Deadfall trap too weak

Started by Bakar, August 30, 2017, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakar

Deadfall traps are supposed to kill animals or at least injure so badly that they can barely move, instead they bleed a little (rarely ever fatal in my experience) and keep going. one of my colonies was almost destroyed by two manhunter cougars that just walked through my deadfall trap defence(one had scratch scars on both eyes because of the deadfall trap but it didnt down it down by that much)

All im saying is that deadfall trap should either give more damge in one area or give little damge over most of the animal that fall on it
Thanks for reading  :D
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

SurvivoroftheNoobs

Try using stone deadfalls maybe? I have a few sandstone and a few uranium ones and they kill or down just about anything. Except those goddam Thrumbos overpowered sonsabitches....

Canute

Baker,
did you notice you can build these traps with different materials then wood ? The strengh of the trap depend on the material you use.

Bakar

Thank you both i seem to have overlooked that, however in early game yoou mostly build them out of wood and in late game you dont really need them that much as your defences are really good (Explosives and turrets)

EstebanLB01

Still, the woodden needs to be buffed a little

Nameless

Once you manage to build steel/plasteel deadfall trap they can 1 shot raiders who is not well protected, even scythers if lucky.

asanbr

Quote from: Bakar on August 30, 2017, 11:11:21 AM
Thank you both i seem to have overlooked that, however in early game yoou mostly build them out of wood and in late game you dont really need them that much as your defences are really good (Explosives and turrets)

Try building them from steel instead, you can recycle it by deconstruction later.

Not sure why you need them though, I tried a few times but never really use them. They are too situational and require too much special construction and reloading imo

Have you tried other ways of defending?

Dargaron

To defend (no pun intended) Deadfall Traps...

1: They work regardless of solar flares
2: They require no rare resources (Components or Mortar Shells) to craft
3: They do not require significant research (admittedly, if you want Stone traps, you need stonecutting, but that's pretty much an essential tech at the bottom of the tech tree).
4: Enemies generally don't attack them, unlike turrets. Your turrets can be blown up: traps are forever.
5: It's fairly easy to funnel enemies into walking over them. The main exception is sappers: those you either skirmish with, or target with a mortar.

Apposl

Another new player (me) who had no idea that (duh) stronger materials would make stronger traps. Awesome. :)

Bakar

Thank you all for your input i think my mistake was too rely too much on deadfall traps.

Nameless

Relying on deadfall trap is fine. You can build your base around them so they go through hundreds of traps before they reach your base resulting in a much smaller amount of raiders and just fleet before they even get there.

For sappers hey are easy to deal with since they seem to always find the thinnest spot in your base and blows through there. Setup a bunch of defense at that spot and they will get insta-killed after breaking your walls. Or just simply psychic shock/insane the guy holding the grenades to turn the whole group into regular raiders.

TheMeInTeam

Steel traps do 60 point-focused damage.  They're very lethal and a viable replacement for turrets.  As a tribe I use them often.

Just like turrets, don't expect them to beat sappers or sieges though.  They are also not so good against mid-late game manhunter packs since those have so much beef in the HP department (and small ones don't trigger traps).  You can just gun those down in the trap corridor though, shutting the door(s) if they get close.