweenThreatBigs>
      </li>

I can sort of guess that <minDaysPassed>5 defines the minimum amount of days before another big threat or raid comes. I'm not sure what <mtbDaysThreatBig>1.20 defines. And for the rest like <threatOffDays> I'm not really sure.

Distman

Try using ILSpy to snoop into the inner workings of StorytellerComp_ThreatCycle.

But in general, it says: If you lower minDaysPassed, threatOffDays and minDaysBetweenThreatBigs you should have big threats more often.
mtbDaysThreat... are harder to understand. Usually a low value makes something happen sooner/more often. But doesn't seem to be the case in storyteller.

Check out other storyteller mods for inspiration. There's one including three new storytellers, one of which sends a raid every 7 days.

/Distman

RetPaladinlol

Thanks for the insight. For future reference for anyone else looking at this thread, I looked up Dangerous Rim which makes raids come more often, etc. Opened that up and compared it to the vanilla storyteller to see how they did it.

jamaicancastle

MTB(whatever) is mean time between - it generates a random time with the average being equal to that value.

The first minDaysPassed simply prevents those events from firing during the first X days of the colony's existence; it doesn't recur. The minDaysBetween at the end is what keeps major threats from being back to back.

RetPaladinlol

Quote from: jamaicancastle on August 18, 2017, 03:57:08 AM
MTB(whatever) is mean time between - it generates a random time with the average being equal to that value.

The first minDaysPassed simply prevents those events from firing during the first X days of the colony's existence; it doesn't recur. The minDaysBetween at the end is what keeps major threats from being back to back.

So you're saying the average time for a big threat would be every 1.2 days? (<mtbDaysThreatBig>1.20</mtbDaysThreatBig>)

That seems a little off since there was a time in my colony where 27 days passed between one raid and the next. Or am I misunderstanding what you said?