(wip) Tribal Culture! (looking modder for help)

Started by SrGrafo, August 28, 2017, 09:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SrGrafo

>:( Make tribals great again!   ///sorry for my english btw///

(work in progress) So this mod focus on a complete oposite research evolution of a colony. If you are here its because you probably like tribals, some players do the "tribals start" to have a "challenge" but no matter what you do, in rimworld (at least in rough/extreme) you must get tech to survive, raids, mechanoids etc.

As a tribal colony fighting mechanoids is narnia, your only way is to hope they step on tons of traps (which each one adds a lot of wealth) so the more traps the more nonsense raids, in other words as a tribal colony, fighting mechanoids or sieges is like a toodler fighting a wall.

So this is what I have been working on, an actualy viable research path for the tribals

as you know, the research tree, goes kind of like this

Basicaly you start as a toddler and end up rambo

and every player that wants to go tribal, yes they can for like that tiny period of time at the beginning, cause if you are tribal and you survive your first armed raid with shotguns, AND you steal the weapons tecnicaly you are no longer in your same tech level as a ttribal colony, cause from a bow/spear you moved to a shotgun just by picking up from raiders.

and its annoying in harder difficulties that "thats the way to get weapons, steal them" instead of "I teached myself how to make weapons from scratch"

so what I want is a research tree that goes the other way, like this

making posible for the player to actualy explore the tribal culture, and in other words, "STAY" tribal, so this is quite simple, we just need to take core points from the right tree and put them in a way to work in the left tree

like this
(these are just random examples btw)

have been looking for mods that do this but didnt find much, the coolest mod I found is Tribal Esscentials, which does an awesome thing to add leather beds, but mostly just that, all the other things it adds are nice yet nothing that would actualy help against high tech enemies.

so after not finding more tribal love mods, started to make one, taking the good things from certain ones like leather beds concept from that one, or the same way fashionrimsta adds a lot of cool clothing For Arrivals, it would be cool to have the same amount of clothing For Tribals

so, will be posting the mod here soon, (just no point in posting it yet since all the items are just unbalanced and a lot is with random values, which requires testing and testing to get good numbers)

what I am looking for is, Ideas! if you are a tribal lover and have suggestions or ideas shoot them up, (also if want to help codewise that would be highly apreciated since I am a terrible modder, took me an hour just to *kind of* get to know how to add clothing)

current things planned

- tribals are focused on wood, they dont get electricity but they can craft other fancy things that solve better light and air conditioner
- (for later) a different trap that doesnt cause Cut damage but instead Bruise damage (focused for capturing or just downing raiders without cuts)
- scalating art structures, being able to research more and more beuty items that you can just place them without requiring pawn to have good art level
- (have no idea how to atm but) Sniper bow, more range and more damage yet as advanced in research as an assault rifle
- clothing like fashionrimsta, I mean clothing focused on improving different aspects

I think thats in my head atm  ;D

SpaceDorf

I like the idea, the problems you describe are what keeps me from playing tribals,
it's just slower as spacer start, which creates boredom.
And I love the heck out of this slate-grey ground tile.

I got some Ideas, I just list them :

Catapults and Scorpions as Mortar and manned Towers come to mind.

Other methods of food preparing ( smoked meat and so on )

refining herbal medicine to a more potent medicine and natural drugs, leeches and such.
shamanistic rituals as alternate treatment methods

more alternative weapons, I have seen slings so far, maybe a "combined" weapon - spear and shield. Spearthrowers. Burning Arrows.
Some kind of grenade from pebbles and molotov

I have seen a mod with alternate communication methods ( carrier pidgeons )
ways to make animal husbandry more effective.

.. i am out for now.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

SrGrafo

QuoteCatapults and Scorpions as Mortar and manned Towers come to mind.
someone also told me that they should have catapults as a long range weapon (equivalent to mortars) sounds good

pretty much all of the others also sound as a must have, from better food/medicine made by them, atm changing art style, not for clothing but at least for constructions so it feels more like vanilla art

while this is more easy to make (research spot)

I am changing it to this

so it goes along with the current art of the game.

I am testing atm and think the first steps as a tribe are:

1) construct these 1x1 research spots, they just cost 30 wood but have 0.3 research efficiency
2) construct cuttingstone spot and tailoring spot (same as their respective benches but 1x1 in the floor)

now need to figure out how to make these, the research spot was adapted from other mod, will check

SrGrafo

changing some images to fit better the vanilla style, added Fireflies Spot and Glow Lamps

Fireflies Spot is a super cheap light system that works like a torch but cant be refueled, so once you place it it will get destroyed in like 2 days, handy for using little wood to iluminate places temporarely.
costs like 3 wood, last 1 day before running out

Glow Lamp its an improved torch that can last aprox 2 quadrums with a refueling of 20 wood, this is high tech and it should have the same level of use as lamps.
costs like 100 wood to make the starter one

those are just initial values, needs balancing for sure but their uses are clear, each one of these lamps will have a research tree required

Canute

At first, don't you think you should move your thread to the unfinished subcategory ?

