Right Click Bug (Update - Not a bug)

Started by paultorris, September 23, 2017, 09:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paultorris

Hello guys,

I have been playing for a while and then my right click pop up menu just stopped working.

It is unfortunately not clear under what circumstances the right click feature stopped to work, but restarting the game doesn't fix it, so I had to find the latest save where the feature was still working.

Attached you can find a save where the right click is broken, I am not using mods and never did.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6A8rbulonRieE4wempaSWFVVEk

Hopefully that will be useful guys,
Cheers.

paultorris

I figured out that if you wait until around 15pm in game time in this save then the bug seems to fix itself and the right click comes back

Calahan

Thank you for the save file, it makes things a lot quicker and easier this end, so it's certainly appreciated when users provide them.

I loaded your save and could not see any problem with the right-click function. When I selected a Pawn and right-clicked on a meal the option to "Consume..." appeared. Likewise when I right-clicked on a weapon or item of clothing the option to equip and force wear respectively appeared. (I did not have to wait until 15h in-game, as the right-click was working fine from the moment I loaded your save).

Whenever a "right-click stopped working" issue has been reported in the past (and there have been a few times) it has always been a case of user error or user misunderstanding regarding when the right-click menu can appear. And as far as I can tell that appears to be the case here.

For example, if you select a Pawn and right-click on a wall tile then nothing will happen and no menu will appear. But if you order the wall to be deconstructed first, and then right-click as before, then a menu will appear with either an option to "Prioritize deconstructing [material] wall" or "Cannot prioritize (not assigned to Constructing)". Meaning that the right-click menu only appeared when there was a reason for it to appear, and if there isn't a reason for it to appear then it doesn't.

So in this context, can you please specify exactly what you are or were trying to do when the right-click menu doesn't appear / stopped working. And ideally in relation to the save game you posted so that I can try doing the same thing.

I also noticed you have no free stockpile zones for your items etc. So is this the problem you are having? And that when you right-click the option to haul stuff is greyed out?

If you are still having problems, and you are sure that the right-click option isn't working, then can you please post your log file (as an attachment) as maybe that is picking up an error (my log file from your save was clean). Details on where to find it can be found here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0

paultorris

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
That is weird then. With this save I couldn't prioritise any task, like sowing, or cooking, or hauling. Whatever the pawn and whatever the task. It still does it if I reload that same save.

I also thought that was somewhat me who were doing a mistake, but I reloaded this file multiple times and try tons of different ways to fix the issue. The only thing that seems to fix it is to accelerate time and wait a bit. Then the feature comes back.

Calahan

Thank you for the extra info. It does sound to me like this is just an understanding issue.

For example, and from directly upon loading you save, if I select the Pawn called Dockerson, and right-click on one of your empty hydroponics basins, then no right-click menu appears. Likewise if I right-click an empty space in one of your growing zones nothing happens. But if I cancel the cooler you have under construction in your hydroponics room and build a wall there instead, then the area becomes indoors (again? since that area is outdoors at the point of your save due to the unconstructed Cooler), then right-clicking on a hydroponics basin results in the menu appearing with the option to "Prioritize sowing area". 

I don't understand why the cooking and hauling jobs are not appearing, and I've attached a screenshot, taken from immediately after your save loads, demonstrating the right-click menu appearing for both of these jobs. So please can you attempt to reproduce this from the save file you posted. So:

1 - Select the Pawn called Roughchild.
2 - Right-click on a free Electric Stove.
2a  - Right-click on one of the items in the store room above where Roughchild is.

Other possibilities to explain the missing menu might be that you can not order Pawns that are on binges or having a mental breakdown. So no right-click menu will appear in this case either (regardless of other criteria).

Finally, in regards the time aspect you mentioned. The weather condition is Hard Snow in your save game, but that stops and changes to clear at around the 15h mark, and then sometime after that the option to sow outdoors appears again (after the outside temperature has risen high enough for long enough for the game to detect and acknowledge it's growing season). So this might offer an explanation for why it might appear the right-click menu starts working again based on a certain in-game time.

Edit - I'm going to close as it seems like a simple case of user error to me, plus the OP hasn't posted again with more info on this.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]