"keep playing" What to expect?

Started by Jibbles, September 20, 2017, 04:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jibbles

I don't recall playing the same base after the whole colony has been wiped out.  I've been thinking about making a HUGE base for A18... modding in my own landmarks and whatnot. Continue playing even if I get wiped out multiple times. It would be an ongoing project. The colony would be extremely rich. The game mode will most likely be on Randy Extreme.

This experience may change in A18. So these questions are for A17.
What are raids like when new people start to join? How fast do they scale up?
Do mechs continue to obliterate everything on the map after all your pawns died?
Do they leave after a certain amount of time?
Pawns have new colony buff? low expectations?

Listen1

What are raids like when new people start to join? How fast do they scale up?
The raids scale way up with "Colony Wealth" The higher, the higher the modifier. Things like fancy floors, statues, turrents, mortars, weapons and etc add up to that.
I'd say that after 3~5 hours of normal gameplay, basebuilding and expansion is where the raids start outnumbering you greatly.

Do mechs continue to obliterate everything on the map after all your pawns died?
Yes they do, usually with melee.

Do they leave after a certain amount of time?
I never stayed long after a massive mechanoid attack, since they don't have the hunger/sleep, I believe they will keep in the map. (Needs confirmation)

Pawns have new colony buff? low expectations?
Yep, they do! Low expectation, new colony hope, catharsis (after a mental break) and some others such as "Somewhat beutiful rec room +2" or "Luxuriosly beutiful dining room +5"

Jibbles

I know a lot of things come into play with raiding and their size.  So I wasn't sure what they would be like if the colony only had one to three pawns, but still very rich since most object weren't destroyed.   

I did a short test.  You're right. Looks like mechs will destroy everything.  As for them leaving, I don't see it happening.  I was thinking maybe they'll stop being aggro since everyone died, wander around for a bit then leave.  Even if that was the case there are events that will trigger them again such as escape pods, and visitors.  It's a bummer.  I think my only hope of survival after being wiped out from mechs or infestation is to stock up with psychic animal pulsers.  Activate one right before the last pawn dies or when a wanderer joins.

Vlad0mi3r

Friendlies will show up and take care of the mechs eventually. This may take awhile. If you are looking for a long lived base there are some non intrusive mods that can help. By non intrusive I mean no huge turrets or special defence features.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Listen1

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on September 20, 2017, 05:33:19 PM
Friendlies will show up and take care of the mechs eventually. This may take awhile. If you are looking for a long lived base there are some non intrusive mods that can help. By non intrusive I mean no huge turrets or special defence features.

I'd say this mods can help, but are not 100% necessary. My first colony on A17 was quite huge, being 100% in the open with attack bears for "Sieges" and alternative defenses for huge tribal raids and manhunting animals. (Such as the shoe box, a rectangle with many doors and melee users on these doors with 3 people behind, shooting alot. Worked like a charm)

Quote from: Jibbles on September 20, 2017, 05:06:26 PM
I know a lot of things come into play with raiding and their size.  So I wasn't sure what they would be like if the colony only had one to three pawns, but still very rich since most object weren't destroyed.   

They would. The raid will be scaled down a bit, but will be really strong.