How to make a melee weapon that is made out of stuff have a ranged attack?

Started by Dragoon, August 27, 2017, 02:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragoon

I wanted to make a mace with a pile bunker for a short ranged attack. I know the bullet def is what makes the weapons range damage, set but I wanted to make it cost stuff so if you made it out of stronger material the melee damage scales up, even if the range damage does not.

I am able to make it, but when I set it to cost stuff it crashes. I can have it set to specific materials but I would like for it be able to be costing stuff. Can anyone help?

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Distman

I've had no luck making weapons with more then one verb (melee + projectile).

Can't help you with the crash though. Have you checked the output log?

kaptain_kavern

I think I recall there is weapons that are both melee and distance in one of the Rimsenal weapon pack (maybe Feral but I'm not that sure which one)

ziame

check out nandonalt's arsenal or armoury - he has there a fire extinguisher. it has both a ranged attack ("grenade") and melee.

Dragoon

Quote from: ziame on August 28, 2017, 11:22:41 AM
-snip
Quote from: kaptain_kavern on August 28, 2017, 12:40:31 AM
-snip-
Quote from: ziame on August 28, 2017, 11:22:41 AM
-snip-

Sorry, I should clarify. I am able to make a melee a ranged, but you know how longswords can be made out of a multitude of materials? Well, I want to do that with the mace. I know that the damage for the ranged attack won't change but if it's made of out plasteel instead of steel than the melee damage would be stronger.
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

SpaceDorf

Have you tried making a gun from stuff, just for the sake of clarity ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Dragoon

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 28, 2017, 02:22:35 PM
Have you tried making a gun from stuff, just for the sake of clarity ?

Yes. I am able to make guns from stuff, that's how I found out that the material of the gun does not affect the the damage of the bullet.

SpaceDorf

So it only blows up when you give the stuffed weapon the melee verb ?

Dragoon

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 29, 2017, 08:17:48 AM
So it only blows up when you give the stuffed weapon the melee verb ?

Yes, it has really got me confused as to why it would only do that when both verbs are added.

Dragoon

Here is an example of a gun made out of stuff.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

SpaceDorf

I was contemplating what the difference between guns and melee weapons is.
And I thought that I never saw a gun with a material designator ( steel rifle, plasteel rifle )

If this designator gets removed from a gun the melee part gets confused.