[A17] Expanded Charge Arsenal

Started by themaster6869, September 06, 2017, 11:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themaster6869

Expanded Charge Arsenal

Description:
Have you ever wondered why your cybernetic super-soldiers are still using LMGs,  sniper rifles, and assault rifles like its still the 20th century? I have always felt that the vanilla game could use a lot more fleshing out with charge weaponry. This mod adds 3 new charge guns intended to fill the gaps older weapons used to fill along with a new melee weapon. However all of the guns have very significant downsides so that while they excel at their role they are not completely overpowered.

The weapons are all unlocked with the charge weaponry research and can be crafted at the machining table.

Weapons:

Heavy Charge Rifle

Damage: 15 X 4
Range: 30
Warm up: 1.48s
Ranged Cooldown: 1.35s
Avg Accuracy: 55%
Significantly more damaging version of the assault rifle, Trades accuracy for damage and range.

Charge Sniper

Damage: 50
Range: 45
Warm up: 4s
Ranged Cooldown: 2s
Acc long: 90%
Acc med: 50%
Acc short: 10%
An all round better version of the sniper rifle at long range, however its medium - close range suffers hugely in accuracy.

Charge Stormer

Damage: 5 X 8
Warm up: 2s
Ranged Cooldown: 2s
Acc short: 90%
Acc med: 50%
Acc long: 10%
The ultimate in close range weaponry, will annihilate in close quarters but its accuracy is almost worthless at range

Vibroblade

Damage: 22
Cooldown: 2s 
A small upgrade to the plasteel long sword featuring 2 more damage per swing, primarily added for flavor

Information :

This is my first mod so constructive criticism is probably needed. I am especially trying to make sure that these weapons are fairly balanced in accordance with the base game.

Thanks to Rooki1 author of Rimsenal for giving permission for editing and using the sprites
Rimsenal link: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11160.0

Download
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fqg5izxwdo2ffvz/AAC0ZenxZRmV0cxQggMPL1joa?dl=0

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

XeoNovaDan

As the 'Gordon Ramsay' of weapon pack balance (you may also know me as the author of Vanilla-Friendly Weapon Expansion, or VFWE for short), I'd say this isn't too poorly balanced upon putting the figures of the equipment into my spreadsheet. Just a few comments though:

From what I've gathered, charge weapons seem to sacrifice range for enhanced firepower and fire rate when comparing the charge rifle to the assault rifle. I'd personally drop the charge sniper's range to maybe 40 to hold true to that. Also, what is with that insane projectile velocity of 200? That's glittertech levels of fast. I'd personally make it 120 to put it on par with the charge lance. The rest looks OK though.

As for the heavy charge rifle, nudging the ranged cooldown to 1.36 puts it on par with the assault rifle for cooldown, and then warmup to 1.5 which puts it on par with the great bow's warmup. Everything else looks OK.

Although you've stated that the Charge Stormer fires 8 shots of 5 damage, you've put the Charge Stormer down as 4 shots with 8 burst ticks in the XML. I'm assuming this is an oversight. Going back to earlier, I'd personally drop the range to 12, decrease cooldown to 1.16, and decrease warmup to 0.9 so it achieves parity with the pump shotgun in that regard, while being true to a charge weapon's loss in range. In turn, touch accuracy down to 93%, short down to 64%, flavour-text medium to 41%, and flavour-text long to 22%. That way it outperforms the charge rifle at point-blank, but only performing on par with it at 12 tiles, and then its short range keeps it in check. Also projectile velocity is out of line with vanilla weapons; seeing as the pump shotgun has a projectile velocity on par with pistols (55), I'd personally make the projectile velocity of the Charge Stormer 55 too.

The plasteel vibroblade has a 2.5 second cooldown, although plasteel longswords have a 2 second cooldown. Plasteel longswords also require 120 plasteel; the vibroblade only needs 80, despite being stated as 'identical to a plasteel longsword'. Other than that, again, seems good!

Best of luck with your modding career, and props for making an effort to keep things balanced; that makes you a good modder in my books so far!

themaster6869

Thanks for the advice, particularly about the charge stormer. I fixed the oversight and followed a lot of your advice on the stats for all the guns. The vibroblade was supposed to have a 2 second cooldown and has been fixed the brief description was because I ran out of time for making the post.

Chicken Plucker

Hey I'm loving the textures on these, great work man

themaster6869

Thanks, but please be aware they are modified rimsenal textures from vanilla plus, I couldn't have done any of the stocks myself

SpaceDorf

Still good work.

And recognizing the good stuff to base your own work on is a talent on its own  ;D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Dragoon

Cool mod! These weapons seem really well done.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

werty112

Still no charge LMG nor portable heavy charge blaster (charge minigun)
That moment when you get oneshotted from first shot by first raider that had 0.2% acc

Canute

Don't forget charge weapons need power, and a LMG or minigun would need alot power.
Do you want carry some fueled generators at your backpack to satisfy their powerneed ? :-)

The mod just need some weapon locker, you could place your charged weapon in to power up your base.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Canute on September 18, 2017, 04:16:26 AM
Do you want carry some fueled generators at your backpack to satisfy their powerneed ? :-)

For a Charge Minigun ? Any Day :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

«Temple»

Can I suggest a charge pistol?  Accurate at close range, somewhat decent damage output?

«Temple»

May I update this and upload it or give let you upload it?

Harry_Dicks

If the author went MIA, and they never posted anywhere that they did not want anyone else to upload, then it should be fine for you to post a B18 version. Hell it shouldn't be too hard anyway to do yourself once you have the art texture, not to discredit mod author's work.

«Temple»

I guess, but I wasn't 100% sure he went away, was hoping to get his response.

themaster6869

I would be absolutely fine with you updating it, i was thinking of updating it again when 1.0 released but that didn't happen
so here we are