[1.0] Androids - The ultimate manpower solution

Started by ChJees, September 16, 2017, 06:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zizzle

Any idea how to make the droids spawn with nudist trait? I would rather not put clothes on them and the "Unhappy nudity" message is annoying. I've just been using the dev tool to give them the nudist trait but I would also like to play with the "Don't Tempt Me"(no dev menu) mod. I have all the tools necessary for DLL modding. If anyone can point me in the right direction, or if the author can create a fix for it I would be extremely grateful.

Nightinggale

Quote from: Zizzle on November 25, 2017, 03:51:36 AM
Any idea how to make the droids spawn with nudist trait?
Wouldn't it make more sense to make them ignore all happiness from clothing, such as (un)happy nudity or wearing worn appeal?
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Madman666

It'd also be nice to have no moodlets for other colonists for losing a droid (or banishing it if you have a particular dislike of one), as its basically a moving working turret as its description says, so no one should give a single damn about it turning to scrap. I guess its hard to maneuver around game engine limitations... Right now droids can even chat with colonists and can actualy be counted as friends which gives atrocious penalties for when they die (stacking with you lost a colonist can be damn harsh), making them far less expendable then they supposed to be.

Still this mod is really damn nice thing to have. I mean who wouldn't like a couple cheap and loyal janitors with guns, that can't mentally break, can haul, craft stone blocks and otherwise help around the base? A biig thank you for making that! :)

Canute

You know people are sometimes strange, they can even love their pastic puppet.
So why not a bonding/mood at androids.
And are androids sometimes pleasure objects and need an empathy subroutine/chip ?

Madman666

Quote from: Canute on November 26, 2017, 04:22:43 AM
You know people are sometimes strange, they can even love their pastic puppet.
So why not a bonding/mood at androids.
And are androids sometimes pleasure objects and need an empathy subroutine/chip ?

We are not talking about advanced androids, which are much like human pawns, we are talking about latest addition - droids. Following their description they are supposed to be non-sapient programmed worker machines. Much like robot-vacuum cleaners for example. Will you cry and go berserk, when a robot vacuum-cleaner dies? Something tells me - no you won't.

Canute

These arn't simple droids like cacuum cleaner or others from Misc.Robots++, they are full integrated pawns, they can talk, they can learn.
Do you remember Star Trek TNG, Data the android ? Is he a thing or is he a lifeform ?
In my eyes they are lifeforms, ok maybe with limited emphatie.

Madman666

Quote from: Canute on November 26, 2017, 05:01:12 AM
These arn't simple droids like cacuum cleaner or others from Misc.Robots++, they are full integrated pawns, they can talk, they can learn.
Do you remember Star Trek TNG, Data the android ? Is he a thing or is he a lifeform ?
In my eyes they are lifeforms, ok maybe with limited emphatie.

Well firstly - if you disable a constant moodlet "I can't feel" which gives +200 mood and give back all the basic needs of a colonist (droids have only energy gauge) - it will be just another colonist. Same with Haplo's MAI - its basically a colonist you can construct with bit of weird differences. From my point of view if its a robot or droid it should be a machine, programmed, non-empatic, worker drone like a said vacuum-robot. My guess current pawn system doesn't allow to add a specific pawn class that would be fully robotic like mechanoids - won't bleed, have built-in armor and totally ignore all social interactions.

In this case I guess author sees it closer your way, as in previous mod update he added an ability for droids to attend parties... I do remember Star Trek and whole lot other movies which had a droid or a robot with AI, but it still feels hella weird. I do accept androids being advanced artifical humans, but I'd prefer for droids to be just worker without social part. Otherwise I don't see much difference between droids and androids, aside from latter needing to eat.

ChJees

Added the ability to party to fix a bug :P.
Also its hilarious seeing a Droid party. Probably do "The Robot" dance for entertaining the guests :V.

Madman666

Quote from: ChJees on November 26, 2017, 05:57:47 AM
Added the ability to party to fix a bug :P.
Also its hilarious seeing a Droid party. Probably do "The Robot" dance for entertaining the guests :V.

