[MOD+MODPACK] (Alpha 3F) Vanilla+ (v1.2.6 - May 21, 2014)

Started by pawnstorm, May 12, 2014, 03:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawnstorm

Vanilla+

Description:
This mod is basically a compilation of all my previous mods but more polished and with some extra features, most of which are configurable in the Architect+ menu.
The aim is to provide an easily extendible core mod that enriches the vanilla gameplay experience without adding too many things that push it in a certain direction or affect balance too much.

Important:
You can't use this mod on an existing savegame. You have to start a new game with this mod enabled and you can't disable the mod for that savegame afterwards.

Download:
The download link is at the bottom of this post or here.

Modpack:
I've also created a small modpack around Vanilla+ with a small selection of mods that in my humble and probably biased opinion fit well with the philosophy of this mod. You can download it here. It includes Vanilla+.

The modpack consists of these mods:
Inventory Panel, PowerSwitch, Cremation Chamber, Electro Slag Remelting, Resource Compression, Fertilizer Pump, Rotating Hoppers, NoMore Naked Colonists.

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in game.

Screenshots:

* Some details on the options under miscellaneous settings:

- Every tile you build something on will be added to your home region
- Colonists won't take jobs outside of home region when there are enemies
- Puts down new blueprints when buildings or structures get destroyed
- Corpses will be automatically unforbidden in your home region
- Sandbags can't be surrounded by other sandbags anymore
- Adds the sand tile to the "Structure" menu
- Increases the population cap (3 minimum, 25 maximum, 250 critical)
- Will make turrets shoot at hostile animals too

To make your colonists automatically hunt animals, you need to set up a bill in your butcher table and click on the button to enable it. If you want your colonists to hunt faster, set up another butcher table.

Other features:
- Order your colonists to eat or go to sleep when their respective food or rest level drops below 50%.
- Improved firefighting
- Can remove thin rock roofs with no roof region
- Automatically undrafts colonists after rescueing/capturing/etc.
- New jobdriver for hunting which includes hauling corpses back

Notes:
- Architect+, Battle Formations, Automatons and PopCap+ are already included in this mod.
- Click on "Vanilla+" to open up the settings dialog. The second page is still a bit of a mess, I know.
- I removed the sand toggle in v0.9 and didn't add one for the improved no roof region, but if you want to disable those you can still do that in the Mods/VanillaPlus/Settings.xml file.

Credits:
Clker.com is where I got the images I used for the buttons
ItchyFlea for allowing me to use PopCap+ in my mod
Joretap0, Haplo, Psyckosama, zelldot, mrofa, WorldOfIllusion and Silvermane for allowing me to add their mods to my modpack

Changelog:
0.1- Sneakpreview
0.5- Added meat threshold for autohunt, turrets attacking animals, toggles to pause game on events
0.9- Merged some namespaces, added thin rock roof removal and improved firefighting, reworked curfew and update home region a little
1.0- Improved firefighting a bit more and fixed 2 options not always being loaded properly
1.0.1- Added automatically undrafting colonists after rescueing/capturing/etc.
1.1- Fixed possible bug caused by "Stay inside during threats", changed auto unforbidding corpses to also affect non-human corpses
1.2- Added jobdriver for hunting which includes hauling the corpse back
1.2.1- Small update to the sandbag waffle restricter, probably not very exciting for most of you
1.2.2- Small bugfix for a (very rare) bug concerning loading a savegame and fire reservations
1.2.3- Slightly improved the waffle restricter
1.2.4- Fixed a bug related to the "Stay inside during threats" option
1.2.5- Fixed this and did another minor tweak in that class related to "Stay inside during threats"
1.2.6- The text above the architect menu can now be changed by editing the Settings.xml file

P.S. No muffalos were harmed during the making of this mod.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

pidggit

Quote from: pawnstorm on May 12, 2014, 03:06:12 PM
P.S. No muffalos were harmed during the making of this mod.

How'd you pull this off? SO MANY muffalos were harmed in the making of my mod... :)

Tynan

I have to say, this is quite impressive.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Crimsonknight3

Is it possible to use vanilla+ but disable the architect+ functionality? Having lots of items is a pain, but clicking the buttons multiple times to scroll through tabs keeps confusing me as there is no clear indication of which tab I happen to be on thus making me have to try and remember how many clicks a certain item is etc etc

Thanks

pawnstorm

Quote from: Tynan on May 12, 2014, 04:25:14 PM
I have to say, this is quite impressive.
Thanks! Always nice to get the big kahuna's approval :P.

Quote from: Crimsonknight3 on May 12, 2014, 07:05:50 PM
Is it possible to use vanilla+ but disable the architect+ functionality? Having lots of items is a pain, but clicking the buttons multiple times to scroll through tabs keeps confusing me as there is no clear indication of which tab I happen to be on thus making me have to try and remember how many clicks a certain item is etc etc

Thanks
I suppose I could make paging optional, but is this really an issue? Even on 1024x768 resolution, I can fit about 36 small icons on a page. I reckon 2 pages shouldn't be too hard to memorize, especially when you sort them, how many items do you have in your tabs? :P

Crimsonknight3

Im on 1600x900 and the text almost completely covers the icons, so I have to turn small icons off which results in for example 3 furniture tabs without any research done. It isn't a big "issue" but it would be nice to have the option in the future perhaps?

[Edit] I would like to point out that i LOVE the sorting feature by the way and I think you've done an amazing job with all your mods :)

pawnstorm

Quote from: Crimsonknight3 on May 12, 2014, 08:01:47 PM
Im on 1600x900 and the text almost completely covers the icons, so I have to turn small icons off which results in for example 3 furniture tabs without any research done. It isn't a big "issue" but it would be nice to have the option in the future perhaps?
What's wrong with the text covering the icons? You can still click it right? It's only for some of them...

