Possible to reset Steam key?

Started by Kubouch, September 13, 2017, 02:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kubouch

My story in short: I have two Steam accounts (for whatever reason, I don't even remember): kubouch and kubouchz, both associated with the same email. I have all my games on kubouchz, kubouch is empty. I bought the game from Ludeon (I think it was even in the late days of the Kickstarter campaign) and have an access to the DRM-free copies.
For whatever reason I accidentally activated RimWorld on kubouch. Now I wanted to upload my mod to the Steam Workshop and found out I don't have enough transaction history (since I never used kubouch for anything) and therefore can not make the mod public.
So I was thinking... no big deal, I can activate it on kubouchz account and upload the mod there. However, when I try to redeem RimWorld there, after logging into kubouchz it says: "This email is already associated with a different Steam account, or the Steam account is associated with another email."
So I was thinking... no big deal, I can delete RimWorld from kubouch and it should be OK to activate it on kubouchz. So I went to the Steam help tab and deleted the game from the library. However, when trying to redeem the game on kubouchz it still says the same message. And I can not even activate the game back on kubouch because it says that it has already been claimed there.
So I am thinking... is there any way to get my Steam key restarted and possible to activate on kubouchz? I am a Steam noob since I don't particularly like it and I use it only when I absolutely have to.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: I used https://ludeon.com/rimworld/getmygame to redeem the game on Steam.

nccvoyager

I will be honest with you and say that I highly doubt this will be possible.

I'm sure you can understand that Ludeon (and Valve) would likely not want to provide you with another Steam redemption, effectively giving you a second "free" Steam copy of RimWorld.
Nor do Ludeon have the direct ability to remove RimWorld from one Steam account and transfer it to another.

You would probably need to contact Steam support regarding this matter.

That said, transferring things from one Steam account to another is not usually done.
Additionally, multiple Steam accounts created by the same person are prohibited by Valve.
So, yeah...

SpaceDorf

A friend of mine once gifted me a steam game .. maybe you should try this.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

makkenhoff

You might be able to family share the 'rimworld' library account with the 'normal' account to have access. That, or just support the game again.

Amiisato

Your information, I strongly agree.

Kubouch

Quote from: nccvoyager on September 14, 2017, 06:10:12 AM
I will be honest with you and say that I highly doubt this will be possible.

I'm sure you can understand that Ludeon (and Valve) would likely not want to provide you with another Steam redemption, effectively giving you a second "free" Steam copy of RimWorld.
Nor do Ludeon have the direct ability to remove RimWorld from one Steam account and transfer it to another.

You would probably need to contact Steam support regarding this matter.

That said, transferring things from one Steam account to another is not usually done.
Additionally, multiple Steam accounts created by the same person are prohibited by Valve.
So, yeah...

I thought maybe it is possible for Ludeon to somehow reset the Steam access key since it is not associated with any account right now. The two accounts is an old matter when I was trying to unsuccesfully recover a forgotten account.

Quote from: SpaceDorf on September 14, 2017, 07:22:36 PM
A friend of mine once gifted me a steam game .. maybe you should try this.

You can only gift a game when you buy it on Steam. Not later.

Quote from: makkenhoff on September 18, 2017, 12:02:14 PM
You might be able to family share the 'rimworld' library account with the 'normal' account to have access. That, or just support the game again.

That might be possible. However, I can't access RimWorld on any of my Steam accounts now. I'm also not sure if you can upload mods to workshop from an account connected by family share but not actually owning the game.

I doubt it is possible to transfer the game to the kubouchz account. Also it seems I can restore the game on the kubouch account the same way I deleted it (from the 'Help' section).