Bug/Cheese/Exploit - Outposts starve themselves

Started by skullywag, August 23, 2017, 05:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

Im gonna put this here as I cant find an actual bug report on this subject apart from the odd post about how silly it is. Im aware this is not really a bug but felt it required an actual post.

I just sent a useless wanderer joins pawn with a knife to "assault" a faction outpost of tribals. He went and as expected got downed almost instantly, "he will die soon" I thought and carried on with my base planning, a few mins later i get a message telling me the outpost has been destroyed and i have 20 days to reform my caravan and grab loot, "he cant have got up and fought them all???" no, hes still lying there dying BUT every pawn on the map is downed.....starving....

There are SO MANY ways to cheese this i wont bother listing them. So yeah, this feels like a rather large exploit to me.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

NeverPire

How is it even possible ? If I am right, outposts keepers are supposed to have at least one meal  or survival meal with them at the start of the map generation.

Maybe it's not enough. How many meals do you think each one of them should own to be able to avoid to be hungry during the time needed to launch the counter-offensive +the time of a common battle + the time for a downed pawn to starve to death ?

I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

asanbr

It takes days for a downed pawn to starve to death.

I just realised today how useful that can be when getting addicts off their drugs.

skullywag

you need more detail? i simply sent a guy with a knife he was downed instantly, i waited a bit, everyone died....

ison

I just bumped the thread so it's before all other locked threads, so the bugs aren't spread across too many pages.

Do you remember if there was any food left in their base? Did they run out of food or simply refused to eat? Perhaps giving them more food would solve the problem.

skullywag

Ah i see.

Everything was fogged so I couldnt see any food, based on the fact that my guy turned up partly fed and was downed instantly would that suggest they had no food whatsoever? could that happen? do downed people take longer to starve?

However someone just sanity check this, would it be possible for me to send 1 guy with some meals and wood, have him wall himself in with his food near the edge of the map and have him simply wait until the camp starves...what stops that exploit? does it work that way? I havent tested this obv hence the question.

ison

@skullywag hmm, okay. I'll check it. Downed people don't take longer to starve.

QuoteHowever someone just sanity check this, would it be possible for me to send 1 guy with some meals and wood, have him wall himself in with his food near the edge of the map and have him simply wait until the camp starves...what stops that exploit? does it work that way? I havent tested this obv hence the question.

The enemies, once starving, will dig and destroy the walls. The only thing which prevents them from doing so is when you're already downed.

skullywag

So they dont care about "pathable" food, they just know its there and will dig to you to get it. So the bug must be either they had no food, or something to do with a downed pawn taking longer to starve than the enemy. So more food might "fix" it.

Wanderer_joins

A16 description: https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5r9gcv/making_the_best_of_a_colonist_in_vegetative_state/?ref=share&ref_source=link

The same thing happens in A17. Pirates eat their food as long as they're waiting, once they've launched their attack on your colonists they stop eating, even if they have food in their own inventory or in the base.

The only difference in A17 is when there is a mortar in the base, the guy operating the mortar keeps eating and sleeping in the base while his friends are starving to death.

skullywag

oh damn, yeah thats what i experienced except mine was by accident lol

ison

I think the only solution would be to make enemies in non-player-bases kill your colonists even if they're downed. I'll leave this for Tynan to decide.

NeverPire

In my opinion, enemies should kill downed colonists only after all your colonists are downed or dead to prevent some potential issues.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Weslington

maculator

Quote from: NeverPire on September 27, 2017, 08:50:48 AM
In my opinion, enemies should kill downed colonists only after all your colonists are downed or dead to prevent some potential issues.
If there is nobody else in range they should kill/capture the colonist they downed.