[1.2] Sparkling Worlds - Glittertech on the Rim

Started by Albion, August 29, 2017, 10:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Yeah looks like that's the one.
I just downloaded it and will keep it in mind when I'm looking for more stuff to implement. It's definitely more balanced than just "here, pick some awesome traits for your mary sue colonist".
Any other great ideas for items or buildings?

matheryn

i do have a couple of ideas but i don't think they have been created or rather coded

activator plates - step on them and they activate something either open/close or turn on/off

repeller or attractor pulse beacon - to attract or repel wildlife - great for traps or to get rid of those annoying annimals that hover around where your trying to build

Deep Water Barge - to haul items across deep water

swimming pool - outdoor joy source that also acts like larger social joy source

Charge Pods (bed type) - for andriods or robots

Sound Muffler - for making a selected radius quiet (shut those dam smurfs up but also for large animal barns)

planter bot - small robot that wanders randomly around slowly a zoned area planting grass

Storage sorter - attach to stockpiles and will automatically stack simular items that are not already in full stacks

Sauna - joy source to boost movement

Oil Fementer - A machine to combine animal meats and plants into different infused oils

Oil Burners - burns infused oils that radiate to a specific radius to boost specific skills IE aromatherapy or insense

Wall art - pictures or paintings to enspire skill sets

Crushing machine - to crush items into powdered form (bones)

Mixing machine - to mix things that have been crushed (bone powder and crushed vegetables to create bonemeal)

Albion

First up a disclaimer: I do modding for free in my spare time. Because of this I always balance other activities like hanging out with my fiance or playing video-/boardgames with modding. If I would get paid this would be a different story but I got a real job for that ;)

That being said I want to mention that implementing most features in Rimworld will take quite a bit of time. An idea might sound simple like: make guns use bullets (look at CE). However a feature like that might spiral out of control because of the way the game works under the hood and it'll take forever to implement something like it.

Therefore a feature must really capture my interest and ambition to get implemented. Otherwise I won't sacrifice my free time for it. I'm not saying I dislike most ideas but I also won't invest 10-40 hours (or more) of free time to create a feature that's just okay or somewhat interesting. It has to be great.

You mentioned quite a few interesting ideas but I think they'll all take 20+ hours of work (that's for each idea). Even understanding the code that is related to a few of them might take 10+ hours.
None of them really blew me away though to be honest. The mental adjustment device on the other hand grew on me quite a lot and I have it planned for a future releast.
If you got more stuff keep it coming. Maybe there is another winner in there  ;)

Some notes:

• You could suggest the deep water barge on the general mods subforum. Maybe someone else will pick it up.
  • I'm quite happy with the way joy works. I don't feel like the game needs more joy sources, allthough your ideas are interesting.
  • Maybe request the charge pods in the coresponding robot related mods.
  • Regarding the storage sorter you might want to look into stack merger. I think that one already does that.
  • There also is some wall related mod that allows for engraved walls that increase beauty. It also lets you smooth stones to stone walls. Not sure what it's called though.

matheryn

oh granted i understand you do this for free and for fun i was just suggesting some ideas per your request that's all weither you decide there worth it or not is entirely up to you and I'm quite happy with the work your doing with this mod and respect it very much so in no was was i expecting any if none at all of those ideas to bare any fruition  8)

P.S if anything i was keeping my fingers crossed for the M.A.D. mod (the traits one) as ive been really bummed ever since that modder stopped working on it but yeah as i said if it happens then great if it doesn't then no biggie

If you were getting paid for all this however as a full time job i think the number one thing on the list id ask for is this to be changed to 64 bit hahahahahaaha

Canute

I just got an idea about a new unique weapon.
Ok maybe not that unique since i think Rimatomics got maybe a similar but more working on an area effect base.
Electric discharger.
Since it need alot of energy, special stored energy, it will be a turret then a gun.
The turret use all connected stored power and release it into a massive single discharge/lighting which hit the target.
From the target it jumps over to the next target and repeat that a few times.
How often it does repeat depend on the stored power.
Min. power is 1000W, but wouldn't be 100% lethal but good chance for a heartstoke event.

Albion

I just wanted to emphazise it, matheryn because occasionally people tend to forget that most modders do this for free.
If I actually would develop Rimworld as my actual job multicore support and 64 bit support would be high up on the priority list, however I think there are actually other constraints which is why Tynan didn't include it yet (and probably never will).

As I mentioned the M.A.D. made it on my list of future releases and because there actually is a working (though outdated) version it is way easier to implement within a decent timeframe. I'm not saying it will be done tomorrow, probably not even next week... but maybe next month or the one after that.

