[1.0] Dinosauria: A Rimworld Mod / v1.4

Started by spincrus, September 17, 2017, 10:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spincrus

Version 1.4

Description
What if we were to finally discover dinosaur DNA sequences, despite being incomplete, and fill the blanks with various genome sequences spliced from left and right, with a little bit of imagination to help guide us?

Wonder no more! A group of Glitterworld scientists, having long abandoned the ideals to terraform the rimworlds with a purpose, went out of their ways to answer just that. With the mechanoids long having gone haywire with their terraforming projects, the dinosaurs created in labs were slowly introduced into fauna that should otherwise have resembled a 21st Century Earth, with little to no care as to their compatibility with existing wildlife and the forsaken rimworld colonists, the latter of which nobody seems to care about anyway.

Dinosaurs

32 new species of dinosaurs are introduced through this mod, all of which spawn in various different biomes:

• Ankylosaurus
  • Brachiosaurus
  • Brontosaurus
  • Utahraptor
  • Gallimimus
  • Iguanodon
  • Pachycephalosaurus
  • Parasaur
  • Spinosaurus
  • Stegosaurus
  • Triceratops
  • Tyrannosaurus Rex
  • Velociraptor
  • Carnotaurus
  • Protoceratops
  • Yutyrannus
  • Corythosaurus
  • Diplodocus
  • Dryosaurus
  • Baryonyx
  • Dilophosaurus
  • Compsognathus
  • Therizinosaurus
  • Minmi
  • Gigantoraptor
  • Dakotaraptor
  • Deinocheirus
  • Pteranodon
  • Stygimoloch
  • Quetzalcoatlus
  • Magyarosaurus
  • Allosaurus
Download
*Newest Build*
Dinosauria: A Rimworld Mod / v 1.4 (compatible with 1.0)
*Older Builds*
Patches:
Features

• Dinosaurs are meant to be rare. Overall, they spawn less frequently than vanilla animals.
  • Theropods are harder to tame than Thrumbos!
  • Following are pack animals with amazing carrying capacities: stegosaurus, triceratops, magyarosaurus, ankylosaurus.
  • Ever wanted a pet velociraptor? Some dinosaurs have advanced intellect.
  • All dinosaurs lay eggs of various sizes. Two species lay unfertilized eggs.
  • All spawn naturally in various different biomes. Some species favor specific bimoes more than others (modded biomes require patches)
  • Only the Triceratops horns and the Tyrannosaurus Rex skull drop as exotic items. New items are planned.
  • Full sexual dimorphism.
Previews

Credits and Thanks

I would like to thank Spino for inspiring me with his amazing Megafauna mod. I think this mod would go pretty well together with his. Go ahead and fetch it from Steam Workshop or here on Ludeon!

Also many thanks to Spartyon7 on Twitch for her extensive playtesting, and the guys over at the RimWorld Discord Server for commenting on my art or giving me useful advice (erdelf, Mehni). Finally, thanks to jecrell for allowing me to use some pre-written code snippets in my mod (which are not yet implemented in this mod and are pretty much a work in progress).

Disclaimers

• Scientific accuracy was intended, but not always fully followed (ie. featherless utahraptor). A lot of artistic license has been used in some colorings.
  • Well aware that some dinosaurs need to be covered in feathers. The lore of this mod explains why some dinosaurs came out bald.
  • Well aware that Pterosaurs are not dinosaurs, but were really important members of the Jurassic and Cretaceous fauna.
  • No dinosaur is currently shearable.
  • As of b0.19, all assets for dessicated animals became unique. However, since creating art requires time, currently the mod runs placeholders.
  • May fix bugs here and there, unannounced.
  • Support will only be given to the latest release.

Updates

Please find the change log here:
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1136958577/1496741765139307123/

lance_hardwood

This is so incredibly beautiful and LONG overdue. Thank you for that!

(If I just could ask for one thing: an alternative Rex texture without the teeth, please?)  :)

Kalre

ChJees

Aww yiss, dinosaurs!

Perfect for my supermodded playthrough :D

spincrus

I get the teeth thing a lot, and have re-considered it time and again.

I may actually completely remove the teeth if it bothers everyone that much (worked on the toothless sprites and it works).

Actually, here's a Strawpoll, should I remove the teeth?

http://www.strawpoll.me/13951950

Toothless previews:

spincrus

The reason I haven't used the forum's polling system is to be able to get the response of players everywhere.

Anyway, so, here's another sprite that I've been working on for the past hour, tell me what you think (may end up with a toothless version):

lance_hardwood

#dinobewbs  ;)

thanks for considering the teethless version btw

spincrus

Quote from: lance_hardwood on September 17, 2017, 03:55:32 PM
#dinobewbs  ;)

First thing that comes to my mind, too... when drawing sprites alone at night specifically :P

Quote from: lance_hardwood on September 17, 2017, 03:55:32 PM
thanks for considering the teethless version btw

It's just fair. I'll have to re-do the intro preview image, but oh well. Not too much of a work for me to remove the teeth, and if I'm to add more theropods, best if I get the community feedback now before I make more.

In other news, the pterodactyl test-outline turned out to be horrid:

Finally, boomarex:

lance_hardwood

If the poll is close to a tie or in favour of the teeth I would really appreciate if you would provide alternate sprites without teeth as an optional download. (if it wouldn't be too much trouble for you)

spincrus

Quote from: lance_hardwood on September 17, 2017, 05:21:16 PM
If the poll is close to a tie or in favour of the teeth I would really appreciate if you would provide alternate sprites without teeth as an optional download. (if it wouldn't be too much trouble for you)

I hear you. The only problem I have with that is that I'll have to maintain two separate mods at all times, which is double the work for me, and make things a tad bit more complicated.

Luckspeare

You could also just put the alternate set of sprites in an enclosed .zip file, with instructions to the effect of "if you prefer the alternate sprites, just extract these into the mod's textures folder and let it replace existing files."  That way you wouldn't have to maintain separate versions.  That's what I've done where I have a mod with alternate sprites that some people may prefer -- no maintaining two mods.

lance_hardwood

Quote from: spincrus on September 17, 2017, 05:53:07 PM
Quote from: lance_hardwood on September 17, 2017, 05:21:16 PM

I hear you. The only problem I have with that is that I'll have to maintain two separate mods at all times, which is double the work for me, and make things a tad bit more complicated.

to be honest it would suffice if you'd just add the toothles sprites als alternative in the textures folder (and name them "_alternative" or whatever) and every moduser could just choose to his or her liking. In fact, there are quite a few modders who do this :)

spincrus

I was considering to implement some sort of mod options, but AFAIK there is no such framework present in A17 currently.

So, I think providing the "toothless" sprites as an alternative and giving instructions on how to install is the way I'll move forward.

Hang on, man, hang in there :D I'll post them sometime later today.