Town: Shops and a Bar

Started by mcreed, August 29, 2017, 10:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcreed

I started to think of our colony as a functional town for random strangers to enter. I think it would be a lot of fun if we were able to create stands to sell drugs/weapons/clothes to passerbys and have a bar for them to drink beer as a passive way to generate income. In this way, the game would have to make a distinction between non-colonists and colonists where the NPCs are basically non-citizens that can access your pubic facilities. The possibilities would be interesting as further on it could begin to delve into law enforcement, healthcare and housing for non-colonists.

Kenneth79

I think this is a good idea and a solution to travelling the world because it would solve the food problem issue. With a tavern nearby it can be used by the player to restock in food and mingle. It makes a more fun approach rather than just having the colonists trek a long journey. Instead, their are checkpoints in which they can restock and interact with people who are also traveling.

dogui

I find it interesting and fruitful (a new way to make money?), but premature.

Consider this:

first: we need more drugs alcoholics goods in general to be created (mostly for joy and vice) and nextly be sold.

second: we need mechanics to allow bar and shops (but i prefere to imagine them like old emporium, in the old-west style... would be more appropriate to game style). Setting a shop, or a bank of goods into an isolated colony does not make sense. Carovans are travelling shop, in a survival contest.
The only place in which I expect to find an emporium could be an important crossroad in the center of a faction, supplied fastly by charts of good. 

third: this is a survival game, so it easy to say that survivors do not find a bar at the angle of the street, to have cigarettes and bitters.

Bakar

This would help a lot as visiter and traders entering your colony could stay longer, and not just randomly walk into my colonists home,this could also make your relationship with that colony better.
And it would be cool if a few npcs went to your colony for a drink or two
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

mcreed

Quote from: dogui on August 30, 2017, 06:59:01 AM
I find it interesting and fruitful (a new way to make money?), but premature.

Consider this:

first: we need more drugs alcoholics goods in general to be created (mostly for joy and vice) and nextly be sold.

second: we need mechanics to allow bar and shops (but i prefere to imagine them like old emporium, in the old-west style... would be more appropriate to game style). Setting a shop, or a bank of goods into an isolated colony does not make sense. Carovans are travelling shop, in a survival contest.
The only place in which I expect to find an emporium could be an important crossroad in the center of a faction, supplied fastly by charts of good. 

third: this is a survival game, so it easy to say that survivors do not find a bar at the angle of the street, to have cigarettes and bitters.

I dont really think it would be too much to implement. There is already a mechanism in place to set a caravan spot or a marriage spot. It would just be a "bar" spot or a "shop" spot and the NPCs would just approach that spot and a script runs for them to hang out in surrounding chairs and purchase ale. The downsides might be events like a bar fight where you would have to intervene or someone attempting to rob your store. Im looking at the modders to really implement this kind of thing since I feel Ludeon would probably never get around to it.

ferrets

I really like this idea a lot!! I would love visitors to come by and chat with the colonists and have a drink and maybe buy some of the things we don't need. Honestly I really like this idea a lot I would be ecstatic to see it in rimworld!!!!!!

Boston

Rimworld doesn't even have the concept of private ownership locked down, and you expect there to be actual commerce?

mvargus

Quote from: Bakar on August 30, 2017, 10:12:06 AM
This would help a lot as visiter and traders entering your colony could stay longer, and not just randomly walk into my colonists home,this could also make your relationship with that colony better.
And it would be cool if a few npcs went to your colony for a drink or two

If you have the hospitality mod you can set a "visitor" area that limits where they can go.  If you set that as the default for visitors, it appears to also effect caravans.  Nice way to keep them out of your stockrooms and bedrooms.

Call me Arty

I actually really like this. I'd to see it with a sort of Hospitality Mod -type update, it'd fit right in.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!