Share your trick

Started by khun_poo, September 22, 2017, 07:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NiftyAxolotl

You can heat your home with a geyser. First, wall it up with no roof inside your main compound. In winter, open an interior wall and finish the roof. In summer, take down the roof and seal it up again.

khun_poo

To avoid drug binge event without violent. You can make a false caravan with any colonist. Bring all the drug with him and let him stay out of the map until the drug binge colonist calm down.

Lady Wolf

Scatter out various wood chairs or other cheap furniture in your killzones for enemy raiders to climb over and attempt to hide behind.

Often times they will either try to use the shoddy furniture as cover (which won't last long under gunfire) or focus their attention on attacking/setting it on fire making it easier to kill them.

A small pile of 100 silver surrounded by traps and/or a clear firing line for your snipers seems to work well too to distract incoming bandits.

Edit:

Another trick is to place non violent pawns directly in front of your shooters, the gunner will automatically shoot over the pawns shoulder/past them and give the gunner additional cover and hopefully soak enough hits to let the fighter keep fighting long enough to turn back the raid.

(If you're using any mods that add gun emplacements you can have non violent pawns man those as well and they won't raise a fuss about it and happily shoot the enemy.)

Edit 2:

If you're having trouble recruiting one of your prisoners and are tired of waiting, sell them into slavery, exit the trade screen then re-enter and buy them back (wait for them to exit your prison first however if selling to a caravan) You'll still lose a bit of profit in the exchange but gain the new colonist instantly, which can be a fair bit cheaper than meal costs over the weeks it takes to recruit the stubborn prisoner. (Let alone the chance of further injury death during escape attempts.)

maculator

When you selected the future location of your base, visit it, pause the game and check wich paths your colonists would take to reach various mapedges. If you see any bottlenecks on their way you can place a few traps there to just weeken them while they approach you. Or you can see where you could/should place a bunker with good view on a mersh or open field.

Walling yourself in is cheesy and boring, placing a hand full of traps in bottlenecks and constructing small bunkers arround your base in places with terrain advantages is fun!

Lady Wolf

To help offset the lengthy mood debuff of addicts when you're trying to break them of the addiction schedule joy activites for an hour every 3 hours of waking time, or alternatively schedule them to sleep 20 hours a day, the less they're conscious the less mental breaks they have.

maculator

Quote from: Lady Wolf on September 24, 2017, 07:55:22 AM
To help offset the lengthy mood debuff of addicts when you're trying to break them of the addiction schedule joy activites for an hour every 3 hours of waking time, or alternatively schedule them to sleep 20 hours a day, the less they're conscious the less mental breaks they have.

Interresting. What about sedating them?

Canute

Sedate is coming from EPoE mod and need a medicin/herbal. But when you pawn's suffer at poor mod, you might be low on medicin too.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Canute on September 24, 2017, 09:26:17 AM
Sedate is coming from EPoE mod and need a medicin/herbal. But when you pawn's suffer at poor mod, you might be low on medicin too.

You could order an operation and cancel it after the sedation part .. that works in Vanilla.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

maculator

Does anybody have some cool ideas what to do with those cryo-tubes? (forgot the propper english name for it)
Can you just put some addicted person in them and let them sleep it out or will the addiction last? What else could one do with them?

SpaceDorf

As far as I know all body functions are stopped when in cryo, so no rehab-on-ice.
But you can use the pods to :

store prisoners you can't support at the moment.
save sick pawns for when medicine is available again.
store your luci-troopers.
store crippled pawns until you have the parts to repair them
last retreat when your colony is razed by overwhelming odds.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Canute

mac, looks like you didn't watch enough Sci-fi movies ! :-)
Why do you think the people get put into Cryptosleep casket ? Because they  shouldn't age, that mean anything is on hold/statis or at last at very low rate.  This works for the addiction too.
When the pawn comes out of the casket, the first he want is to smoke or drink a beer.

Beside to deconst. the casket, you can put in an extremly hurt pawn/prisoner until your doc is healed and got time to take care about these patients.

Lady Wolf

Capsules are also handy to store organ bank prisoners in, since they tend to get somewhat mental after harvesting too many organs, and once they're immobile you need to feed them too, which can be a real resource drain over the years.

I find it helpful to store a couple mostly intact prisoners in cryo capsules for those emergency organ transplant needs then briefly unthaw them when needed. (Also keeps them from prison breaking and losing those precious organs.)

Edit:

Another handy use is to stick your grazing animals inside them for safe storage in the event you ever run out of hay/food for them so they don't starve during long winters. Or use them to Store Warden Wargs* when you run low on corpses to feed them.

*Warden Warg - A Warg or pair of wargs set into a restricted area consisting of the prison and a near by freezer where corpses are stored. The Warg will feed off the corpses and make short work of any prisoners that go berserk or attempt prison breaks.

Barley

Enemies that don't have a pain threshold and many organs are practically invulnerable to bullets, because said bullets will hit "unnecessary" or "redundant" organs (think "Fifth Body Ring" or "Left Eye Sensor").

Grenades counter this by hitting several organs at once. Stock up on frags.
Deadfall Traps Counter this by only hitting the head and head-mounted organs. Place many of these around crashed ship parts when beginning an assault.
Finally, for those tribal players out there, use boomrats. Boomrats breed rapidly and explode just like grenades and can be fed with cheap haygrass if you're not in a desert.
https://imgur.com/a/ePLCS

Don't bother training the rats. Just put the Rodent Response Regiment in an allowed area, then switch them to another allowed area inside the enemy concentration zone. Enemy stupidity will do the rest. Meanwhile the Boomrat Breeding Brigade sticks to the safety of isolated breeding chambers past the response chambers.

khun_poo

Quote from: Barley on September 24, 2017, 06:13:09 PM
Enemies that don't have a pain threshold and many organs are practically invulnerable to bullets, because said bullets will hit "unnecessary" or "redundant" organs (think "Fifth Body Ring" or "Left Eye Sensor").

Grenades counter this by hitting several organs at once. Stock up on frags.
Deadfall Traps Counter this by only hitting the head and head-mounted organs. Place many of these around crashed ship parts when beginning an assault.
Finally, for those tribal players out there, use boomrats. Boomrats breed rapidly and explode just like grenades and can be fed with cheap haygrass if you're not in a desert.
https://imgur.com/a/ePLCS

Don't bother training the rats. Just put the Rodent Response Regiment in an allowed area, then switch them to another allowed area inside the enemy concentration zone. Enemy stupidity will do the rest. Meanwhile the Boomrat Breeding Brigade sticks to the safety of isolated breeding chambers past the response chambers.

That was the crazy way to use boomrat lol. By the way, should I let the roof open? I think it make a room really dangerous when boomrat's fire start to burn.

My addition trick. You can use frag grenade to extinguish fire  ;)

SpookyMunky

I guess my tip would be assault rifles are actually badass :)

I know I am supposed to use mainly bolt actions rifles according to the min/maxers hehe.. holy hell though, I am fairly sure that is a running joke at newbs expense ? I don't class myself as a newb but I feel like I fall for it every time someone mentions the stats etc hehe... I recently told my lev20 crafter to build me 8 of his best, the highest he got was superior (I guess that is the max ?)

I almost lost the colony purely because I had that wtf moment, why is no-one doing any damage, then having to send people back to pick up assault rifles and snipers etc mid fight :)... all that was going through my head was damn you internet hehe.. what is the obsession with bolt action rifles ?