[1.2] Sparkling Worlds - Glittertech on the Rim

Started by Albion, August 29, 2017, 10:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Well to be perfectly honest I mostly don't want to  8)
It's a nice and interesting idea but it would require a decent amount of work, specifically work I never did before, which always takes longer because I need to learn how to do it.
I'll put it on my (long) list of features I want to eventually implement but for now I'm going to focus on features I know how to do and new pawns/vehicles are not one of them.
Unfortunately I don't get paid for modding and have to work a real job so my free time is rather limited.

Canute

BattleMech, special the one's from these game are far beyond from superior. Even ClanMech's arn't much better.
There are allready better tech's in Rimworld mod.
If you could shrink a 100t clan mech into big human size, combine it with shield projector and effective cooling system it would much more impressive.
Basicly a Scyther, with mobile shield emitter from ED, mobile mortar and long range minigun if we speak at Rimworld terms :-)

But with the Giddy-up mod, it should be pretty easy to create a rideable Mech which your Mechwarrior can ride.
Like the Vehicles Walking Problem made for his trading caravan's.

Umbreon117

Quote from: Albion on May 02, 2018, 10:12:02 AM
Well to be perfectly honest I mostly don't want to  8)
It's a nice and interesting idea but it would require a decent amount of work, specifically work I never did before, which always takes longer because I need to learn how to do it.
I'll put it on my (long) list of features I want to eventually implement but for now I'm going to focus on features I know how to do and new pawns/vehicles are not one of them.
Unfortunately I don't get paid for modding and have to work a real job so my free time is rather limited.
Perfectly understandable.

If you decide to do it in the future though, I recommend doing something to be more around the Centipede in durability, size, and firepower...kind of like a Knight class titan from Warhammer.
(Don't make a literal Knight. Rimworld can't handle its power)
I'll shoot your colonists...After a long nap.

gentou

QuotePsychic emitter event
An ancient psychic emitter reactivated and is sending a powerful drone. Go out and destroy it or endure the drone until it shuts down again.

Sadly i cannot attack it. I cant even right click it. My pawns just standing there, and watching it. Had to use dev mod to get rid of it.

Canute

Did you try to select and uninstall or deconstruct it ?
Thats a reward item for you base to boost mood.

matheryn

hey albion,

love your mod, I generally try to add it to most of my packs, well the ones that I let go beyond industrial.

one thing that has got me thinking though your mod is called sparkling worlds - glittertech on the rim which to me sounds like it should be top of the notch new tech so what I was thinking is maybe add plasma cannons or plasma guns where they shoot well plasma obviously and give them a %chance that if there target dies from the plasma shot it has that %chance of being turned into a pile of goo which means no loot but also no threat. Would also mean that a means of getting plasma to make the guns would need to be though of aswell unless you have these guns specifically buy from trade ship only as a uber rare item.

another thing I was also thinking of would be a lazer mine where if an enermy steps on it there zapped with 1000 volts and are immobilised for x amount of time

Tomasdav

Quote from: matheryn on May 05, 2018, 05:18:03 AM
hey albion,

love your mod, I generally try to add it to most of my packs, well the ones that I let go beyond industrial.

one thing that has got me thinking though your mod is called sparkling worlds - glittertech on the rim which to me sounds like it should be top of the notch new tech so what I was thinking is maybe add plasma cannons or plasma guns where they shoot well plasma obviously and give them a %chance that if there target dies from the plasma shot it has that %chance of being turned into a pile of goo which means no loot but also no threat.
Dude do you even science? Plasma gun fires projectile of plasmafied gas or really really hot metallic rods only called plasma because its like really hot, but the energy inside this shot is not enough to turn whole body into dust maybe like destroy the things dead pawn wears on body part hit

Canute

When a pawn got hit by a spaceship plasma cannon and he isn't far away.
He might got burned to dust within a second.
But if he got hit by just a small slow projectile he might get a heavy burning wound.
If the projectile is fast enough to get into the corpse, it heat up the organ and blood, turn them into steam, and the corpse explode. Btw. same happen with a high energy laser.

And not to speak, where is your energy generator on a truck you would need to power such kind of plasma gun ! :-)

matheryn

Quote from: Canute on May 05, 2018, 07:03:46 AM
When a pawn got hit by a spaceship plasma cannon and he isn't far away.
He might got burned to dust within a second.
But if he got hit by just a small slow projectile he might get a heavy burning wound.
If the projectile is fast enough to get into the corpse, it heat up the organ and blood, turn them into steam, and the corpse explode. Btw. same happen with a high energy laser.

