[1.0] The Many Mods Of Mehni [Updated "daily!"]

Started by Mehni, September 26, 2017, 03:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mehni

Updated Pick Up And Haul. I cured kleptomania! Mostly.

I'll add more of a description later, for now I'm tired and going to bed. Direct download will be up tomorrow.

The mod no longer conflicts with Combat Extended or Simple Sidearms, and it shouldn't conflict with While You're Up. If it does, give me a description of the problem and an output_log.

- Pawns will remember what they've grabbed and not unload meals (or simple sidearms, or medicine you told them to pick up!)
- Pawns will unload when idle.
- Pawns will unload when they have a lot of stuff in their inventory.
- Pawns will no longer hoard all the things. Mostly. Sometimes they still will.

There's a ton more in there, but they're under the hood refinements.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Mehni on January 29, 2018, 08:03:11 PM
There's a ton more in there, but they're under the hood refinements.

You keep it up, mister, and you can refine me under the hood anytime ;)

Natthone

I just wanted to say that the new hauling mod conflicts with SimpleSidearms, I believe. The colonists unload whatever is in their inventory instead of just dropping the wood they chopped. So every time someone with a sidearm unloads, they drop their weapon, which is promptly picked back up. I thought it was funny.

SzQ

Quote from: Mehni on January 29, 2018, 08:03:11 PM
Updated Pick Up And Haul. I cured kleptomania!

The main problem that made me to remove this great mod is that they walk around with harvested organs around. Organs in my game rot in one day if not stored in negative temperature.

Usually contemplating my personal spacetime reality at
stream

Mehni

Quotejust wanted to say that the new hauling mod conflicts with SimpleSidearms, I believe.

The newly released v0.18.1.0 doesn't conflict anymore. Get it from Steam or Github.

I've put in a lot of work and added a ton of refinements this last week since release. For the full newly-updated description read below:

Functionality
If possible, colonists that can haul will haul stuff to their inventory, pick up one more item to haul to a stockpile and then unload their inventory. If for some reason pawns run out of things to haul before their inventory is full, they will unload themselves:

- At semi-regular intervals, if their inventory contains 3 items or more.
- When their inventory has reached a certain mass limit.
- When they haul something else to a stockpile.
- When they're idle.

You can tell colonists to pick up an item and keep it in their inventory. They will remember what they have and keep it on their person. This is very practical for field doctoring, or for animal trainers taming herds of animals.

Limitations
- Only player-owned humanlikes can use their inventory to haul. Rule of thumb: If you can order it to equip a gun or wear a pair of pants, it'll use their inventory to haul for you. No guests, animals pretending to be robots, dogs, prisoners, or whatever else.
- At (rare) intervals, under certain specific conditions, pawns will unload everything they have in their inventory. This is a type of garbage collection on my part. I'm not happy with it just yet.
- The unloading isn't perfect or bulletproof. Colonists will occasionally turn into kleptomaniacs. There's a fine line between "Pick Up And Haul", "Pick Up And Walk Back Immediately" and "Pick Up And Hoard All The Things".

Compatibility notes:
Should work fine with other hauling mods like AllowTool's Haul Urgently, Please Haul Perishables and Stack Merger, but they don't gain the inventory-benefit.

Works well together with Simple Sidearms.

Does not conflict with Combat Extended, but if Pick Up And Haul detects CE, then it will lay dormant.

Compatibility and synergy is the next goal. Let me know in the comments which mod to prioritise.

Future plans:
- Synergy with Haul Urgently, Please Haul Perishables and Combat Extended. Not conflicting is one thing, cooperating is another.
- Mod settings.
- Many more refinements.

Kori

Quote from: Mehni on January 30, 2018, 08:00:11 AM
Compatibility and synergy is the next goal. Let me know in the comments which mod to prioritise.

