[A17] [WIP] ModSwitch - a utility mod to change active mods with one button

Started by DoctorVanGogh, September 16, 2017, 07:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorVanGogh

Since ModListBackup is no longer with us, and I really, really want the core functionality, I've hacked together an absolute bare bones basic feature-complete replacement.

Updated with new release info

Currently implemented features:

• Import ModListBackup definitions (Sorry, just the mods, not the 'custom' name for the set yet - also, no colors for now).
  • Apply sets of active mods with one button.
  • Saving mod sets
  • Renaming sets
  • Deleting sets
  • Localization

Things to do (obviously a lot less):

• Assisted (automated?) subscription to Steam mods not currently subscribed* - maybe later
  • Auto-switching mod sets on game load if there is a mismatch - definitely later
  • "Fancified" UI - meh.... later :D

To avoid a similar drama as with MLB I've decided to put ModSwitch under a permissive license from the start (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) even though it's nowhere near finished or even feature complete. So if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, the thing is still there.

I'll put the mod on steam probably in less than a week - so for those precious few days steam-only users will have to either live without a mod switcher or jump into the deep end and download a zip file :D

Project page: https://github.com/DoctorVanGogh/ModSwitch
Download: https://github.com/DoctorVanGogh/ModSwitch/releases

I'd also like to say a big thank you to scuba156 who did the original ModListBackup. That thing saved me hours of tedious clicking. Also - please don't take my license choice as any sort of criticism of scuba or his (her?) mod(s). They're his baby, and he's free to do with them whatever he likes.

*: I'm really reluctant to add any 'auto-subscription' routine to my mods. So in the end it'll most likely 'just' open up the steam browser for missing mods where you can subscribe yourself.
Appreciate my mods? Buy me a coffee

Madman666

XeoNovaDan

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Brrainz

People on my MOD-E steam page are asking about supporting this functionality but I'm confused on if this even makes sense. Well, they overlap sort of but are different at the same time.

Any comments?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: pardeike on September 16, 2017, 10:59:43 PM
People on my MOD-E steam page are asking about supporting this functionality but I'm confused on if this even makes sense. Well, they overlap sort of but are different at the same time.

Any comments?

Which functionality Saving and loading of modlists ?
Maybe DoctorVanGogh and you should think about collaboration.
Having one Mod to rule them all seems a lot more pragmatic than starting from zero and reacting to feature requests by sending people back and forth ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

DoctorVanGogh

Consider the 'align mod list with savegame' feature implemented:

"Go and get mod-e" :D

DoctorVanGogh

Okay... core functionality is feature complete:

• Supports renaming mod sets
  • Supports deleting mod sets
  • Supports creating new mod sets

It is recommended you do a fresh import of any ModListBackup imports. This version will also import any local attributes associated with MLB mods like colors, local install names, etc. It doesn't do anything with that data yet, but it will gladly import that and keep it available for later use. 'Old' data will not have that information so feel free to replace that.

Grab it from github: https://github.com/DoctorVanGogh/ModSwitch/releases

If you encounter any issues... scream loudly... either here or on github.

WalkingProblem

Camping here for more updates.

I feel so sad and depressed as a fellow modder....

BlueTressym

Thank you for this mod; we all appreciate your speedy and excellent work to fill the void left by the sudden absence of Mod List Backup. 

DoctorVanGogh

Okay... recent developments notwithstanding... the latest update supports colorized stuff:

Still have to get assigning a new color to things to work nicely before I package this up - then it's probably ready for steam too :D

Now: How important would you consider custom colors? Would a predefined set of about ten colors be enough or would you want to select just the right shade for this particular mod?

AngleWyrm

Quote from: DoctorVanGogh on September 18, 2017, 02:52:57 PM
Now: How important would you consider custom colors? Would a predefined set of about ten colors be enough or would you want to select just the right shade for this particular mod?

How about a palette of maybe ten color slots where the RGB color for the palette slot can be chosen by the user. That might even be something that can be done simply through the options menu.

Because defaults look like RGB(0, 0, 1)
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

DukeAl

Hi, thank you for making a replacement for ModListBackup so fast.
Idk if you are taking feature request but if it's possible and not to much hassle could you make it possible to select multiple mods at once?
Another handy thing would be a button to move mods to the top or bottom.