Imca

Quote from: Madman666 on November 26, 2017, 04:50:29 AM
We are not talking about advanced androids, which are much like human pawns, we are talking about latest addition - droids. Following their description they are supposed to be non-sapient programmed worker machines. Much like robot-vacuum cleaners for example. Will you cry and go berserk, when a robot vacuum-cleaner dies? Something tells me - no you won't.

Actualy, people very much do, it is not uncommon for EOD units to have there members break down in tears, or hold funerals after losing the damed bomb disposal robots, and those are nothing more then fancy RC cars

Humans have an amazing ability to anthromorphise and form attachments with inanimate objects, especially so when those objects save there lives or are used constantly..... people even do stuff like name there cars.

Now I would definatly agree that it needs to be toned down the loss from loosing a droid, but some amount of bonds and sense of loss should remain, just reduced in capacity

Edit: http://www.washington.edu/news/2013/09/17/emotional-attachment-to-robots-could-affect-outcome-on-battlefield/ An article on the topic, basicly it shouldn't cause a person to break since they are aware they are tools but it still illicits an emotional responce comparable to the loss of an animal.

Edit Edit: Question for the Author, flavor wise how does giving an android bionics work? Do they have synthetic muscles to enhance? Are bionic eyes essentialy "Eye cameras version 2" what is going on with it.

I mean I like the bionic from a ballance standpoint but unlike Droid relations this is a part I am having issues justifying in my head.

Madman666

I never understood those types, who call their notebooks Rudy and then mourn them after spilling beer all over keyboard, thats way too nonsensical. And in this case, from my point of view, crying over a broken droid on a friggin Rimworld, where next minute you can be mauled by a bear, crushed by a meteor, your arms can be shot off by drug addled raiders, you can catch a plague out of nowhere and giant bugs can inhabit your room by appearing from thin air - I'd say its idiotic, survive first, be an idiot later, when you re safe.

I must admit, there are a lot even more idiotic aspects of RW like colonists caring more about dead prisoner than a comrade in arms getting eaten by a panther (which is total bullshit by the way) so its not really that illogical, but stiil. Why not cry over lost research bench then? And every single piece of furniture that has art engravings for example. It doesn't have AI built in, but it helps live better, it costs a lot and there are people IRL that'll cry like babies over a scratch on their ultra-expensive chairs getting ripped by their cats.

Well, as I said, RW has its quirks, like caring so much about eating at a table to the point of it being last straw for going berserk and clobbering your wife to death. So I suppose it doesn't look too out of place..

s44yuritch

Quote from: Madman666 on November 25, 2017, 07:15:54 PM
Right now droids can even chat with colonists...

Even more, they can start social fights with colonists over being insulted. The droid being insulted and starting the fight, not the colonist. Had this happen in my colony recently.

Seems like a bug to me.

Madman666

Quote from: s44yuritch on November 26, 2017, 08:37:57 AM
Even more, they can start social fights with colonists over being insulted. The droid being insulted and starting the fight, not the colonist. Had this happen in my colony recently.

Seems like a bug to me.

It seems droids for now are not much different from a regular colonist, aside from giant constant positive moodlet and needs cropped down to one. So I assume they can probably even date someone, which would be even more hilarious.

ChJees

Quote from: Madman666 on November 26, 2017, 08:45:49 AM
Quote from: s44yuritch on November 26, 2017, 08:37:57 AM

Seems like a bug to me.

It seems droids for now are not much different from a regular colonist, aside from giant constant positive moodlet and needs cropped down to one. So I assume they can probably even date someone, which would be even more hilarious.

In the upcoming update i am making them even more soulless.
Also more bugfixes. (Making new systems is darn buggy :V)

They can't interact with colonists, can't join social fights and nobody cares if they die.
But on the plus side they can now self destruct for great effect :D.

Canute

Damn this start on the old fundamental discussion, when is a machine not anymore a machine.
Basicly it isn't only a definition it is an acceptance of the people. Don't forget some human still think about some other human they are just working tools for them.

My personal thinking is, when is learning and can improve itself, it isn't longer anymore a simple mindless tool.
Androids compared to Misc.Robots can improve their skills, so they are in my eyes not target dummys or mobile turrets.