CE, please! :)

Harry_Dicks

CE isn't even fully patched to B18 yet, though? I could be wrong, but I would hate to see you dedicate a significant amount of time for getting your mod to work with CE, and to then see CE get a major update, rendering your work moot. Although it is your time, and I will not try to tell you how to spend it ;)

wwWraith

A few other mods that may have to be tested for compatibility as they touch hauling or unloading:

I'll try, however I'm a bit worried about this thing:
- At (rare) intervals, under certain specific conditions, pawns will unload everything they have in their inventory. This is a type of garbage collection on my part. I'm not happy with it just yet.
I don't want to realize that my pawns unloaded their sidearms (they often have some work tools equipped as their "main weapons") only when a raid comes. So, can you clarify these conditions so it will be predictable for the player? Or at least add some sort of warning when it happens until you'll find a better solution?
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: wwWraith on January 30, 2018, 09:16:43 AM
I'll try, however I'm a bit worried about this thing:
I don't want to realize that my pawns unloaded their sidearms (they often have some work tools equipped as their "main weapons") only when a raid comes. So, can you clarify these conditions so it will be predictable for the player? Or at least add some sort of warning when it happens until you'll find a better solution?

Fantastic work wwWraith. That has me also thinking, could we get some sort of flag or warning if a pawn has been carrying perishables for longer than X amount of time, or if an item has deteriorated X percent while in a pawns inventory, or something. Using Rah's Bionics makes it so that organs needs to be refridgerated, and this could prove terrible for ironman playthroughs and you could have something crucial rot while in a pawn's inventory. I know people will say that something this important you should micromanage, but I am just trying to extrapolate this thinking into other scenarios, and how it could prove detrimental to the player. I'm not sure of the duration of these organs, but something like Haplo's Bees & Honey has these special honeycombs with a queen bee that will spawn, but rot within 24 hours unless you build a new hive box. Dammit, I can't think of the what you call what a beekeeper keeps his bees in..

Canute

QuoteYou can tell colonists to pick up an item and keep it in their inventory. They will remember what they have and keep it on their person. This is very practical for field doctoring, or for animal trainers taming herds of animals.

How do you do this ? I didn't found a way to do it yet.

But like wwWraith mention, no improvement with SimpleSidearms, they just drop their weapons and repick them after the unload.
Maybe you can add a inventory switch not to drop this on an unload.

Another thing, pawn still put chunks into their inventory when you order them to haul. But you can't force them to drop them.
Lucky they drop/unload them when they are going to unload.

wwWraith

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 30, 2018, 10:08:21 AM
Using Rah's Bionics makes it so that organs needs to be refridgerated, and this could prove terrible for ironman playthroughs
[...]
Haplo's Bees & Honey has these special honeycombs with a queen bee that will spawn, but rot within 24 hours unless you build a new hive box.
I'm not trying to say that the rotting is not a problem, but a couple of tips: after a several solar flares during heat waves (which happened nearly every year) I decided for myself that it's more practical to store the organs inside their owners until the time of need rather than in freezers ;) And for Bees&Honey, I just designate some beehives in advance so when any queen appear it is quickly hauled directly to the buildings.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

pinguin42

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but playing with version 18.1.0 is about as problematic as with 18.0.2 but in the exact opposite direction. As mentioned in my previous post, this may very well be mod conflict because I'm playing with 100+ mods (and installed this one on an existing save)

2 notable issues with screenshots here https://imgur.com/a/kCqvZ:

• Items don't seem to stack in colonists inventories anymore, so when I deconstructed a ruin on the map a hauler came over, picked up 3 stacks of ~5 blocks and returned to the stockpile. Screenshot 1
  • Colonists don't  unload their entire inventory when there is still stuff to haul (not consistently, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't). Same example; when another hauler with more than 3 items in her inventory arrived at the stockpile, she unloaded a single stack and went right back out there to pick up another stack of 4 blocks Screenshots 2, 3, and 4

Mehni

QuoteI don't want to realize that my pawns unloaded their sidearms (they often have some work tools equipped as their "main weapons") only when a raid comes. So, can you clarify these conditions so it will be predictable for the player? Or at least add some sort of warning when it happens until you'll find a better solution?

A pawn basically has to win the Tick lottery. The code that triggers the forced unload runs infrequently and at unpredictable intervals. If Pick Up And Haul finds the pawn is carrying more than 2 items. From my testing it runs about once a day for certain pawns, almost never for others.

It gets printed to the dev console when it does.

[PickUpAndHaul] Matvei cleared haul-state and will drop inventory.

