[A17b] Animal Part Hit Chances are Wildly Disproportional

Started by XeoNovaDan, September 07, 2017, 11:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XeoNovaDan

Overview
When attacking animals with certain body types, whether it be with melee or ranged, most hits don't hit the body, but in fact the limbs, ears, eyes, and so on. The animal body type that seems to be the worst-affected by this phenomena is 'QuadrupedAnimalWithPawsAndTail'. If my memory hasn't failed me, I reported this issue during the unstable stage: a panther actually lost limbs but the torso was relatively untouched.

While, strictly speaking, this isn't a bug, some body part coverages definitely need tweaking; the current setup may cause great frustration to some due to the significant meat and leather losses simply due to RNG, when it's somewhat undue. A rule of thumb I've personally established from this is to just leave an animal to die either from starvation or bleeding as opposed to quickly (and humanely) finishing it off.

The screenshot below is an extreme case scenario as to what can happen with the current coverage setup:

It's not uncommon to see multiple limb losses however, when the animal should be dead.

Expected Outcome
Colonist would quickly and efficiently finish off the downed animal with little to no additional, unnecessary body part loss.

Actual Outcome
Screenshot.

Mods
I took this screen capture quite a while ago (still Alpha 17), but I remember that I was only running HugsLib and Mod List Backup: HugsLib being a mod functionality library, and Mod List Backup being a mod management utility. Neither of these two mods wouldn't have had any impact on the situation, and the same results could be produced even with just Core active.

Steps to Reproduce
1) Spawn multiple colonists
2) Spawn multiple animals with the body type 'QuadrupedWithPawsAndTail' (e.g. alphabeavers)
3) Send the colonists to attack the animals
4) Watch as the hits are widely distributed across the entire body, with almost no torso concentration whatsoever.

ison

If I remember correctly these chances were adjusted in A17. I'll leave this for Tynan, maybe he'll want to address this.