And not to speak, where is your energy generator on a truck you would need to power such kind of plasma gun ! :-)

wasent referring to scientific realism was referring to becoming a goo pile simular to the way other games that use plasma weapons work IE Fallout/Mass Effect/Divinity/x-com

The way you presented this rebuttle is that everything is this game is realistic or works according to science but that is not the fact on a lot of things

Albion

Quote from: gentou on May 04, 2018, 06:20:58 PM
Sadly i cannot attack it. I cant even right click it. My pawns just standing there, and watching it. Had to use dev mod to get rid of it.

Did you ever had the ancient ship part crash event? You'll get a thing quite like it. You actually have to darft your pawn, select attack and click on the emitter so they start shooting it. Once it is destroyed you'll even get some loot.

Regarding the whole plasma discussion: I actually studied physics and know how plasma works. That being said Rimworld sacrifises realism for gameplay quite a lot and nobody knows how future tech might develop especially in regards to power generation and storage.
However... If you guys look at the feature list for this mod you might notice something there: a plasma gun.
I already implemented one a few months ago. It shoots rather inaccurate (except at close range) but deals insane amounts of damage whatever it hits.
Right now I'm quite happy with the current implementation and don't really want to change it that much. The same goes for other new guns. There are already a lot of gun mods for rimworld available adding a ton of new weapons. I don't really think there is a need for much more of them.
The turning people into goo idea is interesting but not that easy to implement so for now I'll leave it as is and focus my attention on other features.

The general idea of creating Sparkling Worlds was also to give the player more options to create items that were previously unattainable except via trading or as a quest reward. Stuff like mech serums, neutroamine, luciferium, ai persona cores, synthread...
My focus was to create a somewhat balanced experience while still being able to craft and use rare high-tech items. Creating and implementing new high-tech items wasn't and still isn't a high priority right now.
If you have interesting ideas for new buildings or items though I'm happy to listen. Stuff like luciferium that increases health stats but has a drawback is nice. I wish I had come up with that one. However I don't really want to implement more ways to kill or incapacitate pawns right now, except if it's an interesting new idea.

What I'm trying to say here is:
If you have an interesting idea for glitterworld items or maybe building that are somewhat balanced I'm happy to hear you out.
More guns or ways to kill people however are not a priority right now especially since there are a lot of other mods that already implemented most ideas anyway.

nefarian11

Regarding the plasma goo thing. I remember a Shoddycast video explaining how a Fallout plasma gun would work in reality...Turns out that you'd need a gun capable of shooting plasma at 5,762,237.76 kelvin degrees and to deliver the same amount of energy as 5 tons of TnT to gooify a behemoth. Granted, a behemoth is a lot bigger than a human, but still, it would make 0 sense in Rimworld to see a gun gooify anything.

Don't use Fallout guns as a basis for other games, it's even worse than wh40k xD

Tomasdav

Still wonder why they call it plasma gun in some games when it shoots melted metal rods tho

Canute

At example a Railgun, i hope you know how the basic's work.
It shoot metal rod's, but depend on the strenght of the magnetic field the rod don't just got accelerated, it even got heat up very strong.
And if you you have an ultra high capacity, the metal rod can even turn into somekind of plasma.
Or they use a gas-cartridge bullet. The magnetic field turn the gas inside into plasma, the cartridge get destroyed on impact, doing some damage and release the plasma.

matheryn

if you are looking for an idea for something to build there was a mod back in a16 or was it 17 i cant remember either way it looked like a cryocasket only standing up and you stepped in it and it allowed you to change your pawns traits at random, the only thing was that it would only give you the same amount of traits back no more no less but just random ones and each time you used it you gained a bit of insanity and if you over used it your pawn could die from brain hemorage.

I rather liked that one as it was not overpowered due to the fact that it gave you back a random set of traits instead of some of these mods out there in b18 where you can change or give or take away the traits at will.

Albion

The idea sounds interesting. Do you remember how the mod or the casket was called?
It would be way easier to implement if I have a basis to work off of to see how someone else did it so I can create my own adaptation.
I'll put it on my list of future updates. Currently I'm working on some other features though.

If you got more ideas like that: Keep them coming.