[A17] FoodAlert

Started by Mehni, August 18, 2017, 06:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mehni

FoodAlert

Description:
Shows a persistent alert with the amount of food you currently have in storage, and an estimate of how long stocks will last.

Download
Github
Steam

License
MIT license. I'd appreciate the courtesy of dropping me a message when you include it in a mod pack. Do not upload standalone translated versions on Steam. If you wish to translate it, please give me a pull request on GitHub or drop me a line here.

If I don't respond/appear alive for a month after a new alpha release, have at it.

SpaceDorf

*grabbed* ..
great Idea and solution :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

kaptain_kavern

Another one MVP's mod  8)

Thank you, I'll take this one

XeoNovaDan

dburgdorf

But... but.... Why on earth the Rim would anyone ever need to know the status of their food supply? Isn't blind guesswork half the fun of the game? :P
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Lupin III

Wow, just a few hours ago I had a minor crisis where my colony was close to running out of food at the end of the winter, and now this pops up on the first forum page ;) . I averted the crisis by building a big "green house" around my outdoor fields, but wasted alot of resources for that.

How do you calculate the remaining days? Looks like just dividing meals by colonists. That's not very useful, because my food shortage was caused by 30 labradors and 50 hares (the game is grinding close to unplayability because of the animals, but that damn trader I want to sell them to just doesn't show up). They went wild in my food stores and reduced the 500 meals and 8000 potatoes/rice I had at the start of the winter to almost nothing. Also I don't think pawns eat just one meal per day, the ones that are almost perma-stoned definitely don't.

How about you take "inventory" every game day and show how much meals or generally combined nutrition have gone down? Would be much more accurate.

SpaceDorf

I did the Math once ..

In general Pawns eat 2 Meals a day and use 20 Food that way.

The same is basically true for animals, but they have different hunger bars.
Especially small animals like chicken, hares ( with chicklets being the worst ) eat more than they need, because most portions are to small and the hunger bar falls faster .. if you feed a chicken with meals it will eat more than a colonist.

Lastly .. why would you admit your animals into your food store ?
Only working animals are admited close enough .. and 50 hares sound like a solution to a food crisis :)
Selling small animals is not really profitable.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Mehni

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quote from: Lupin III on August 19, 2017, 02:31:07 PM
Wow, just a few hours ago I had a minor crisis where my colony was close to running out of food at the end of the winter, and now this pops up on the first forum page ;) . I averted the crisis by building a big "green house" around my outdoor fields, but wasted alot of resources for that.

How do you calculate the remaining days? Looks like just dividing meals by colonists. That's not very useful, because my food shortage was caused by 30 labradors and 50 hares (the game is grinding close to unplayability because of the animals, but that damn trader I want to sell them to just doesn't show up). They went wild in my food stores and reduced the 500 meals and 8000 potatoes/rice I had at the start of the winter to almost nothing. Also I don't think pawns eat just one meal per day, the ones that are almost perma-stoned definitely don't.

How about you take "inventory" every game day and show how much meals or generally combined nutrition have gone down? Would be much more accurate.

Yes, it certainly would.

Currently the mod uses the exact same algorithm RimWorld uses for the Low Food warning, and that indeed assumes 1 nutrition per day. That's certainly a bit on the low side.

I don't want to go in the direction of this old A15 mod which overloaded you with stats but didn't supply you with information. I can't/won't account for animals: some can eat wild plants, others can eat hay or corpses. Likewise, the mod will never be 100% accurate but I think it serves as a good guideline.

However, I really like your suggestion and I'll see what I can do about adding a "nutrition consumed yesterday" or other such solution.