Change "wanderer joins" to "wanderer would like to join"

Started by maculator, September 07, 2017, 05:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maculator

I always feel terrible when I got to take them behind the shed to ensure I don't have to feed more people through the winter the I can afford.
I mean whats the logic behind someone just passing by a colony and then just joining them without any permission?!
Same goes for rescued folks. I'm a kind leader and I mostly pick up those poor bastards and patch them up, because I'm a nice person. But if they want to join they should ask. Its kind of annoying to fix them and then euthanise them because they're unskilled, pyromaniac druggies I simply don't want to join.

Crow_T

I used to rescue escape pod pawns, now I only capture them first and then decide if I want to recruit or release. Still doesn't solve the issue of random joiners, I think you can disable that when starting a game if it is not to your liking.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

maculator

Yes you can disable the event. But since this is the suggestions board I thought I might just suggest it. It's more "immersive" if some wanderer passes through and thinks "this place is nice, might ask if I could join those folks!".
Same goes for the rescued guys. You patch them up, they got a few days to admire your nice colony and then they could ask if its okay for them to join.

To derail my own thread:
Would be an awsome addition if the patched up guys could also have a chance of asking you for some food and equip for their journey and if you provide them a bit (or not) you just might see them again later. (as a trader, traveler, pirate or available in a slavers inventory^^ maybe even a message that they founded a new faction etc. POSSIBILITIES!!!)

booOfBorg

Good thinking. "Wanderer joins" seems a little off.

On a related note: I don't ever accept a "chased by pirates" event anymore, at least not early game. The chance of getting an acceptable pawn is just so low without having any info besides age. And the resulting raid is typically not worth it IMO.

Penguinmanereikel

You guys DO know that the reason why we have situations like "Wanderer Joins" is because not EVERY colonist is supposed to be useful, right? Tynan said that himself, so it acts kinda like an unfortunate event when you get a poor character.

maculator

I know. I didn't say "make every wandere a perferct colonist" or "let us reroll the wanderer until he fits our needs". I just want to be able to send them away if I prefer to not let them join. I mean whats the point in forcing a colony to become a pack of murderes because someone they don't want refuses to leave?

Vlad0mi3r

You do know the mood debuff for colonist died is only -3 I think (it late I'm tired it could be more but no more than -5). If you don't like someone that rocks up or you don't think they fit in very well a 2x1 room with a wall across it and forget about them. Yes you'll have to put up with colonist starving and mental break alerts but eventually they will take a dirt nap.

Now if they are a family member of someone then you might want to reconsider your approach and try to put them to good use.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Meziljin

Quote from: Penguinmanereikel on September 09, 2017, 11:48:00 AM
You guys DO know that the reason why we have situations like "Wanderer Joins" is because not EVERY colonist is supposed to be useful, right? Tynan said that himself, so it acts kinda like an unfortunate event when you get a poor character.
it's a nice point of view, effectively toxic characters are often in our lives, and we surely haven't asked them to join our lifes :D

b0rsuk

Is Rimworld a family simulator now ? Because I certainly have control over who I'm friends with and where I work.

There should be a more humane way to get rid of colonists at least. Send them on their way with a passing caravan or visitors.

Lightzy

I agree that a game that forces you to actually go through the motions of arranging the death of a colonist you didn't want in the first place could be designed a tiny bit better in this respect

JimJammer89

I support this idea, but in the meantime, you can do like I do: have them drop their weapons, arrest them, leave the door open and they will proceed to escape. No mood debuffs for the rest of the colonists and if they resist, club 'em, then arrest them.
Quote from: TitaniumTurtle on August 31, 2015, 11:57:18 AM
Who needs a force field when you can have a chicken field?

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: b0rsuk on September 09, 2017, 03:30:30 PM
Is Rimworld a family simulator now ? Because I certainly have control over who I'm friends with and where I work.

There should be a more humane way to get rid of colonists at least. Send them on their way with a passing caravan or visitors.
I don't think everyone has the option of where they work and although we can choose our friend sometimes those relationships turn toxic. Rim World is not the most happy easy going kinda place. So job selection although guided by passion is not always the option. For instance its rare to have say 4 crafters with skills over 15. Unless you are making silver buy producing heaps of cloth clothing to sell but even then more than 4? Sometimes you have to make someone just sweep the damn floor.

I think you should be able to fire drop pods to any location with a fire and forget option. Load Mr/Mrs special into the drop pod and off they go on a new adventure. I can just see the bug reports now. I loaded my people up into the drop pods but accidentally hit the fire and forget button. Now I only have 4 people left behind.   ;) ;D
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503