[1.0] The Many Mods Of Mehni [Updated "daily!"]

Started by Mehni, September 26, 2017, 03:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mehni

@Sarge: You can install Climate Cycle++ and not add a climate cycle to your scenario to achieve the same thing a standalone mod would do. So no, I'm not inclined to make it a full-blown standalone mod with a mod page and a preview image. If you don't use the scenario part it's even fully save-game compatible.

@Harry_Dicks: Makes sense, but that's not what the end credits song is called ;) Instead we'll just imagine that the RimWorld has been grabbed by a cult praising the Sun and is waiting for its warming embrace.

Re: Seasons, yes. It's an offset to the regular outdoor temperature. If you want extreme seasonal weather, you could set the period offset to 1 and the temperature will go up and down like crazy. Set it to 3 and you have something akin to your scenario.

I am planning on expanding this mod further, yeah. You've given me some great ideas! I liked the Cold Desert Nights mod you showed me earlier and while it's a different approach from what I do, something like that is interesting and could mesh well.

The world map doesn't reflect the temperatures, no. Multiple maps haven't been tested, so if you give it a test I'd love to know. If it works (which I suspect it does) then climate cycles will be synced.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Mehni on January 13, 2018, 03:21:11 AM
@Sarge: You can install Climate Cycle++ and not add a climate cycle to your scenario to achieve the same thing a standalone mod would do. So no, I'm not inclined to make it a full-blown standalone mod with a mod page and a preview image. If you don't use the scenario part it's even fully save-game compatible.

@Harry_Dicks: Makes sense, but that's not what the end credits song is called ;) Instead we'll just imagine that the RimWorld has been grabbed by a cult praising the Sun and is waiting for its warming embrace.

Re: Seasons, yes. It's an offset to the regular outdoor temperature. If you want extreme seasonal weather, you could set the period offset to 1 and the temperature will go up and down like crazy. Set it to 3 and you have something akin to your scenario.

I am planning on expanding this mod further, yeah. You've given me some great ideas! I liked the Cold Desert Nights mod you showed me earlier and while it's a different approach from what I do, something like that is interesting and could mesh well.

The world map doesn't reflect the temperatures, no. Multiple maps haven't been tested, so if you give it a test I'd love to know. If it works (which I suspect it does) then climate cycles will be synced.

Sounds great, thanks for the response! One more thing I thought of, if you have the options of Winter is Coming or the heat equivalent, and say you leave it on that for a few years so the temp is quite different than normal, what happens if you change that button back to default settings? Will the temperature slowly over time equalize back to normal values? Will it take about as long to get to normal, as it did to get to the extreme temps? If that's the case, then I think I might be able to use that as a temporary work around, until you expand upon the mod options further :)

EDIT: After reading this post https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=38190.0 I was curious how raiders and non player pawns will dress with your mod and extreme temperatures. I know there's a limit to clothing, but if it is say -100C outside, will they all show up in parkas and stuff. What about -200C, will they even show up at all? Can any animals survive that even? I think I read somewhere that animals will leave map after being too hold/cold for too long for them, so I'm curious about how they react to it as well. Sorry for so many questions, I just haven't had a chance to get a decent game going in awhile and check out the longer term effects.

Mehni

Changing from one setting to another should change the temperature right quick. It doesn't "reset" the climate cycle, it switches the results over.

The mod (currently) doesn't change apparel or pawn spawning. Vanilla doesn't like to spawn humanoids when it's colder than -40C or hotter than +45C, but it does try to dress its pawn appropriately for the temperature (think tuques or cowboy hats). I am inclined to add an option for raiders to come with wool parkas if the temperature drops to -100C (because that's the point where vanilla bugs out).

