Neolithic Mortars

Started by Penguinmanereikel, September 01, 2017, 09:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penguinmanereikel

So I just had a random idea of having a low-grade neolithic mortar in the game, which would actually be a giant sling to pelt giant projectiles with/at us. It could also have special neolithic mortar ammo to go with it. This mortar could be limited in its range, accuracy or damage to a point that replacing it with an industrial mortar is preferred, but would be an option for tribal colonies and young colonies. They would also be the siege weapon for tribal raiders. What do you think?

Bakar

So basically a catapult....

Sounds good!
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

b0rsuk

It would make other factions less distinctive.

NeonOverIon

Have to agree with b0rsuk here; Neolithic colonies shouldn't just blend in with other types of colonies in order to maintain a balance in terms of power. In this case; long range superiority, should not be available to neolithic colonies, perhaps more melee - short range superiority would be more suitable, I'm talking more effective traps.

But if there has to be neolithic artillery; catapults, trebuchets or even ballistas would make good candidates.

b0rsuk

If anything, siege engines would be better to distinguish the medieval faction archetype. Don't forget slingshots are impossible in pre-industrial settings due to lack of rubber.

Medieval slings didn't use any kind of rubber. They used simple, inflexible cords. You placed a stone in the middle, held both ends of it, spun it, then released one end of the cord. How do you imagine doing that with a big rock ?

I think it would be completely fine for neolithic factions to struggle against fortified settlements! Sun Tzu's Art of War advises against sieging cities, and Chinese generals were far more sophisticated than neolithic hordes. Cities were just too expensive to siege. Neolithic factions could be an early game threat, and would stalk you if you travel across the planet.

If you insist that neolithic peoples should have siege capability, it should be something else, like trained war elephants to take down walls.

Dargaron

Ideally, lesser forms of artillery will be added when the tech tree gets fleshed out with more techs between "neolithic" and "industrial revolution." Seriously, artillery was a fairly late development: we get our first explicit mentions of artillery around 350 B.C., in the armies of Phillip of Macedon. That's...quite a while after "really nice flint tools" stopped being the latest and greatest thing.

There are quite a few things that could be added to fill out the middle parts of the tech tree: preserved meat (as opposed to Pemmican, which needs both meat and veggies), low-tech armor, etc. Katapeltai are one more.

gipothegip

I don't know, I think a catapult or trebuchet would be too advanced for neolithic factions, and would lessen their distinction. Their advantage is intended to be numbers, not technological abilities.

Of course, there is that elephant in the room of a lack of medieval factions and tech. They should exist given the premise and lore. The game mentions medieval worlds as well as designating some techs as medieval, and it's a significant gap for a game where any technological level could be encountered.

I do like b0rsuk's idea of trained animals being used in raids, though.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

Penguinmanereikel

When I say "Neolithic," I'm referring to the Tribal technologies described in RimWorld, like pemmican and passive freezers. Since the era of the game is set in the Wild West (1860-90s in our world), it's not too unreasonable that they wouldn't have this technology.
Yes, this technology is[/is] basically catapults, but they give a really complex and industrial feel than a simple giant slingshot.
Also, some say that it mixes the types of technologies together too much, then in that case, the slingshots could have damage, range and accuracy reduced to the point that many of them would be required to equal 2 mortars and they would be relatively closer to your base than a mortar. Additionally, their only food is a lot of pemmican and they would get new ammo delivered to them personally with longer intervals than in an Outlander or Pirate seige.

giannikampa

I'd like a woodden catapult that trows rock chunks as ammunition!
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Lowkey1987

Perhaps do it like in the mod medieval times. With medieval equipment. A tribe didnt need siege engines. Its not like you fight a 100 people and only shot into the mass. Or have to storm stone walls.

JimmyAgnt007

Or a trap that flings 'people' away from your base.

Lowkey1987

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on September 06, 2017, 12:06:33 PM
Or a trap that flings 'people' away from your base.
A giant spring!