[B18] Vanilla-Friendly Animal Surgery v1.1.1b (22nd Jan 2018)

Started by XeoNovaDan, September 07, 2017, 04:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XeoNovaDan

Compatibility
For Modders: To make a patch for this mod, simply plug the defNames of your mod's animals into the appropriate XML patches. Vanilla animal patches can be found in Patches/Core for reference.

I wouldn't recommend using this and 'A Dog Said' together due to the overlap of parts and inconsistencies that will be introduced.

No animal mods have been made compatible with this yet. I'm not going to be responsible for creating compatibility patches with other mods either.

Compatible with Combat Extended Unstable RC2. Do note that animal size categories haven't been changed from the vanilla combat system (e.g. rhinos are still huge, when they're large in CE).

Download
GitHub
Steam

Like this mod? Check out my other mods here!

Overview
Vanilla-Friendly Animal Surgery takes a very similar approach to animal body parts and prostheses as the original 'A Dog Said' by Latta, rather than the current 'A Dog Said' which is being maintained by spoonshortage and kaptain_kavern. This mod is aimed at those who like the idea of being able to augment and fix up animals, but prefer to keep it faithful to vanilla, found A Dog Said to be imbalanced, and/or certain parts in A Dog Said to be gimmicky. I personally fall under all of them cases.

This mod only adds hearts, kidneys, livers, lungs, dentures, peg legs, simple prosthetic arms, simple prosthetic legs, bionic arms, bionic eyes, and bionic legs for animals; the same diversity as Vanilla offers for humans. In turn, these parts are divided into five size categories, which determines the cost of the part, its weight, and combat effectiveness in some cases.

These are the five size categories:
Tiny - Fits on animals with a mature body size of less than 0.3, such as chickens and squirrels.
Small - Fits on animals with a mature body size between 0.3 and 0.8, such as monkeys and alphabeavers.
Medium - Fits on animals with a mature body size between 0.8 and 1.3, such as boars and ostriches.
Large - Fits on animals with a mature body size between 1.3 and 2.4, such as muffalo and bears.
Huge - Fits on animals with a mature body size equal to or greater than 2.4, such as rhinoceroses and thrumbos.

Animal organs and prostheses, similar to human prostheses in the base game, can only be obtained via trade; you can't produce them or expect them to come falling from the sky. For balance reasons and due to XML limitations, you can't harvest animals for their organs either; they also can only be obtained via trade.

Animal body parts also have their own trade categories, so these won't interfere with the commonality of human body parts on the market. Additionally, adding parts to and removing parts from animals only yields 5/16ths as much experience as an operation on a human, to reduce the feasibility of experience grinding.

Credits
Marnador for their excellent RimWorld-style font.
Shotgunfrenzy for the 'Combat Extended Compatible' text on the thumbnail.

License
You may use this mod in your mod packs, and you may also derive from the mod. All that I ask is that you please let me know, and give me credit and provide a link to this forum post.

XeoNovaDan

first. Betting 100 silver I'll be the only person commenting on this mod... as is the trend for most of my mods.

will anybody even see this?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on September 08, 2017, 03:48:36 AM
will anybody even see this?

If anybody could read it ..

I read nearly everything, but your descriptions are always complete and easy to understand, so there is no need for questions and balancing is your passion so there is not much need to comment on this either :)

I did not know what else to write about the Animal Prosthetics, since I use none. :)

The enhanced vanilla weapons are my favorites though :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

XeoNovaDan

I guess that's roughly the gist of it then! Might need to purposely hobble my descriptions and throw spanners into the works of balance to generate feedback :P

Just kidding.

But seriously, thank you for sort of reassurance. Pretty much the worst thing that can happen to a modder, is being met with silence.

SpaceDorf

Or for anybody else.

Does Git have a download counter ? That would be the other reassurance.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

XeoNovaDan

I'm only aware of a 'Unique Visits' counter, but not so much a downloads counter.

Canute

It is a fine mod, and that you can't craft these protestic made it a good counterpart to ADS.

But i am not a big fan for extra patches for any animal mod you add.
Since DoctorVanGogh and AngleWyrm made it possible that their mining Mods search for possible minerals from other mods and add them as custom bill, it should be possible that this would work for other things too.

Yes i know you are currently just an XML-modder, but maybe this could be your next big project with some help from the modders i mention above.
Then this mode search for all kind of animals and enable the protstic for all.

XeoNovaDan

In an ideal world, a bit of C# that searches for animals and patches on appropriate recipes could be the way forward. I don't reckon many people will ever choose this over the much more expansive, more 'easymode' A Dog Said, however. People prefer popular, slightly imbalanced mods to small, balanced mods.

The 'Top Rated All Time' list on the Steam Workshop reflect that; most of the mods on the first page are notably imbalanced in some way.

XeoNovaDan

A Combat Extended patch will be in the works shortly!

Just figured I'd put that out there (and also admittedly as an excuse to bump the post :P )

XeoNovaDan

Updated to v1.0.1

Changes:
- Fixed a major issue where front bionic leg installation wasn't working properly
  - This is down to using the wrong recipe base.

Side note: This mod is now fully compatible with Combat Extended v1.5d!

maculator

This looks well balanced, I guess I'll kick a dog said and give it a shot.
Edit: Is it "out of the box" compatible with CE? Because in the patch folder of CE I didn't find a patch for VFAP, but you listed it as compatible and CE also lists it as compatible. Just wondering.
I'm an idiot. It is.

Kori

Your mod looks very good and I can't wait to try it out, but as a small request, could you please add a version or mod option that allows us to craft the prosthetics so that it is in line with EPOE?
Otherwise it makes no sense that I can craft bionic parts for humans, but not a wooden pegleg for my dog. :)

XeoNovaDan

@Kori A crafting patch will eventually be worked on, when A18 graces us; I'm burnt out with modding for A17. As far as peg legs go, it's the same as vanilla :P

Dragoon

I have to agree with a lot of whats being said. I hope more mods make patches to go with this.  ;D
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Kori

@XeoNovaDan Now I hope even more that A18 will be there soon! I'm glad you are going to add it, thank you! :)