Anyway, I'll make a setting for the max number of rows it displays per page, that's be even better, right? I don't think I'll add it to the settings window since I doubt many people would feel the need to change it, but next release you can find and change it in Settings.xml in the VanillaPlus folder. [offtopic] I also added an option to make turrets also shoot hostile animals for the next release :).

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: pawnstorm on May 12, 2014, 08:13:38 PM
Quote from: Crimsonknight3 on May 12, 2014, 08:01:47 PM
What's wrong with the text covering the icons? You can still click it right? It's only for some of them...

Anyway, I'll make a setting for the max number of rows it displays per page, that's be even better, right? I don't think I'll add it to the settings window since I doubt many people would feel the need to change it, but next release you can find and change it in Settings.xml in the VanillaPlus folder. [offtopic] I also added an option to make turrets also shoot hostile animals for the next release :).

that sounds perfect. just the option is a bonus lol it doesnt matter too much but when im picking an item in any game I usually always do it by icon not text. only time I use text is if I cant find something ill slowly read all the text until I do.

off topic that is an AMAZING idea!! why nobody has done it yet is beyond me! a turret can save you from hoards of angry space men with guns and grenades but they cant protect you from a lone squirrel!!! lol One note though is perhaps put an option to disablw in the config.xml again I say this simply as im a person who thinks of every eventuality. Maybe a person has a turret defence for raiders but uses hostile mobs to train combat or some such malarkey. If the option is there then you dont need to bother adding it in the future shpuld some random person want to go hand to hand with an angry boomrat lol

p.s sorry if my english is bad, im writing on my phone with my sleeping daughter next to me in the car waiting for my partner to get out of the supermarket

Austupaio

Also, personally, I wouldn't like turrets targeting hostile animals, so please do make it optional, if that's feasible for you.

What's the point of hostile animals if the turrets will just tear them up? With turrets fighting animals, there's absolutely no challenge to animal attacks.

iame6162013

Quote from: Austupaio on May 13, 2014, 11:37:22 AM
Also, personally, I wouldn't like turrets targeting hostile animals, so please do make it optional, if that's feasible for you.

What's the point of hostile animals if the turrets will just tear them up? With turrets fighting animals, there's absolutely no challenge to animal attacks.
yea then they(the hostile animals) are very weak...
What about more hostile animals the more turrets...
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: iame6162013 on May 13, 2014, 11:57:27 AM

yea then they(the hostile animals) are very weak...
What about more hostile animals the more turrets...

Agreed, maybe just an option for turrets attacking animals now, but in the future with more coding and time, animals becoming more difficult or # of animals attacking increasing with the amount of turrets there are on the map...

Austupaio

I'm already killing tribals by the hundreds, I don't really want to have to deal with the lag and corpse disposal of a 500 muffalo attack on top of that...

iame6162013

Quote from: Austupaio on May 13, 2014, 12:31:54 PM
I'm already killing tribals by the hundreds, I don't really want to have to deal with the lag and corpse disposal of a 500 muffalo attack on top of that...
well just bomb em... really that's what i'm doing just at this point day 500 (TOO MANY TONS(100 by 100 full of corpses... THAT'S HUGE))
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

pawnstorm

I'm trying to stay as close to the vanilla experience as possible so almost everything will be optional, and enabled by default only when I think they add convenience without affecting balance. So yeah, it will be optional and turned off by default.
I even added a toggle for enabling placing sand, which is a funny story actually... well, maybe not "haha" funny, actually ok it's not really funny, lets call it mildly entertaining, anyway I digress...
I couldn't figure out a way to hide or disable items at runtime, so what actually happens if you disable sand in the architect+ menu is it adds ThingDefOf.DoorKey to the buildingprerequisities of sand.

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: pawnstorm on May 13, 2014, 02:06:06 PM

I'm trying to stay as close to the vanilla experience as possible so almost everything will be optional, and enabled by default only when I think they add convenience without affecting balance. So yeah, it will be optional and turned off by default.
I even added a toggle for enabling placing sand, which is a funny story actually... well, maybe not "haha" funny, actually ok it's not really funny, lets call it mildly entertaining, anyway I digress...
I couldn't figure out a way to hide or disable items at runtime, so what actually happens if you disable sand in the architect+ menu is it adds ThingDefOf.DoorKey to the buildingprerequisities of sand.

I'm sure it was funnier at the time haha I agree that optional is key when building a utility mod such as this. Have the devs included a way to add your own tab to the games own options menu? Or perhaps we could ask, then you could include options for ALL of your mods additions without having to edit .xml's. Personally I don't mind editing files but as with all walks of my life, I try and think of things from other peoples perspectives. From experience I see people being told all the time how to install a mod or edit a file and you still end up with tons of people asking for the same things they have already been told.

I wish I had the patience to learn modding. I started learning how to mod minecraft and it was going well until I hit a brick wall where I couldn't figure out something but I couldn't get anyone to help me so I just stopped. Wanting to build an addition to buildcraft where I could build a modular engine that would be 2x3x3 so it was a rectangle like most usual engines, then attach a drive shaft and then build a modular 2x2x2 cubular generator to generate power.

If I was modding this game I would probably try and make a mod where you could add a custom pawn into the game bought only from a tech trader of sorts that could ONLY haul things, give it a robot looking skin and it would never have to eat or sleep but instead periodically head to its "charging station" to recharge, and then move on to adding similar robots for combat - farming and perhaps mining. Well that's one of my visions. I don't have the knowhow to make it real though. I have always been an ideas person.... lol