[1.0] Dinosauria: A Rimworld Mod / v1.4

Started by spincrus, September 17, 2017, 10:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lance_hardwood

sirgzu

Can't wait for someone to implement Ark style breeding mod  ::)

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: spincrus on September 18, 2017, 06:19:17 AM
I was considering to implement some sort of mod options, but AFAIK there is no such framework present in A17 currently.

I believe there is but just not via XML, you have to code it with C#. See mods like Allow Tool, Combat Extended, and other as well for examples. They end up all listed together in a mod options menu. I think now that you have released a mod you could get on the modder's discord and they could probably point you in the right direction.

Anyway, great looking mod!

SpaceDorf

Why don't you spell it out :)

For menus and additional options you need to look into HugsLib.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

megrim

Question for the author: do you play Ark? Also, this looks like a lot of fun... how much meat is a brontosaurus going to yield...? LOL

DoctorFowl

Man, this is so very awesome!!!
I'd just like to know, if I play this with "A Dog Said" without any patches, what are the implications?

Thanks in advance!

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Xiyn

Oh this looks cool.  I want to add this to my game, but i need to wait for CE and ADS patches.  I'd do it myself but I don't know a thing about modding Rimworld. 

dburgdorf

Quote from: spincrus on September 18, 2017, 06:19:17 AMI was considering to implement some sort of mod options, but AFAIK there is no such framework present in A17 currently. So, I think providing the "toothless" sprites as an alternative and giving instructions on how to install is the way I'll move forward. Hang on, man, hang in there :D I'll post them sometime later today.

That's probably the best bet. Adding configuration options (via C#) is actually pretty damned easy now, and does *not* require HugsLib. BUT... in my experience, trying to change graphics after the game's loaded is pretty much impossible, which would make a configuration option all but useless.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

spincrus

Quote from: SpaceDorf on September 18, 2017, 09:56:00 AM
Why don't you spell it out :)

For menus and additional options you need to look into HugsLib.

I'm such an idiot, this is exactly what I needed, thanks! I'll fiddle around with it a little bit.

spincrus

Quote from: dburgdorf on September 18, 2017, 06:02:18 PM
That's probably the best bet. Adding configuration options (via C#) is actually pretty damned easy now, and does *not* require HugsLib. BUT... in my experience, trying to change graphics after the game's loaded is pretty much impossible, which would make a configuration option all but useless.

What if I were to replace a specific string within the defs through an option and force a restart?

Luckspeare

Can't wait to get my parasaur.  I'm a big parasaurophile from playing ARK.

Thanks again for this awesome work.

spincrus

What I'm willing to do is to expand on this mod by some C# coding. What I'd primarily focus on would be:

1) Mod Options (a snippet that will rewrite the XML to target the toothless sprites and vice versa)
2) Additional animal behavior (nesting?)
3) Stampedes (to mimic the gallimimus stampede in Jurrasic Park  :D)

I first need to learn how to beef up my coding skills though, since I can be really clueless at times, and the methods that I'd utilize (out of StackOverflow) would probably be the less optimal ways, when there's probably a fancy method out there that does exactly what I want in a single line, etc...

Run And Hide Gamer

Is there any trick to seeing the dinosaurs.... I have loaded the mod and it sits in Rimworld in 3rd place behind Base and Hugslib. When I start the game there are no dinosaurs on the map at all..... do they hatch from eggs and appear later?

dburgdorf

Quote from: spincrus on September 18, 2017, 07:28:04 PM
Quote from: dburgdorf on September 18, 2017, 06:02:18 PMIn my experience, trying to change graphics after the game's loaded is pretty much impossible, which would make a configuration option all but useless.
What if I were to replace a specific string within the defs through an option and force a restart?

Theoretically, that could work.  But I have no idea if it's possible to have the game code edit the content of XML files, much less how you'd actually go about doing it.

And I should probably point out that trying to allow a configuration setting to change an item's graphic is something I only toyed with a bit, anyway, back when I was trying to create such an option in "Fertile Fields" to allow users to pick which look they preferred for soil. I tried all the "obvious" methods I could think of to get the game to accept a change of a graphic definition, and none of them worked. But it's certainly possible that I missed something.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?