(wip) Tribal Culture! (looking modder for help)

Started by SrGrafo, August 28, 2017, 09:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SrGrafo

Quote from: Techgenius on September 05, 2017, 09:52:53 PM
Well.. you could just create a new thread there, or I think... you could ask one of the moderators to move your thread.

alrighty will pm one of the moderators, if nothing happens in a while will create it again in unfinished  :)

Erok031

Soo how is it going with the mod, love the idea, wanted this mod for a long time now. Could you tell us when its gonna get released? Anyways, good luck with the mod cant wait for it!

GrimTrigger

I too have been playing around with Tribals... currently use a mod that adds medieval equipment and one that removes spacer and pirate factions... essentially removes all of the higher tier tech so I will very rarely come across firearms in the world.  Its been an interesting play through so far, and makes the very few firearms Ive come across super valuable. 

Ive got another thread here requesting a pot-in-pot (zeer) mod, in other words an ancient refrigerator.  I look forward to any additions to my tribal playthrough.

Edit:  another suggestion, tanning racks

Mantiarco

Have you ever played a game named Haven and Hearth? If not, It is a game that has a lot of, lets say, wilderness survival content. I think it would be worth to take a look and get some ideas.

Anyway, I was thinking about hauling carts, which may allow the colonist that "equips" it to take like 4 stacks of anything instead of 1 by the same time, rowboats or rafts that may allow faster travel on world map in water tiles (ATM I play at a rainforest that sucks walking). Well, you could merge with rainbeau fishing mod to add fishing rafts?

Speaking about water, I really think that feels ankward that sandbox-survival games often ignores the importance of water. Hydratation is way more important than nutrition, you know. I dont know if this suggestion will really fit on the main theme of your idea, but adding a meaning for water, even if its only for farming or cleaning, would be good. Also, make rain boost fertility while it is up or maybe even some days after it, like if it has flooded the farmland.

EDIT: Please, make sun-heated mud bricks or shallow water clay (for those playings on a flat extreme desert with a huge river and no building materials)

Nekokon

I think you should clearly set main selling point of this mod first. From what's currently here I can only see stuffs that enhances vanilla tribal gameplay (which gears toward high tech at end game by default) rather than a cultural tribal gameplay. Same game, just different looks like stone age or medieval.

I can suggest a few ideas here:

1. Try steering away from the powercreep of the default game. Replacing a gun with a bow with the same stat won't change the way you play the game. Instead, try focusing on alternative method like fighting with animals (many ppl have been playing with this), making different kind of traps with other effect than just do dmg/kill (ex, an oil trap with big range which you can set on fire quickly when raiders passing by, use rotten meat trap to hit raiders with bad mood debuff and bait nearby predators into attacking them, grow plants that release poisonous spore around one area where raiders have to go thru, down a boomalope and place it around the corner...). Those orthodox methods scream tribal much louder than having wooden bow which can piece heavy armor.

2. Focusing on something else rather than combat (which is the main reason why you need to up tech in the first place). Try to ram up the wildness and force your tribal to focus on survival: extreme weather/temperature, lower crop yield, increase wild plants and animal.

Go further by  cultivate wild plan, raise a herd, add more needs like having to dig a well to get water for crop or build an aqueduct connecting the closest lake/river, daily task of clearing the area from dangerous plants or predators which keeps popping up every few days, add bad events like pest eating crop, disease for animals.

Make more production chains: wheat (crop) > flour (from manual mill or windmill) > bread (earthen oven); fat (from butchering, along with meat) > candle to replace torch; meat + salt (mined or make from salt field in sea tile) > jerky (on drying rack, which will get ruined if it rains).
Increase the rate of natural events and reduce raids (or play on tribal only planet)

The main point is to make you focus on staying alive/thriving in the wild rather than having to compete fire power with raiders - a completely different way to play which really touches the cultural part of playing tribal, rather than just a normal game with handicap.

Harry_Dicks

Hello SrGrafo, I am a big fan of your artwork and comics. I am curious what you are planning on doing with the work you have started on this mod? I think the textures you have shown in the previews look incredible. Anyway, I wanted to ask, and I completely understand if you are against anything like this. But if you are not planning on continuing production of this mod, would you ever consider releasing what you have, so that the community may build upon it?

I have been building my own little mods recently, and I think your textures look very special and unique. I am not implying give them to me exclusively, or anything. I just would not like to see any of your fantastic work sit idle to be forgotten. Thank you! :)