Awesome experience I had tonight!

Started by lolasaurusrex1234, October 23, 2013, 09:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lolasaurusrex1234

I had a very intense session tonight with this game.

Since I got access to the pre-alpha, I think I've put roughly 30 hours into this bad-boy, so I thought I'd seen most of what this build had to offer. Boy was I wrong.

I started a new game and decided to play a base using the Random storyteller AI. I then set everything up like I usually do (solar generators, holding building, then bedrooms for the colonists etc.) Roughly an hour passed without any peep from the raiders. Eventually, I got a wave or two with only a couple of bodies being thrown at my defences. Meanwhile, I find several huge veins of iron, and being planting crops to sell. I manage to amass a small fortune of materials.

I use the free time to build a massive fortress, complete with defences, and a solar array. By the second hour of gameplay, I have 18 colonists, a stupid amount of resources, and enough guns to repel a small army.

Then this happened.

I haven't counted them, but there must have been 30+ raiders in this party. I immediately dropped everything, and send my guys to tool up in the armory.

Once everyone had a suitable weapon, I arranged most of my forces in a defensive line. The rest were spaced out behind cover anywhere they could find. Some even managed to get around the enemy just as they enter the valley. It was these colonists who fired the first shots, as they were able to surprise an enemy concentrating on sniper fire and turrets.

About 30 seconds into the fight, their ranks were starting to thin, and we'd only taken a single casualty. Despite being outnumbered 2 to 1, things were actually going well.

Of course, this game being what it is, things took a wrong turn from there. Suddenly, someone managed to lob a grenade behind the sand-bag line, blowing a hole in our defensive line, and killing a good third of our forces.

Over the next ten or so seconds, most of our forces are killed. Our head of security, the assassin Acosta, holds the enemy onslaught at bay long enough for a few colonists to escape round the corner into relative safety. As the final man makes it round the corner, Acosta single handedly kills 4 men with his rifle. He finally gave up, riddled with bullets, the bodies of his friends and foes littering the ground around him. A true badass.

This is what was left, after the retreat.

It was now 19 v 3. Worse odds than before. Fortunately, I had a long line of auto turrets, that the raiders would have had to get through if they were to make it inside my base. I used the time they spent dealing with the first few to pull a hail Mary flank around their left side. As they made their way down the centre of the valley, I set my three remaining men up to force them into a crossfire, between our guns and the auto-turrets.

Unbelievably, this worked. They funneled right into a meat grinder of bullets, all at the same time, dropping like flies. Once the guns died down, there were more than 15 bodies lying dead right beside the bases outer wall.

The three raiders left alive wisely decided to flee.

We found one raider incapacitated near the outer wall. To save, or not to save?

For the hard working men and women of Crashville, you prick.

SteveAdamo

well done my friend... well done indeed... for crashville! :D

i love how you connected with your units, and built a memorable story around the experience... i wager that is precisely what RW is designed to do...

cant wait to create a few stories of my own!

MarchingHome

Great story!
For what it's worth, I count 50(!) raiders in the party:

Edit: 49, actually. One purple thingy is not correct (Cooley).

lolasaurusrex1234

It's so easy to get super attached to your colonists. One of the early rounds I played had an assassin that was the only person who could shoot well, and the amount of times he single handedly took on entire waves of raiders was insane. It's crazy how easy it is to assign personality to them. "Oh he's very brave, he's a fun guy, he's very smart."

DoomAngelBlade

Welcome to club of ultimate colonies!
If you will manage to 54 raiders - you beaten me.  But I will take a new record soon!

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

graylobo

I love this store and that you got so many good pictures. let us know if the 3 remaining can rebuild there now ruined live... twice around ruined lives now that i think about it man they have no luck.

W1Z25

id say either kill them to show your might or keep them to rebuild the base

its a good toss up

Robitski

I love these stories. Great stuff, could gather round a campfire and share our old war stories all night, eh? ; )
At least 3.5% more reliable than a garden strimmer.

Gsop

Wow, this is by far the best RimWorld story I've read! I just noticed you had some turrets right next to some colonists. Not the best idea. If the turret explodes, some of the nearby colonists might die
Why are you reading this?

Chicken Breast

Just a note on defenses, it would save some of your people if you spread them a bit more and interspersed sandbag defenses with pillars of wall between to make them more protected from more angles. Just saying. As far as the story, well done! I have only fought upwards of 20, almost 30 raiders, but I just started playing a Random game as well! They're quite interesting, especially considering all the people you get before you even see any raiders, makes it difficult in a more epic way, I think. I already have like 12 people myself. I like it as a break from Cassandra. Anyway good work! Making it with one person at least alive is what counts!

Sig by Me!