[1.0] Smokeleaf Industry v1.14a

Started by larSyn, September 20, 2017, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman666

@Harry_Dicks I am being a really sincere smart ass with a bad cold:) So once again I am sorry, if I came off as sarcastic snob. Also, I can kind of see why someone wouldn't like bulk recipes, since nothing in vanilla RW has those and it kind of creates "alienated" feel for mod's content. I wonder if thats why you are not fond of having bulk recipes for some content?

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Madman666 on February 24, 2018, 06:41:33 AM
@Harry_Dicks I am being a really sincere smart ass with a bad cold:) So once again I am sorry, if I came off as sarcastic snob.
No worries. I can recognize that I'm a big enough asshole that I need a dish of my own medicine once in awhile too :P

Quote from: Madman666 on February 24, 2018, 06:41:33 AM
Also, I can kind of see why someone wouldn't like bulk recipes, since nothing in vanilla RW has those and it kind of creates "alienated" feel for mod's content. I wonder if thats why you are not fond of having bulk recipes for some content?
I hadn't thought about why I don't actually like bulk recipes, but now that you have proposed this reasoning, it seems to make sense to me. Other than that, I can't think of any other reasons why I don't like them that much. Maybe it also has to do with when I setup a workstation for pawns, 90% of the time I will have the ingredients needed for the workstation on stools or fridges right next to the interaction cell. This makes it so that the pawn making whatever recipe can work on them 100% non-stop with zero downtime. To anyone who doesn't know, pawns won't have to stop working for a split second if the ingredients are beside them on stools. But I suppose setups like this along with simple 1x recipes are all I need to be satisfied with the work output.

Well, thinking on it more, I suppose I can list two other reasons. One, as mentioned earlier, is that I feel like if I have the option for bulk recipes and they are more efficient than 1x or smaller quantity recipes, then I never want to use the smaller ones again. I guess it will mess with my brain too much knowing that I am being less efficient than I possibly could. That's probably the min/maxer in me coming out.

The second reason, that sort of ties into the first, is that I hate seeing tons of "bloat and/or clutter". I'm not saying that bulk recipes are necessarily just bloat, but from my perspective they can be. I have memories of when I was just getting going with mods, and went a little crazy with them; when I opened up probably a smithy or something to see what recipes I had to choose from, it was an obnoxious amount.

As I've posted elsewhere in other threads, I am a huge fan of quality over quantity, and I hate variety just for the sake of variety. A not perfect example of this, something I can recognize is great work but simply not for me is Vegetable Garden. Not to go into crazy details because I'm sure we can all see why I wouldn't like a mod like that, but maybe this carries over also into having too many recipes with some more efficient than others and just filling up my list with a bunch of other stuff that I will never use. And after pruning my mod list for the past few months by a very significant amount, I can't help but see anything extra in my games that I know I will never use and have to do something about it. Whether this means turning a mod off, or changing the xml defs to my liking, I can't sit idly by and not change it - it will eventually get to me :P

To kind of sum up my reasoning, I suppose it's something like: bulk recipes make me not want to use lesser recipes because they will then be less efficient. Then I will have a ton of extra recipes in my lists that I will never use. Then I start thinking about all kinds of extra crap in my game that I could possibly cut out, and it spirals from there.

PS-I will admit I can acknowledge that I do feel like a bit of a hypocrite for attacking bulk recipes. This is because I will dismiss other's claims that something (additions/recipes/modifications from mods) makes the game too easy, to which I will retort something along the lines of, "It's a single player game, with dev mode and virtually unlimited cheating for whatever you want. If someone doesn't want these features then they don't have to use them and/or can adjust the defs to their liking."

Madman666

The thing about having some resources on two (or more) stools - I used that as well, some people call even that an exploit, but when you have ludeonicrous map, 30 people, 20 animals and around 100 mods each with its own new resources to craft from - the amount of mini-stockpiles you have to setup to create efficiently working production chain is... well a lot. And apparently each stockpile creates more CPU load, since colonists has to check more instances of storage space when they choose where to bring stuff and game has to check more stockpiles with higher priority, to refill those mini-stockpiles in time. Along with tens of bills on tens of crafting stations which always check their ingredient radius to allow people to craft, even high-end CPU starts to lag. I was sure that me buying a most efficient single thread CPU there is would solve it, but no, it got better, but still not entirely.

So honestly my earlier lash out was caused more by a performance issue, than anything else (performance as you sure noticed is a sore spot for me:)).

