Terrain tile icons, what do they tell me?

Started by maculator, September 25, 2017, 11:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maculator

I mean there are several different icons for the same terrain type.
This for example are all "large hills":

Is there anything going on with the icons? Do they actually matter?

SpaceDorf

They tell you :

Height : Flat, Small, Large, Mountenous, Impassable
Biome : Color
Roads, Rivers and Settlement

There are different sized Tiles for Height and different formed Tiles to mix it up. .. similiar to rock chunks.
The form itself is only cosmetical in nature and tells you nothing of the Terrain on this Tile. .. except height.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

maculator

Well " Flat, Small, Large, Mountenous, Impassable" is obviously... I was just confused because all highlighted icons stand for "large hills".

SpaceDorf

Nope, sorry, no hidden messages in the mountains  ;D ;D

At least that is what THEY want you to believe ..  8)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dburgdorf

Maculator, I can't *believe* you would post a message like the one hidden in your first post on a public forum. We all know it's no accident that those large hills say what they say. You should be ashamed of yourself!

(But, uh, yeah, as SpaceDorf said, the differences are actually purely cosmetic, just to make the map look a bit more interesting.)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

maculator

I'm not a native speaker so I really don't know what message I could've hidden in my post :/
Well, would've been nice if those symbols actually indicate the type of mountains you could expect on the map.
Unless you use a mod that alters the behavior of the map generator there really isn't a way of telling what to expect. Sadly I misstrust people making mods of such kind... heard they put all kinds of viruses and stuff in those files

Ra_silk

my experence with mods has been good and i know that the workshop for mods is fine and the forum mods are almost imeadtly donloaded and if there ever was any virus it would be found very quickly and the modmaker would get the attention of the forum modderators very quickly be fxed or taken down, and if you are not sure just read though the comments, any known issues can be found there.

maculator

Quote from: Ra_silk on September 26, 2017, 09:17:03 AM
my experence with mods has been good and i know that the workshop for mods is fine and the forum mods are almost imeadtly donloaded and if there ever was any virus it would be found very quickly and the modmaker would get the attention of the forum modderators very quickly be fxed or taken down, and if you are not sure just read though the comments, any known issues can be found there.
I wasn't even half serious^^ I am actually using his "configurable maps" mod.

Edit: Maybe sarkasm as a non-native speaker wasn't the best idea. So to prevent people form thinking all the wrong thing I want to clearify that dburgdorf makes awsome mods and is trustworthy.

Ra_silk

I thought that was the case but i decided i may as well say something in case someone reads it and believes that everything is full of viruses and as such loses the wonderful world of mods. i don't want to try to disprove anyone or attack anyone, i just want to provide information for people.

dburgdorf

Quote from: maculator on September 26, 2017, 09:25:18 AMEdit: Maybe sarkasm as a non-native speaker wasn't the best idea....

For what it's worth, I understood and appreciated the humor. ;)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?