[B18] Simple Rubber Bullets Mod

Started by fyarn, August 24, 2017, 03:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fyarn

Simple Rubber Bullets Mod

Description:
This mod adds the option to fire rubber bullets from guns, doing blunt damage and helping to incapacitate without killing. Use '\' to activate/deactivate. Rubber bullets are best for short-mid range incapacitation rather than long range firefights. Rubber bullets have the same damage as standard bullets at point-blank range, but scale down to 50% damage at max range.

Requirements/Limitations/Known Bugs
Requires Hugslib to be installed, and in the load queue before this mod's place.

- SimpleSidearms compatibility: Complete
- CombatExtended compatibility: Work In Progress

Updates
Nov 23 2017
B18 Update

Aug 24 2017
Initial Release

Author/Mod Team
fyarn

Download
Github (with Source): https://github.com/fyarn/RubberBullets-Mod
Direct: https://github.com/fyarn/RubberBullets-Mod/archive/master.zip
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1118796340

How to install (non-Steam Users):
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.
- No need for a new save.

Released under MIT License, please go ahead and include in modpacks or build off of this mod itself.

TheGakurniawan

The mod itself have some good concept, but there's some problem
1. show the version of the mod (A17, A16 etc)
2. Make it rubber bullet come out from a special gun would nerf this mod a bit.
3. make dis mod compatible with other gun mod (i'm using 20th century weapons mod, the \ to activate rubber bullet doesn't affect it in anyway)
4. as an alternative, make the activation of rubber bullet as a thing that you click, rather than using something in the keyboard ( \ / ), so it'll be easier to detect if the rubber bullets working or not
He dig
She dig
You dig
I dig
We dig
They dig

It's not a great poem
But it's pretty deep

Canute

There is only a way to made rubber bullets for other weapons, when you got a mod requirement to have ammo like CE.
Then you would need a extra patch for any weapon mod that is compactible to CE.

So the way just to add a special weapon with this damage type is a good and simple solution.
You can use the Simplesidearm mod and keep this pistol at sidearm.

XeoNovaDan

This mod would be imbalanced because by the looks of that screenshot, there's absolutely no hit to damage whatsoever. That, combined with the fact that armour has inferior blunt protection compared to sharp protection, means that you'd be better off using these 'rubber' bullets anyway over their metallic counterparts.

fyarn

Quote from: TheGakurniawan on August 24, 2017, 09:04:35 AM
The mod itself have some good concept, but there's some problem
1. show the version of the mod (A17, A16 etc)
2. Make it rubber bullet come out from a special gun would nerf this mod a bit.
3. make dis mod compatible with other gun mod (i'm using 20th century weapons mod, the \ to activate rubber bullet doesn't affect it in anyway)
4. as an alternative, make the activation of rubber bullet as a thing that you click, rather than using something in the keyboard ( \ / ), so it'll be easier to detect if the rubber bullets working or not

Good suggestions! My idea was to have this mod not be in place of gun mods, but rather to have a vanilla-ish way to use rubber bullets against prisoners and high value raiders. I'll see if I can make it more compatible though.

fyarn

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on August 24, 2017, 09:31:10 AM
This mod would be imbalanced because by the looks of that screenshot, there's absolutely no hit to damage whatsoever. That, combined with the fact that armour has inferior blunt protection compared to sharp protection, means that you'd be better off using these 'rubber' bullets anyway over their metallic counterparts.

You're correct that the bullets may do more damage against inferior armor, but they don't cause bleeding and don't penetrate causing damage as they go through. In other words if you want to incapacitate at a slower rate, use rubber bullets, if you want to kill or down quickly use sharp bullets.

What do you mean no hit to damage though?

fyarn

Quote from: Canute on August 24, 2017, 09:24:05 AM
There is only a way to made rubber bullets for other weapons, when you got a mod requirement to have ammo like CE.
Then you would need a extra patch for any weapon mod that is compactible to CE.

So the way just to add a special weapon with this damage type is a good and simple solution.
You can use the Simplesidearm mod and keep this pistol at sidearm.

That's a good suggestion, I don't play with CE or simplesidearm usually though, and wanted a mod that doesn't change much but still allows me to incapacitate with guns. If this gets popular enough (doubt it) then I'll incorporate it in other mods.

