How to stop my pawns from chopping trees I planted for their secondary resource?

Started by Kori, September 25, 2017, 07:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kori

Whenever I plant trees that grow secondary resources (Vegetable Garden, Cupro's mods), sooner or later my pawns will chop them down without even harvesting the secondary resource at least once.
I thought that when I remove the growing zone after planting the trees it will stop them from automatically cutting them down, but that didn't help.
Any ideas?

PS:
Feature request: it would be very nice if automatic harvesting of wood would only be true for existing growing zones, as well as an option to disallow (automatic) harvesting for specific growing zones in general, just like the option to disallow sowing.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Kori on September 25, 2017, 07:23:59 AM
I thought that when I remove the growing zone after planting the trees it will stop them from automatically cutting them down, but that didn't help.
Any ideas?

This should not happen in vanilla, do you use Fluffies Colony Manager with a automated woodcutting job ?
If yes, check if you removed the ressource trees from the allowed list.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Kori

I do use the Colony Manager, but I never added even a single woodcutting job and definitely don't have an active one. Even in the settings for a new job all trees are unchecked.

Could it be related to Fluffy's Work Tab? When you expand the growing job, there is a job called Harvest plants which yield produce, whatever that means.
Also Harvest Crops, Harvest secondary resources from plants and Sow crops have two identical columns each.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Kori on September 25, 2017, 08:39:23 AM
I do use the Colony Manager, but I never added even a single woodcutting job and definitely don't have an active one. Even in the settings for a new job all trees are unchecked.

Could it be related to Fluffy's Work Tab? When you expand the growing job, there is a job called Harvest plants which yield produce, whatever that means.
Also Harvest Crops, Harvest secondary resources from plants and Sow crops have two identical columns each.

Those jobs are added to Fluffy's WorkTab because they are part of other mods. His WorkTab mods picks up those included jobs so that you can manage them as well. There is nothing about the WorkTab mod that enables automatic job delegation, that could only be part of his Colony Manager (or some other mod I don't know about)

Canute

Does this allways happen, that your pawn chop the fruit-trees or does it just happen sometimes ?
Even fruit-trees just got a limited lifetime, you can harvest them a few times and then they need to be replanted.

SpaceDorf

Just asking to be sure .. stupidity not implied.

Which architect tool/order do you use to harvest the secondary ressource.

I don't know about VG but Cupro's Cherry Trees have a "Harvest Secondary" Tool.
If you use the normal harvest/plant cut/chopping tools .. the trees will be chopped down.

Finally. No plant will ever be automatically cut outside of a construction site or growing zone.
The only possible way of this to happen is when ordered by the player or assigned by a mod.
The only mod known to me, that assigns Jobs is Fluffies Colony Manager ( please tell me if there are more )
Since you use the Colony Manager you should re-check the woodcutting AND foraging assignments.

Kori

Thank you all for the replies, I really appreciate it!

It happens very rarely when the pawns for growing seem to have nothing else to do, so I think it must be a job with a low priority in the grow category.
It's not the age of the trees (they just reached 100% and they never grew fruit so far) and I haven't marked them with any tool at all, but when I do I only use Harvest Secondary.
And it only happens to trees with secondary resources.

Well the job in the grow category with the lowest priority is this Harvest plants which yield produce, which sounds really suspicious to me. :D I've searched my mod folder and it is introduced by Refactored Work Priorities https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26077.0
Its latest update added some bigger changes to the grow/ cut plant system and how everything is handled, so I strongly suspect that this is the reason.
I'll deactivate the mod for now and see if that solves the issue.

And in case anyone else stumbles over the duplicate jobs I've mentioned before and wonders why this happens:
These are added by Prison Labor http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=972057888
and it adds duplicates when using Work Tab to the following:
deliver food to prisoners
mine
cut plants
harvest crops
sow crops
clean filth

But that seems to be a minor aesthetic issue only.

Again thank you for your help! :)

SpaceDorf