Quotecould we get some sort of flag or warning if a pawn has been carrying perishables for longer than X amount of time
Might be worth handling on my part. I'll look into it.

QuoteHow do you [pick up an item and keep it in inventory] ? I didn't found a way to do it yet.

Quoteno improvement with SimpleSidearms, they just drop their weapons and repick them after the unload.
Maybe you can add a inventory switch not to drop this on an unload.

Check the mod description and verify you're on v.0.18.1.0 or later. This is largely handled and you should see significant improvement. It's not perfect, I'll admit, but it's significantly better than what it was before.

@pinguin42: That's fantastic feedback, thank you. I'll work on a solution for that. Like I said elsewhere, there's a fine line between "Pick Up And Haul", "Pick Up And Walk Back Immediately" and "Pick Up And Hoard All The Things" - examples like yours point out the flaws in the system.

Mehni

Quote from: Canute on January 30, 2018, 10:15:18 AM
Another thing, pawn still put chunks into their inventory when you order them to haul. But you can't force them to drop them.
Lucky they drop/unload them when they are going to unload.

If you check the stacktrace output on the error when that happens you'll see that this is a problem caused by Simple sidearms. It's not a problem I can fix without preventing colonists stuffing chunks in their inventory entirely. I posted in the appropriate forum thread and I hope PeteTimesSix fixes it on his side.

If he doesn't it, I'll either have to hardcode some workaround or degrade functionality for everybody using this mod: not just the people who use both Simple Sidearms and Pick Up And Haul.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: wwWraith on January 30, 2018, 10:37:37 AM
I'm not trying to say that the rotting is not a problem, but a couple of tips: after a several solar flares during heat waves (which happened nearly every year) I decided for myself that it's more practical to store the organs inside their owners until the time of need rather than in freezers ;) And for Bees&Honey, I just designate some beehives in advance so when any queen appear it is quickly hauled directly to the buildings.

Hah, I figured I would get at least one or two answers for those statements :P I ended up using Solar Flare shield, along with Rimatomics and really big batteries, solar flares aren't an issue anymore for me. And about the beehives, that's exactly what I ended up doing like you said, after being curious as to why I couldn't find any once I started to actually try and make some. The next issue I had with it was the pawns always wanting to eat the honey before it could get hauled. I think it must have been higher in their food list, higher than a fine meal. I know about WM Smarter Food Selection, but I think I had some issues with it when I was checking it out, or at least I wasn't getting out of it what I wanted, and have it benched for now.

I actually haven't had a full game going for about 6 weeks now. All I've been doing it just "tinkering" with all kinds of different mods, I suppose trying to build my own "dream mod list" lineup, without redundancy, and exactly how I like it, with nothing I don't. But this has given me a pretty decent taste of pretty much all available mods and their features.

I've also been modding a ton of my mods as well. Taking some from certain mods, changing values or colors in others, it can end up being way more work than you think it would be! But I'm not complaining, because everyday I'm having fun. And everyday I keep lying to myself, saying, "today's the day I actually play a colony past day one!" I'm not sure when I will ever get around to a real game like that, but I have this feeling like today's the day I actually play a colony past day one! ;)

EDIT:
Quote from: Mehni on January 30, 2018, 02:29:45 PM
I posted in the appropriate forum thread and I hope PeteTimesSix fixes it on his side.

If he doesn't it, I'll either have to hardcode some workaround or degrade functionality for everybody using this mod: not just the people who use both Simple Sidearms and Pick Up And Haul.

Just something to think about, for anyone who is used to using Simple Sidearms, and would also like to use Pick Up and Haul, but is concerned they might have issues. You could use Kiame's Weapon Storage, as an alternative to Simple Sidearms. I think you will just lose the autoswap functionality of SS, because I don't see much of a difference from making a pawn swap their weapons between the two mods. SS does make a pawn account for the mass of any carried sidearms, however. Now that I think about it, Weapon Storage could be even better though, because with the Mending mod and it's patch for Weapon Storage, then you will always have your weapons/sidearms at full health! ;) The only real difference, is I think with SS the pawn is still technically carrying the weapon, but with Weapon Storage, the weapon is actually stored in the storage building? Or it might be a "pocket dimension," but I'm not really too sure.