Keep the ideas coming though. I can still ignore them but sometimes they can even inspire me to include it or put a spin on it and include a different version. My future-feature-list is growing a lot though. Way quicker than I'm able to include features.

Regarding the turret I have to say the idea has some interesting aspects even though I want to stay away from guns and turrets for now. However having a weapon that releases all stored energy in one blast, kind of like the zzzZZZt event is interesting. Maybe just one laser shot that has an explosion radius depending on the amount of energy released. I'll look into it and put it on the list.

tonsrd

•Mechanoid hive ship crash

how many spawn ( raid points ) ?

does it conflict with mods that change mechs ?

Mechanoids Extraordinaire

Albion

The hive ship contains 7 rooms with a high chance 73% I think to contain something like 5-9 mechanoids. Each room that is.
The event therefore doesn't really have raid points.
Mechanoids are spawned randomly and work with other mechanoid mods like Mechanoids Extraordinaire. The new mechanoids will spawn too.

Albion

Hey guys, I just released a new major content patch.
This includes the resurrection of an outdated mod: Mind Altering Device
It is included in the Full Mod or as a stand-alone Addon.
Enjoy changing your traits.

Additionally I created two new events:
Trade fair - Some caravan traders are gathering nearby to trade. Go out and trade with multiple caravans at once.

Infested ship chunks - Bugs from space! Some infested ship chunks fall down near your colony. They act like normal insect hives.

Minor fixes/changes:
The psychic wave emitter is now deconstructable which will yield the same rewards as destroying does.
The timer for forced exit was adjusted from 3 days to 4 for the normal ship crash event and 5 days for the mechanoid hive ship
Soldiers of the Blue Moon Corporation now have a unique health boost, increasing their sight and therefore shooting accuracy. It will go away if they are captured or imprisoned. To compensate for this the amount of raiders is reduced by about 10%.
Changed the letter labels for the surprise raids on the Thrumbo and ship crash site.

Albion

I would love to have some feedback regarding the newly re-created Mind Altering Device:
What do you think about the randomness of the traits?
Also I didn't look into it too closely but are there many mods that increase the maximum number of traits a pawn can have? I limited the new assignments to randomly 2 or 3 traits.

Up next I plan to implement a hunting lodge opportunity where a friendly faction will offer you the location of a nearby hunting ground with a known herd of animals and some already set up facilities like butchering table, dinner table and sleeping arrangements.
The next update will have to wait for about 2 weeks though because I'm getting married and am a bit busy because of that.

Canute

I only know
More trait slots
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36687.msg377038#msg377038
But since you are on steam, you can use the workshop search for it.

About the hunting lodge,
don't forget to add a smoke pit to smoke/dry all the meat. Or it will rot on the way back home :-)

Just 2 weeks for the update, no honeymoon vacation today anymore ?
I wish you the best to your wife and you for the future, have a succesful fight back all mothernoids ! :-)

Albion

Regarding the hunting lodge I plan to include a stove which can be used to create packed survival meal and/or pemmican.
No smoked meat though...

Regarding the honeymoon we don't have enough vacation days unfortunately. My wife is from another (Non-European) country and we'll visit her family in late September for 2 weeks for celebrations. Her brother and cousin will be attending the wedding though and visit us for about a week which is why we will be somewhat occupied and I won't have much free time starting Saturday.
Once this is done though I'll be back to modding. I already started work on the hunting lodge event.

Yoonic

Hello,
Thank you for making this wonderful mod, the events added are so fun to play with! Also, i
have an idea for the events. 

Faction Battle: An ally faction request your help in an upcoming battle against their enemy.
There might be different scales of the battle:
-Skirmish
-Large Battle
-All out war
The battle can, especially on the scale of all out war, be joined by other faction and not just your ally and their enemy, making it a 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 battle.
Conditions of victory and defeat:
-Victory: At least one of your ally faction have not ran away. All enemy faction(s) ran away or annihilated. 
-Defeat: All of your ally faction(s) ran away or annihilated.
Reward: some form of promised rewards like other events if the result is a victory.

Edit: I almost forgot, congratulation on your marriage!

Albion

Thank you for the idea Yoonic.
It is interesting, however another modder I know (Mehni) is currently working on a faction mod that increases faction interaction and will include spreading pirate outposts.
I passed the idea to him and he liked it a lot. He will probably implement it and since it's more fitting with his mod I won't. Stay tuned...

If you got any other suggestions though I'm always happy to listen. I already got a long list of stuff I want to implement but there is always space to add more or the possibility for an idea to jump ahead if I really like it or it's easy to implement.

Thank you for the congratulations by the way. One more week and I'll be a married man 8)