Pets defending other pets against predators

Started by Zoolder, August 24, 2017, 12:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoolder

Large dogs and other physically capable trained animals (Bulls, large cats, etc...) should help other pets that are being attacked by predators, for example if a husky is near a Yorkshire terrier that is being attacked by a fox, the husky should try and protect his fellow dog.

Oblitus

They should start protecting themselves first. Trained animals just flee from any danger.

NeverPire

Both can be modified in the same time. I suppose both modifications would be situated in the same part of the code.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Oblitus

Quote from: NeverPire on August 24, 2017, 05:42:21 AM
Both can be modified in the same time. I suppose both modifications would be situated in the same part of the code.
Well, yes. There already is a StartFleeingBecauseOfPawnAction, which notifies pack members. Can be StartFighting with NotifyFaction as well.

Yoshida Keiji

It's all the learning curve of new players.

A lot of people easily complain of wild animals, product of lack of defense preparations. In this case, if you have a bonded Yorkshire terrier you want to protect, simply lock the pet in a room. This is easily done by creating a new pet zone within a room. Don't let easy baits out in the open.

There are many ways to prevent predator attacks:

* Build a WALL. Technically, you should be doing this by your third day, at the same time that "Defenses needed" message pops.

* Predators have their food bar visible to us, so keep an eye around your perimeter, we all know which animals are the predators.

* Leaving a defenseless pet out in the open is unwise, the only animals that can be left to unrestricted zones are those same predators that are tamed by the player only, as they will need to hunt to feed, and they can do it by themselves without player action, saving as a job to do.

* Animals sleep at night, there aren't owls in game yet or bats for that matter. Every night, zoom out your view and look for the flying ZZZs, and hunt potential predators before you are caught with your pants down.

* Obedience is the easiest skill to train to a Yorkshire, make it follow a master.

Basically, every single player that complains about "Predator attack", is because he/she is careless and irresponsible, and there is no good coming out of removing that responsibility out of a player. It's a good life lesson too, and I'm all in for a game that is educational.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: Oblitus on August 24, 2017, 07:51:09 AM
Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on August 24, 2017, 07:07:26 AM...
No.

Stop promoting your mods, they suck.

In real life, if you live in the woods and you have a cat attacked by a wolf, your dog will not go to save the cat.

What people are asking here is unnatural. Just plain lame.

Oblitus

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on August 24, 2017, 08:23:46 AM
Quote from: Oblitus on August 24, 2017, 07:51:09 AM
Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on August 24, 2017, 07:07:26 AM...
No.

Stop promoting your mods, they suck.

In real life, if you live in the woods and you have a cat attacked by a wolf, your dog will not go to save the cat.

What people are asking here is unnatural. Just plain lame.
So, shepherds are keepeng their dogs just for company? M'kay.

NeverPire

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on August 24, 2017, 08:23:46 AM

I really wonder how with the actual potentiality of internet somebody can say something like that without even inquire.
Unfortunately I don't find the precise example you give due to the lack of wild wolves but there are thousands of videos of pets defending each others.

Furthermore, about your "lesson", keep in mind some very effective bases let a path with traps or a kill-box to herd opponents. Wild animals can go through them without being injured and reach the inside of the base. There, they can attack all they want.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Zoolder

It's quite the accusation to say I'm bad, I've got hundreds of hours logged and consider myself quite experienced. I don't find the game hard anymore, and I'm just suggesting realistic behavior for animals, it just kinda makes sense. Especially bulls, emus and other animals that are literally kept by farmers to protect other animals.

I really don't see why you wouldn't want this in the game, especially if it's toggleable, like just because you can make a wall means animals should act robotic?

Yoshida Keiji

The shepards example is bad. Dogs go fetch the sheeps that have gone stray, but there's always the person overviewing the dogs over them. Shepherding as a new game feature is something I would welcome with arms open as new job subtype, that would be lovely...for biomes were that is possible that is.

Inquiring examples... I lived surrounded by pets all my life.

I let my cats go to unrestricted areas...home roof, neighbor homes and seen cats jump from house to house were dogs would NOT follow. I never had tamed wolfs or wargs...thrumbos...

I did however had pets that were bonded to each other somehow as they grew together.... so if you were to take this case in game... then both pets must have a shared in-base birth, same or near identical age. I had friendly cats & dogs like that, but I know its unsuccessful when they both meet each other as adults.

I don't play with Killboxes, it's un-fun. While using them or not any defense strategy will still rely it's principle on beating the same AI programing but I choose to face the enemies instead of hiding behind a room. That I leave to each their own... But I believe I will end up a better player in the long run if I don't need a killbox. Turtle over rabbit for me. So if that is a killbox "cons", rewarding players like me for not using them is a total "pros". Serves them well for going the lower efforts way.

In my opinion the game has zero challenge if players go killbox-way and I would really love to see Tynan S coming up with a new Alpha that nukes such cheesy gameplay.

Oblitus

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on August 24, 2017, 01:36:35 PM
The shepards example is bad. Dogs go fetch the sheeps that have gone stray, but there's always the person overviewing the dogs over them. Shepherding as a new game feature is something I would welcome with arms open as new job subtype, that would be lovely...for biomes were that is possible that is.
Shepards yes, but there are also livestock guard dogs. Specialized on fending off predators. And not only dogs. Llamas or alpacas can efficiently act as ones too.

Yoshida Keiji

Yes, I can completely agree for pack animals. If a tamed wolf is being attacked, other tamed wolves should naturally go help their kindred. But then, if I were a Ludeon developer, I would make tamed animals weaker than wild/stray animals. Domesticated pets tend to lose aggressiveness due to receiving food while those in natural environments must hunt to eat.

Oblitus

There are mods to make predators hunt for their food, or even to hunt for you.

I think it should be a specialized training. Without it only pack animals react when one of their kind is attacked (already exists, just should have aggressive response instead of panic only), with the training any animal respond to any attack on your faction.

kubolek01

While having approximately 40 foxes in colony, losing one is not a problem. Bonded ones MUST be restricted,  and then predators are always annihilated by 20 armed people running from all sides.
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.