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: fyarn on August 24, 2017, 12:13:07 PM
In other words if you want to incapacitate at a slower rate, use rubber bullets, if you want to kill or down quickly use sharp bullets.

Although it's popular belief that blunt weapons are good for incapacitating, and they are to a degree, you're ultimately no less likely to kill somebody with blunt damage compared to sharp damage; limbs and other parts can still be 'destroyed', and that torso can still get to 0/40. Besides, there's the deal with the 67% chance of a non-colonist randomly dying upon being downed anyway, which is in no way governed by how they were downed.

I'm only judging by the colour of the text for the injured body parts here, but there doesn't seem to be any compromise to damage when using rubber bullets compared to standard. A standard bolt-action bullet does 18 damage, and a standard pistol bullet does 9 damge; rubber bullets look like they still do 18 and 9 damage respectively.

I could be completely wrong though, in which case you may feel free to correct this.

Hungry Colonist

Very interesting idea. A rubber shotgun would be nice (kinda like a crowd control thing).

About the CE compatibility, you can use patches as far as I know. I think it would be easier to just add the rubber guns and make a patch, rather then make a patch for every weapon to use rubber ammo.

You can just copy the already existing gun textures and just change them a bit (if you are not willing to make your own), or not change them at all and just put a different name for the weapon description.

fyarn

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on August 24, 2017, 12:31:54 PM
In other words if you want to incapacitate at a slower rate, use rubber bullets, if you want to kill or down quickly use sharp bullets.

Although it's popular belief that blunt weapons are good for incapacitating, and they are to a degree, you're ultimately no less likely to kill somebody with blunt damage compared to sharp damage; limbs and other parts can still be 'destroyed', and that torso can still get to 0/40. Besides, there's the deal with the 67% chance of a non-colonist randomly dying upon being downed anyway, which is in no way governed by how they were downed.

I'm only judging by the colour of the text for the injured body parts here, but there doesn't seem to be any compromise to damage when using rubber bullets compared to standard. A standard bolt-action bullet does 18 damage, and a standard pistol bullet does 9 damge; rubber bullets look like they still do 18 and 9 damage respectively.

I could be completely wrong though, in which case you may feel free to correct this.

You're completely correct. I was thinking about patching to reduce damage given, because as of now the bullets are just preventing piercing damage and bleeding out mid fight, not lowering DPS. Also nothing I want to do about the 67% death on downed chance, leave Randy to decide who lives I say.

fyarn

Quote from: Hungry Colonist on August 24, 2017, 12:38:00 PM
Very interesting idea. A rubber shotgun would be nice (kinda like a crowd control thing).

About the CE compatibility, you can use patches as far as I know. I think it would be easier to just add the rubber guns and make a patch, rather then make a patch for every weapon to use rubber ammo.

You can just copy the already existing gun textures and just change them a bit (if you are not willing to make your own), or not change them at all and just put a different name for the weapon description.

Dude. Think bigger. Rubber minigun for prison riots.

And thanks for the patching tip! I'm actually not using XML for anything but the keybinding, instead using dynamic def editing in C# (useful so player only fires rubber bullets, not raiders too).

Hungry Colonist

Dude. Think bigger. Rubber minigun for prison riots.
OMFG you're insane!
Rubber grenades anyone? That would be a BLAST!!! :'D

And thanks for the patching tip! I'm actually not using XML for anything but the keybinding, instead using dynamic def editing in C# (useful so player only fires rubber bullets, not raiders too).

You're welcome!

I have no problems with raiders firing rubber bullets too, but if I was a raider I wouldn't use rubber bullets if it wasn't for kidnapping porpuses (even then I think I'd just shoot the leg or something, OMG I'm thinking like them x-x)

Let me know if you need any ideas or help with textures.

fyarn

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on August 24, 2017, 09:31:10 AM

Now rubber bullet damage scales from 100% at point blank range to 50% at max range, offsetting the armor difference and making it preferable to use standard bullets in large, long range firefights.

Apposl

Thank you! I was just thinking about this today. :) Downloaded and installed, will let ya know!