Share your trick

Started by khun_poo, September 22, 2017, 07:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khun_poo

I'll start.

Use "Held open door" instead of sandbag in your kill box for your colonist to take cover.

Sandbag can cover your colonist for 60% while opened door can cover 75%.

skullywag

Place a growing area over any ambrosia that spawns and set sowing to off, your pawns will keep on harvesting it automatically.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Nameless

Plant trees in your maze. Slows down incoming army considerably. Can also combo with incendiary IED.

Sola

Quote from: skullywag on September 22, 2017, 07:52:17 AM
Place a growing area over any ambrosia that spawns and set sowing to off, your pawns will keep on harvesting it automatically.

This is neat.  Did not know this.

Just got some basic ones that oldbies take for granted.
-Make construction a restricted job.  Have only your best constructor set to the job and nobody else.  Improving this skill will increase the QoL of your colony.
-Better quality beds improve rest efficiency.  Stone beds are worse than wood beds.
-If you're cooking food and using a freezer anyways, rice is functionally better than potatoes and corn.
-Make prison cells large, clean, and pretty to improve recruitment chance.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

maculator

Make a zone that covers beds+food+joy. And every time you need something done immediatly restrict the colonist you want to do the job to that zone and extend it over the place he's supposed to work in.

Dargaron

Quote from: Sola on September 22, 2017, 09:39:21 AM

-If you're cooking food and using a freezer anyways, rice is functionally better than potatoes and corn.

Aren't Potatoes an edge case, since they grow "relatively" faster in Gravel? On maps with limited soil, that can be important.

Jibbles

You can store stuff like meals in transport pods without them spoiling.  I believe you can also put a colonists in there and use it as a cryptosleep casket.  Anyways, I mainly use them for emergencies.  I have them stocked up with meds and meals at all times so my pawns can get in and go while being prepared when caravans get in trouble. Note: You add those items back to the list before launch since you have to cancel the launch in order the load up the colonist.

gipothegip

Put roofing over turrets, and positions your fighters will defend from. The darkness will make them harder to be hit from ranged attacks in addition to any cover you provide them.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

maculator

Quote from: gipothegip on September 22, 2017, 06:10:38 PM
Put roofing over turrets, and positions your fighters will defend from. The darkness will make them harder to be hit from ranged attacks in addition to any cover you provide them.
I thought that was patched out of the game?

Crow_T

Probably a crappy trick,  but to remember the order of the lower qualities I use "ASPN" (like aspen)
Awful
Shoddy
Poor
Normal
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

khun_poo

Quote from: skullywag on September 22, 2017, 07:52:17 AM

Wow! That method is great to make ambrosia farm.

I have an addition trick. Let's call it "Beauty shared statue". If you build a room with cut-corner and place statue there. The beauty from the statue will share between corner of the room. It's good for when you happen to craft legendary large statue but also want to give it benefit to several room at once.

This is how you do it.

photos upload sites

Another room

As you can see from the picture. The statue in the gap at the center of the room share beauty to both room. It's also share to other room on the side too. This method doesn't change your bedroom into barrack by the way.

maculator

Not sure if you can call it a trick, but:
In the beginning I only use electricity for my fridge and I place my solar panel far away from the battery to have the zzzt event happen far away from both with a relatively high chance. I also keep the conduits as far away from my wooden fridge as possible and cut all the plants arround my setup.
I also tend to play fairly far with wooden houses since they keep the wealth down. This plus only farming/mining/building what you really really need keeps raids manageble until you get better gear.
Edit:

B-S     <--Battery + 1 Conduit + Solar Panel = 100% Chance a zzzt blows up everything.
B-------------------------S     <-- only ~4%

SpaceDorf

Quote from: maculator on September 22, 2017, 10:24:48 PM
B-S     <--Battery + 1 Conduit + Solar Panel = 100% Chance a zzzt blows up everything.
B-------------------------S     <-- only ~4%

Addition : Never use a single line of power.

-------------------------------->Base
|                                 |
S-------------------------B--->Base

no matter which part explodes, your base is still powered.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Ironvos

Use a 'Chimney' for your coolers to avoid them being the weak spot in your walls.
With stone walls you can even keep the roof over the tile as the temperature should not ignite the walls or the cooler.
But if you want a real chimney, get rid of the roof over the one open tile.