Mush-rooms in mountains. New threat and bunker-deterrent. Disease overhaul.

Started by Call me Arty, August 22, 2017, 12:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

A quick idea for everyone who harbors distaste of my kind, The-People-Who-Burrow-into-Mountains.
Small pockets of an odd fungus can be found inside mountains. Small rooms with some water in the center of it. Here, Cepycord ("Sepp-e-cord") mushrooms fill the space with spores. If mined into, the room will release it's spores outside. These can cover the floors much like grass or snow might. The spores will continue to spread until contained or until the hive-like mushrooms are burned. The issue with that?
Transmission
The infection is aggressive and exists to spread as much as is fungily-possible. This means that there are multiple ways to spread and receive the spores. Upon infecting one organ, the rest of the vital organs will be close behind. The organs can be treated like any infection, but 100% doesn't mean death, just complete takeover of that organ unless it's removed. When removed, you now have an "Infected [Organ]" that will spread the infection if implanted into another host.
Lungs: Often the ground zero for the infection. Upon inhaling a fair amount of spores, the Cepycord will infect the lungs. As the infection increases in potency, the breathing of the host will be impacted and they will begin to spread spores by exhaling. If the host is contained in a small enough room, it will begin to fill with spores.
Heart: Hosts can now transmit the spores via blood. If a host with open wounds engages combat with another creature with open wounds, there is a fair chance of transmission. In addition, any blood they leave on the ground becomes infectious unless cleaned (assuming the cleaner has open wounds, they are also likely to be infected). If the host prepares food while bleeding, the food will have a high chance of spreading the infection.
Stomach: Ravenous hunger, commonly vomit infectious bile, and bites will transmit infection. Animal filth from infected animals will be infectious.
Kidney: Lower blood filtration mean that everything from the host becomes far more infectious, and other organs are affected far faster.
Brain: The fun one. Once the brain becomes infected, the host belongs to the fungus. They will actively mutilate themselves to increase transmission. Brawlers, psychopaths and those afflicted with bloodlust will automatically become berserk, actively attacking whatever living creatures are closest to them. Anyone else will attempt to excavate any Cepycord mushrooms in the mountains to increase its spread. Once all mushroom grottos are exposed to the world, infected organisms will randomly guard the source of the spores or actively attempt to spread it.
Death Death doesn't spell the end for the infection. Rather than rotting, the corpse of the host will change into another Cepycord mushroom, as another conduit of the spores. Cremating the corpse can halt the process, however.

Longshots: (Like the rest of my idea has any chance of getting into the game)
Extra Viral! Have an infected visitor or prisoner? Releasing them back to their faction will infect their nearest settlement, either destroying it and making the faction hostile to you, or, and here's the longshot, start a new Cepycord colony. These aim to spread the infection, possibly infecting other settlements and sending mixed parties of infected humans and animals to your base. Otherwise, small groups of hosts could wander into your colony anyways in the case that you don't have any mountains or hills to unearth.

Criticism for my hour of work that has like, 5% of a chance to enter the game in any form whatsoever is appreciated.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Swat_Raptor

the basic idea has been suggested before, a floor based fungus which spread on tiles with overhead mountain and applies some kind of debuff / infection and provides another disincentive to the mountain bunker base strategy.

the idea of such mushrooms being used as a deterrence for building your base into the mountain like greedy dwarves. well IIRC infestations were such a deterrence, and maybe the DEV thinks some more deterrence is needed and maybe not. It would for sure tick off alot of players thou.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Swat_Raptor on August 22, 2017, 02:07:02 PM
the basic idea has been suggested before, a floor based fungus which spread on tiles with overhead mountain and applies some kind of debuff / infection and provides another disincentive to the mountain bunker base strategy.

the idea of such mushrooms being used as a deterrence for building your base into the mountain like greedy dwarves. well IIRC infestations were such a deterrence, and maybe the DEV thinks some more deterrence is needed and maybe not. It would for sure tick off alot of players thou.

Whoops, I went through a couple pages of suggestions, must've missed it the similar idea. It's true that the infestations were designed as a deterrence. . . we also got chain shotguns soon after, which acted as a deterrent-deterrent.  While it would tick people off, I think it  would add an interesting new threat. As-of now, building into a granite mountain is about equivalent to being a stealth-archer in skyrim.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!