Harry_Dicks

Man, I don't know how it's possible but this just keep getting more and more awesome! Also, would RimWorld be able to sort of "scan" all available apparel for the warmest clothes, that raiders are still eligible to spawn with? I ask because I might throw in some new modded clothes that make it so you can withstand even more extreme temps, maybe an extra 100F or whatever. If it were say -100C outside, and I have modded clothes that would make it okay for raiders, but no vanilla clothes would, would the game be able to find and use these clothes, to be able to spawn raiders that don't all have hypothermia right off the bat?

Something else I just thought of, it would be great to have Xeo's Genetically Engineered Plants with this. He has duraveg that has a low yield but can withstand extreme temps. I'm thinking this would be a really cool little modpack of: Climate Cycle++, Quantum Cooler, Furnace, Genetically Engineered Plants, Insulation (or whatever it's called for the extra insulated walls), and maybe another mod that adds extreme temperature gear. I'm thinking I might hack up something for myself with something like long johns that covers the whole skin layer, thermal shirt for middle, and heavy fur coat for shell. Also, a special power armor for hot and cold. Or hell, maybe one for cold and one for hot!

Also, there is another mod I want to try with yours, called Nature Is Pretty Sweet. But I haven't followed it recently, there were a lot of bugs at first but I believe most of them were taken care of. I'm thinking I will at some point though, and your mod will should mesh perfectly with that as well!

Sarge

Quote from: Mehni on January 13, 2018, 03:21:11 AM

That's perfect thanks. I'm keen to take your mod for a spin in any case since I'm a sucker for punishment and my colony just got wrecked so it's time to re-roll... again.

Harry_Dicks

So I want to use the Realist Darkness mod with yours as well. The last posting on this forum is for the A17 version though, so things might have changed for B18, but I was curious if this would cause any compatibility issues with your mod, posted here https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=23244.0
COMPATIBILITY NOTES:
You SHOULD be able to load/unload this mod at will without any ill effects.
This mod overrides 1 definition file and 1 assembly event:
weathers.xml definition file.
Eclipse events in the core game assembly. (Does not touch event handlers; only the specific verse associated with this one event)
This mod has a very small footprint and should be compatible with everything that doesn't touch eclipses or the weather definitions.

Mehni

Completely compatible. No issue there.

Climate Cycle++ doesn't change any of the core functions. All it does is add a TemperatureOffset.

Mehni

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Mehni on January 17, 2018, 04:39:37 PM
Officially updated Food Alert for B18.

Woohoo! Thank you, Mehni! What plans do you have for us next?! ;D

Harry_Dicks

OMG! YES! Now if only you had a "Sow zone (all)."  I love the stuff you're doing, keep up the great work! ;D

Mehni

I am happy to announce the release of Pick Up And Haul!

"Greatest hauling mod ever" - Chicken Plucker

Colonists will gather stuff in their inventory, then haul it all to a stockpile.

This hauling mod will greatly increase hauling efficiency, because pawns can now carry more than one gun or t-shirt. Those smart and intelligent colonists can use their inventory! You gotta see it to believe it.

Compatibility notes:
Should work fine with other hauling mods like AllowTool's Haul Urgently, Please Haul Perishables and Stack Merger, but they don't gain the inventory-benefit. May or may not work with Combat Extended. Compatibility and synergy is the next goal. Let me know in the comments which mod to prioritise.

Save-game compatible. If you want to remove it, draft everybody before removing it.

Credits and thanks:
- erdelf and Why_is_that for code and advice (yet again!)
- Chicken Plucker, for the preview image
- Brrainz, for the amazing Harmony library

Come join us on discord. https://discord.gg/RimWorld

Balance notes:
On the one hand this takes away a frustration of mine, but I can't deny that it won't make the game at least somewhat easier. You can bring back some of that challenge again with my other mods like Sun Tzu Raider Tactics or Climate Cycle++.

Get it on GitHub or Steam

Mehni

Canute

GEEEEESHHHHH Mehni,
do you know how long the modding community is waiting for this ? :-))

Sarge

This walks straight up into the list of "must have" mods. Awesome.