Creative Rewards Guidelines

Started by Tynan, October 24, 2013, 12:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Hey all,

Since we are setting a high standard for the consistency, quality, and fictional seamlessness of the creative rewards, I thought it would be good to have a centralized place to discuss them. That way, you can all see every other discussion about what fits, what doesn't, and ongoing clarifications to the guidelines themselves.

Here are the guidelines: Creative rewards guidelines

And here is the Creative Rewards login:
http://rimworldgame.com/creative/index.php

So yeah - if you have any questions or uncertainties about what you want to do, start a thread and we'll answer!

EDIT - by milon, added creative rewards login
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

salt1219

Guess i'll start this party.
How much and what kind of info do you need for weapns?
I know we've talked about spiderbots I just want to make sure to send the right info.

For PK's I would like to know more about the new skills so I can better plan my character. I know they aren't implemented yet but what are your plans for medicine, cooking, artistic, and crafting.   Medicine and cooking seem straight forward, its artistic and crafting I'm most curious about.

AspenShadow

Quote from: salt1219 on October 24, 2013, 03:35:10 AM
For PK's I would like to know more about the new skills so I can better plan my character. I know they aren't implemented yet but what are your plans for medicine, cooking, artistic, and crafting.   Medicine and cooking seem straight forward, its artistic and crafting I'm most curious about.

???  I haven't heard word of any new skills. I'm thrilled don't get me wrong, my PK can't really work as a character unless there's a medical skill that isn't tied to social, but can you confirm this for me? I was actually planning on bringing up a separate medical skill myself on the Suggestions forum, but if it's already in-the-works so to speak...

Tynan

Salt et al: If you bought the $500 tier I'll be handling you one-on-one via email or chat. I think you've provided some good info on your weapon and dude, so we're pretty clear there. I can message you when I start working on it (could be a few months).

The skills are:

Construction,
Growing,
Research,
Mining,
Shooting,
HandToHand,
Social,
Cooking, - Cooks tastier meals, doesn't set the kitchen on fire
Medicine, - Can do medical operations, and do them better. Some operations will have minimum skills, and risks of critical failure
Artistic, - For painting, engraving, sculpting
Crafting - For manufacturing items like guns and tools and perhaps furniture.

AspenShadow

SleepyFox

What about Pirate King stuff? I'm not sure I have a full grasp of what that actually entails if the Pirate King/Queen will be just someone that's communicated with or will actually end up joining the colony for... some reason?
Streaming Games 24/7 @ InsomniacGamers.net

salt1219

Quote from: SleepyFox on October 25, 2013, 11:01:06 PM
What about Pirate King stuff? I'm not sure I have a full grasp of what that actually entails if the Pirate King/Queen will be just someone that's communicated with or will actually end up joining the colony for... some reason?

Negotiating isn't in yet so for now your coming up with a name, background, and stats.
Characters have two backgrounds, childhood and adulthood.
Stats max out at 20 but all characters need to be balanced and allow room to improve stats.
All of what I said is over simplified but that's the basics.

Lothar

Is there any way we can get a list of what childhood backgrounds are available along with adult backgrounds? just so we know what to go off of? thanks in advance.

Tynan

Thanks Salt.

Quote from: Lothar on October 26, 2013, 12:41:44 AM
Is there any way we can get a list of what childhood backgrounds are available along with adult backgrounds? just so we know what to go off of? thanks in advance.

The wiki has a list of backstories that are in the game right now. I wrote all of them; they were just starting content to get the system going. They're good examples of the kinds of things that work well.

AgesBeyond

Hey there, I read through the longsleep revival briefing and thought the idea of transanimals overthrowing their human creators was a pretty interesting concept. With a Pirate King tier donation, would it be possible to create a reasonable transanimal leader that still fits in with RimWorld's lore? Thank you!

Tynan

Quote from: AgesBeyond on October 26, 2013, 11:01:28 AM
Hey there, I read through the longsleep revival briefing and thought the idea of transanimals overthrowing their human creators was a pretty interesting concept. With a Pirate King tier donation, would it be possible to create a reasonable transanimal leader that still fits in with RimWorld's lore? Thank you!

Sadly no, just because transanimals aren't really on the horizon for actually being in the game.

SleepyFox

Quote from: Tynan on October 26, 2013, 12:32:22 PM
Quote from: AgesBeyond on October 26, 2013, 11:01:28 AM

Sadly no, just because transanimals aren't really on the horizon for actually being in the game.

What about, say, ears and tails under the 'Fashion-driven genetic modifications' area when it comes to flavor for a pirate leader? Since I don't expect that you'll actually see them so they wouldn't need to be put into the game as an art asset. (...yes my pirate queen is supposed to have fox tails and fox ears... but it's negotiable)
Streaming Games 24/7 @ InsomniacGamers.net

Tynan

Quote from: SleepyFox on October 26, 2013, 01:50:09 PM
What about, say, ears and tails under the 'Fashion-driven genetic modifications' area when it comes to flavor for a pirate leader? Since I don't expect that you'll actually see them so they wouldn't need to be put into the game as an art asset. (...yes my pirate queen is supposed to have fox tails and fox ears... but it's negotiable)

In general I'd prefer people restrain themselves from this sort of thing. These kinds of gene mods really should be handled by a real game system which represents them in graphics and gameplay, and that hasn't been developed yet. Also, this isn't really part of a character backstory, it's part of a character description (see the guidelines for info on this). You'd be struggling to comfortably fit this under the 50 word limit.

However, since you're a pirate queen, I'l probably allow this if it were subtle. I really just don't want 200 people sending in all sorts of weird xenohuman/genemodded/transanimal characters; if that happens we'll have to disapprove a lot of entries. However, Pirate King backers are allowed to be slightly weirder if they wish.

salt1219

your back story could mention having "stylish cat ears and tail", or possibly just have a trait that says (cat ears, tail).
you wouldn't need to have a custom character sprite, the players can imagine it.  i also agree that something like this should be rare.

Tynan

Quote from: salt1219 on October 26, 2013, 08:00:21 PM
your back story could mention having "stylish cat ears and tail", or possibly just have a trait that says (cat ears, tail).

To clarify, you can't customize traits. They're not even in the game at this point. It's backstory, skill offsets, name, work disables.