Weapon Modifiers

Started by Celthric Aysen, May 09, 2014, 09:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celthric Aysen

Weapon Modifiers either give's a debuff or a buff to weapon,
for example
i have a pistol with a modifier of Broken, then it means that its broken and has a slower warm up.
another example is if i have an M16 with a modifier of goldly, that means that it gets a buff with higher damage and faster warm up speed.
This system was also made an appearance in Terraria,and guildwars or even Borderlands.
I can explain further
FAQ:
Quote from: SSS on May 09, 2014, 09:38:33 PM
How would you achieve this? Would the weapons spawn with preexisting modifiers? Would there be a separate item that modifies the weapon? Or would it be skill/job related (gaining/losing the modifier at, say, a weapon building table)?

Given that it's alpha, we may end up with more weapons in the future. Are weapon modifications needed this early on?
Quote from: Blackjack1000K on May 09, 2014, 09:47:12 PM
Weapons will spawn with preexisting modifiers, and i know that the game will get more weapon variations in the future, but it would be cool if every weapon will be unique and and have their own different stats.
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

SSS

How would you achieve this? Would the weapons spawn with preexisting modifiers? Would there be a separate item that modifies the weapon? Or would it be skill/job related (gaining/losing the modifier at, say, a weapon building table)?

Given that it's alpha, we may end up with more weapons in the future. Are weapon modifications needed this early on?

In any case, it sounds interesting.

Celthric Aysen

Weapons will spawn with preexisting modifiers, and i know that the game will get more weapon variations in the future, but it would be cool if every weapon will be unique and and have their own different stats.
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

SSS

Quote from: Blackjack1000K on May 09, 2014, 09:47:12 PM

Cool beans.

+1

MrDecay

Cool idea, I liked this in Terraria
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
-Thomas Edison

Jamodon

I also like this idea; I think it would add personality and story. I remember getting a minigun from a trader early one game and imaging one of my characters as "the TF2 Heavy Weapons guy" the whole game. But when I have 3 copies of multiple guns, it becomes difficult to treat them as anything more than convenient objects. Some ideas for weapon modifiers, beyond just simple "+5 damage." Most of these seem pretty cheap to implement too.

Spray-and-Pray: aim time is reduced to 1/4 of its original value, but miss chance is drastically increased.

Cruel: weapon does 1.5x damage, but upon hit, target can not be incapacitated for 30 seconds (target can still die).

Piercing: bullets go through enemies, stopping only upon hitting terrain.

Ultra-tech Piercing: bullets go through EVERYTHING, and only disappear when they leave the map.

Concussive: stuns targets hit.

Blunt Bullets / Cinematic Knockback: substantially increases knockback (targets should go flying!).

Poisoned: weapon does damage-over-time after hit.

Incendiary: weapon does reduced damage but sets target on fire

Poor Aerodynamics: weapon does extra damage at close range but reduced damage at high range.

Illegal Modifications: does 3x damage, but has a 0.1-1% chance of exploding every time it is fired. Explosion destroys the weapon and does something like 75 damage to the user and those nearby (instantly incapacitating a full health colonist, killing a wounded one).

Vorpal: has a small chance to instantly kill the target regardless of HP.

Excessive Recoil: knocks the user back slightly when fired.

Terrifying: being hit by this weapon slightly increases the likelihood of raiders fleeing (could use same code as seeing gibbet cages). Most appropriate for a weapon with another power-boosting modifier.

Target Identification AI: can not hit allies. Very fast aim time against enemies actively shooting, long aim time against unaware enemies/animals.

Silenced: less likely to draw aggro from enemies (especially when other targets are available).

Obnoxiously Loud: much more likely to draw aggro from enemies.

Tidy: hitting enemies with this weapon produces no blood splatters.

Piecemaker: hitting enemies with this weapon produces 5x normal blood splatters, and killing them with this weapon produces chunks of human meat instead of a corpse.

Designed by the People Who Make Control Panels in Star Trek: has a small chance of setting user on fire every time he or she is hit.

Mix and match these types of modifiers with increases or decreases in damage, aim time, range, accuracy, and number of bullets for extremely unique weapons! For balance purposes, keep in mind that players will use the best weapons and discard the worst, so unless the "average" modified weapon is less powerful than the vanilla average weapon, increasing the variance in weapon strength will increase player power. And even then, late-game colonists may be carrying all-positively-modified weapons, so late game raids will need to increase in power to maintain difficulty.

Sion

Quote from: Blackjack1000K on May 09, 2014, 09:11:45 PM
Weapon Modifiers either give's a debuff or a buff to weapon,
for example
i have a pistol with a modifier of Broken, then it means that its broken and has a slower warm up.
another example is if i have an M16 with a modifier of goldly, that means that it gets a buff with higher damage and faster warm up speed.

A modifier of Laser Sight gives much better aim

Quote from: Jamodon on May 13, 2014, 01:23:37 PM
Piecemaker: hitting enemies with this weapon produces 5x normal blood splatters, and killing them with this weapon produces chunks of human meat instead of a corpse.

Also called Bazooka or RPG :P
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Jamodon on May 13, 2014, 01:23:37 PM
Designed by the People Who Make Control Panels in Star Trek: has a small chance of setting user on fire every time he or she is hit.

This, Just this.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite