Earthquakes?

Started by Quasarrgames, May 12, 2014, 09:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

So we all know that if you make your colony in a mountain, you are basically invulnerable. Raiders can do nothing to you if you make a decent entryway. However, what if there was something that would give you a reason to build your base aboveground? What if there was a natural disaster that could cripple your mountain base but do almost nothing to your aboveground base?

I'm thinking earthquakes. They would happen randomly, probably once every month or few months or something, and they would cause roof sections on your base to collapse, and somethimes crumble stone, metal, or wood supports.

Imagine, having an earthquake happen during a raid. The roof would collapse on the raiders, crushing them, but the roof would also collapse on the beds and the entryway, trapping your colonists in their rocky tombs, until they mined it out again.
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Celthric Aysen

i much prefer to call it space quake :P
for no reason.
also i don't like fighting natural disasters that are too big, and almost takes the whole map and destroys everything.
but its a nice idea if its just a tiny earthquake.
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Coenmcj

if it collapsed the entryway and you were a smart colonist you would be invulnerable...
due to self sustaining processes such as hydroponics and geothermals.

I think I have to agree with blackjack here, a small earthquake would be fine, large ones that decimate the entire map with no protection aren't much fun at all.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Quasarrgames

You guys are right. It would probably be better if they only affected like a quarter of the map.

But remember, these earthquakes (or space quakes) would do almost nothing to bases made of aboveground structures, they may crumble a few tiny wall segments, but that's about it.
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...