You realy create very nice images for all the stuff keep going !! :-)

QuoteGlow Lamp its an improved torch that can last aprox 2 quadrums with a refueling of 20 wood, this is high tech and it should have the same level of use as lamps.
costs like 100 wood to make the starter one
20 wood for 2 quadrums ? That would require a pretty complex wood feed mechanic. And 2 quadrums are far to long, 1 is enough.

I would suggest to create a fuel-recipe like oil/wax created from meat, or a special plant. (Jecrel's
And the build cost should be stoneblocks to create a fire-proofed barrel for the fuel.

Techgenius

This mod looks awesome! why not move it to the unfinished?  yeah..

Been playing a lot with tribals lately. If you want a beta-tester. I'm here.

Modraneth

hello,
i dont know if u will like but i love the tribal and medieval stuff
some of the existing mods already touch this like some fur vests and melee weapons

weaponry:
2 handed - battleaxes, great-swords and war-hammers
1 handed - shield and swords / axes
range  - fire-arrows, darts (soporific and deadly venom)
machinery - catapults

defenses:
walls where the colonist could shoot
traps like pits, bear-traps, walls shooting arrows
towers where the colonist can shoot scorpios (like the mortars but the colonist stay inside it)

farm:
mills where we use the wind to make bread or other stuff (no bigger then the wind turbine)
can cook fruit salads, porridge
can brew wine and rum

medicine:
medicinal plants with secondary effects instead of drugs

prison:
new layout, iron bars, torture tools, prison furniture

new faction or merchants only selling medieval stuff
benches just for medieval stuff, so no t-shirt with ties to craft or other stuff
carriages instead of transport pods
new medieval vests
tribal faction are friendly with each other, but neutral or enemy with industrial or higher
to balance range and melee weaponry from tribal can have more chance of hit

quartercircles

I really like the direction you're going in, and funny enough it's exactly the direction/style of what I was going to look for in mods today :)

Really like the all the custom sprites in the top pic.

SrGrafo

Quote from: Techgenius on August 31, 2017, 12:59:18 PM
This mod looks awesome! why not move it to the unfinished?  yeah..

Been playing a lot with tribals lately. If you want a beta-tester. I'm here.

hey thanks man! now I dont want to sound dumb but, how does one move one post to another forum folder (unfinished)?

Quotehello,
i dont know if u will like but i love the tribal and medieval stuff
some of the existing mods already touch this like some fur vests and melee weapons

Hey man, I am also in love of medieval things, tried the medieval times + medieval world and its amazing, however they are already doing medieval pretty good, the focus I want to make its a whole world for the tribals (tecnicaly tribals and medievals could exists toguether) but what I mean is, things like battleaxes, great swords etc, its something the medieval aspect can work, what I was thinking in the other side, instead of giving tribals the firepower of something equal to a Mortar, why not something advanced like this

imagine it is as an advanced research,  its strong as mortars cause you can neutralize various enemies inmediatly yet completely different since instead of shredding their bodies, it just puts then instantly to sleep, the balance here would be how expensive is to make these darts and how much research they require, but ideas like this to make this mod compatible with medieval or other technological mod

on a more important note I just realized my mod is incompatible with all my other mods and/or corrupted, and the reason for this is simple, I am terrible at modding, thought copying files from core and editing values here and there would be enough but clearly its not the way to go, so I am looking for someone that would like to help me work on the mod.

Your skills only require to know how to add apparel and like 3 new tables  :D I can do all the art and help with the balancing/ideas, if anyone is interested to help that would be awesome!

Modraneth

SrGrafo

Quote from: Modraneth on September 02, 2017, 08:38:53 AM
well i send u pm but i dont think u read it

oh hey man! so sorry I am not too familiar on the layout of the site, so I keep ludeon in a tab to check if there are posts in the forum but didnt see the messages tab, just checked the files, wondering if you would be interested in getting into discord or something so we can work it better, I can make more images and less code errors if I have someone to work with  :D

the only 2 things needed would be some extra furniture/temperature (for lamps) and just apparel which this code seems good, if you are interested hit me a message (will check them now) if not will start checking how to edit these files  :)

Modraneth

well i dont think i will have the time, my holidays are over, next week i will be back to my job and i dont have time :/
i can help with little things, but cant help u with the work, just some pointers about the little i know

The-Eroks

This stuff looks amazing (and did you do those drawings yourself? Also amazing). I'm working on a fantasy total conversion, which includes a (planned) significant tribal overall. I wouldn't have any problem with helping you on the .xml side of the house. PM me  ;)

SrGrafo

Quote from: The-Eroks on September 04, 2017, 12:28:09 PM
This stuff looks amazing (and did you do those drawings yourself? Also amazing). I'm working on a fantasy total conversion, which includes a (planned) significant tribal overall. I wouldn't have any problem with helping you on the .xml side of the house. PM me  ;)

hey! yes I did those images and tried to put them as a mod but my xml skill are clearly really bad xd, sent you a pm about the help! o//

Techgenius

Well.. you could just create a new thread there, or I think... you could ask one of the moderators to move your thread.