[1.0 - 1.1] Genetic Rim - Combine animals to create new hybrids - v5.05

Started by SargBjornson, August 17, 2017, 06:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Yeah. Mod Interaction is always great and appreciated.

Thanks to the wandering caravan mod I am now a proud owner of a Thrumfallo without doing any genetic research yet  ;D

And of course which mod would be a better base to use with the new Giddyup! Mod, than this ( on par with Jurassic Rim and Cthulhu )

Now new on my wishlist :
- faulty control beacons.
- hidden Mad Scientist Faction.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

SargBjornson

Quote from: SpaceDorf on December 08, 2017, 03:50:57 AM
Thanks to the wandering caravan mod I am now a proud owner of a Thrumfallo without doing any genetic research yet  ;D

SADFACE

... but I'm not sure I can do anything to avoid that. After all, mods are optional.

SpaceDorf

Well I thought it made sense and it was expected interaction between mods ..

The Wandering Caravan mod creates events in which sometimes lost Caravan Animals appear on the map.

This can be similiar to Wanderer Joins, Chases Refugee or Transport Pod.

Meaning : You have to tame the animals before they leave the map again,
sometimes the owning faction wants them back, sometimes the animal gets chased by raiders which you have to fend of.

My Thrumfallo came with 15 Silver, some Pemmican and 20 Tribal Attackers ..

Nightinggale

Quote from: SargBjornson on December 08, 2017, 06:26:12 AM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on December 08, 2017, 03:50:57 AM

SADFACE

... but I'm not sure I can do anything to avoid that. After all, mods are optional.
Looking at wandering caravans, it looks like there are two ways to figure out which animals to spawn. One is vanilla RimWorld.BiomeDef.CommonalityOfAnimal while the other is         public static IEnumerable<PawnKindDef> AllWanderingCaravansSpawnableInMap(Map map)
        {
            return AllWanderingCaravans().Where(wc => map.mapTemperature.SeasonAcceptableFor(wc.race));
        }

The first should be easy to solve as it just needs to set current.RaceProps.wildBiomes[j].commonality to 0f, which it likely is already. The latter is.... tricky. It just checks if the temperature of the current season is ok for the animal. Leaving aside that it's code in another mod, how would you code the solution for this? It would likely need to be recoded into some foreach and then check if the animal can spawn naturally on any map at all.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

SargBjornson

Yeah, I think I'll leave it as is, too much of a hassle to fix and, meh, no big deal! I'm more worried right now about some ugly compatibility error with Pawns Are Capable due to the changed I did with Harmony >.< (not Harmony's fault, of course, but mine)

JinxVanAshke

Quote from: SargBjornson on December 08, 2017, 10:50:49 AM
Yeah, I think I'll leave it as is, too much of a hassle to fix and, meh, no big deal! I'm more worried right now about some ugly compatibility error with Pawns Are Capable due to the changed I did with Harmony >.< (not Harmony's fault, of course, but mine)

If you ever do decide to "fix" it, maybe you could make it an option to turn on or off? I agree with the above post it is interesting to come across some crossbreed in the wild. For gameplay thoughts, I view it as escaped from my own lab, to be honest, I have enough advanced factions on my world I can't be the only one trying to cross pigs and monkeys.

Side note, this mod and Smokeleaf are responsible for interesting my wife in this game. So thanks for an awesome gift to the rest of us players.

SargBjornson

What would happen if I made an hybrid that was part Smokeleaf? Just asking XD

Nightinggale

Quote from: SargBjornson on December 09, 2017, 07:20:35 AM
You must have used Smokeleaf to even come up with that idea  :P

Mixing plants with animals could be interesting though. Imagine some animal mixed with a cactus. It would have thorns, which would damage the attacker if hit by melee weapons.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Okam

Quote from: SargBjornson on December 09, 2017, 07:20:35 AM

Well, he's going to have to be careful with the fire And that if it burns produce a certain effect, aaaaand if it's a lizard hybrid it could release parts of smokeleaf

Canute

A Boomsmokeleafrat, when a die it release a cloud of smokeleaf dust, that gives everyone "high on smokeleaf" effect :-)

SpaceDorf

kubolek01

Stop mad ideas. Wait til WP completes his long termed job... Dorf, you remember that trihybrid you drew?
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

SpaceDorf

SpaceDorf

I can't decide what I want more a

a Boomaratops or a Thrumbosaurus Rex

or big badaboom Brachiolope.