Bulk recipes are mostly the same thing as setting up two stools if you look at it closely. One stack of stuff is usually 75 items, which is 4-5 items crafted if it takes 10 to 15 items to complete the bill, so setting up stool thingy will give you an equivalent of bulk x4-5, before the guy needs to go and refill the stockpiles on stools (or dog hauling squad refills it live while crafter does his thing, which is even more efficient). The crafter guy can get stuff for crafting from all adjacent spots (if 3 is reserved for crafting station, that leaves 5 tiles for stools, so having a 75 item stack on each of those can bring you up to x10-15 bulk equivalent even though it will look weird). Bulk recipes mostly just let up some load from haulers (and this is a constant problem, unless you have 20 trained dogos). But yeah, I kind of see your point. If I didn't like something, but that thing was more efficient than something I did like, I'd still have to use thing I don't like, while grumbling about it, because i also am a min-max kinda guy. (holy crap what kind of sentences my sick brain can come up with.)

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Madman666 on February 24, 2018, 08:45:31 AM
(holy crap what kind of sentences my sick brain can come up with.)
Hah, if I said even 10% of the stuff I think, I might set a record for how many reports I could get before being banned. And I think Ramsis already has a crush on me ::)

I'll have to get back to the rest of this post later, have to get ready for interview #3! Quite nervous..

larSyn

Quote from: Canute on February 24, 2018, 02:21:39 AM
Little feedback.
It is a bit annoying when you allready can cook/bake smokeleafe cookie, but when you can't made the hemp milk.
I think the research should unlock all the normal recipes, while a further research should unlock the bulk recipes.

Same to trim cultivation (x5) at the cultivation table, both need adv. research, while you allready can build the table the 1x and x5 recipes should be availble there too like you can do at the Drug lab.
While the x10 stay behind the adv. smokeleaf cultiv. research.

Nutrileaf bar and other food stuff,
you made it out of good stuff and it is a nice addon.
But i think it should have somekind of nutri. value, i think 0,25 would be ok.
And since it contain smokeleaf stuff maybe some 5-10% joy wouldn't be bad.

Hey Canute.  Yeah the cookies require muffalos early on.  It's the same with the brownies requiring chocolate.  You have to get lucky with a trader (or have VG).  I didn't intend for them to be easy to get right off the bat.  Everything that comes later (ie the hemp milk) should make earlier things easier to make.  The exception is the flour, without that you wouldn't be able to make any edibles early on.  And up until the last update, they all had nutrition values.  I took them out since that what was causing the 10 jobs in 10 ticks error and pawns using them as animal training food.  I'm trying to find a workaround so they get the nutrition back.

As for the trim recipes, that is how i originally had them.  The bulk recipe opened up at the next level of research.  People complained, so i put them all together.  I may sneak that back in, since it is how I originally wanted things.

@Harry and @Madman   I like you guys.  You're funny.  Thanks for resolving things peacefully!   :)

Harry_Dicks

RyanRim

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

larSyn

Harry_Dicks

larSyn

larSyn

Smokeleaf Industry
Updated to B18-v1.9b
See OP for changelog.

Nothing major...just a bunch of bug fixes.

After the new update if you have a hempoline bill at the refinery you will have to destroy and rebuild the refinery. It's because of the new combined hempoline recipe. Thanks to commiekiller for figuring this out.

Canute

Can anyone tell me a good use for the Hemp nanosheet.
I though with the high production cost it should be a real good stuff.
Kind disapointed it only got 85% blunt 55% sharp.
Not even worth to use it for club weapons.

larSyn

Quote from: Canute on March 02, 2018, 04:54:12 PM
Can anyone tell me a good use for the Hemp nanosheet.
I though with the high production cost it should be a real good stuff.
Kind disapointed it only got 85% blunt 55% sharp.
Not even worth to use it for club weapons.

As of now, those multipliers don't do anything.  I was a little sloppy and forgot to erase them.  The nanosheet is only used for building the new battery, solar generator, and the conduit.  It's also fairly valuable, so you could make some money off of any extra.  If people would prefer it was made into "stuff", I could make it that way and have it be stronger than the biocomposite.  Let me know what you guys think.

Canute

It need alot of work,worksteps and smokeleafs to craft even 5 nanosheet.
If you put these recipe at smokeleafe glittertech, i could imagine it should be a material with better stats then plasteel and hyperweave.

For cash it is better to craft the hemp fiber straight into furniture, or into fabric and appareal.

photomike72

I agree with the posts about the nanosheets. I haven't even bothered with them. However, if the stats were to change to better reflect the cost I would use them. Even the name "nanosheets" suggests that it's a high tech, incredible material to work with. If we had the ability to build strong items from it, I think a lot more people would use the nanosheets.