Rimworld doesn't take place on a Rimworld, it's much more than that.

Started by Call me Arty, September 29, 2017, 03:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

It explains so much!
Quick refresher for those who haven't read/remember the lore page: The most advanced forms of AI in the canon universe is so incredibly beyond human imagining, they transcend beyond their physical form. They've been known completely take over planets, making Transcendent Worlds. The worlds have insane power, able to manipulate time, space, and minds. Ever wonder where Insanity Lances and Psychic attacks come from? Plus, whoever flies into these have what seems to be a 1/3 chance of never being seen again.

It would make sense that the Rimworld we land on is a transcendent world in either early development, or has shut down. It would explain why, in a galaxy of millions of planetoids and no FTL travel, so many people are just hangin' around the edge of reachable space ready to trade furniture or crash-land. You think that's just luck? Nope. The same forces that are sending armies of squirrels to your colony with a insatiable hunger for some man-flesh are also driving people to the planet for some greater scheme using Psychic wizardry. If you care to disagree, what logical reason explains why an ex-assassin-turned-Druglord, some artsy teenager, and someone who's been living on a giant ball of radioactive waste their whole life, are on the same ship? "Oh yeah, let's all just take a vacation in the furthest possible point from safety." Nope. Spaceship pilots and maybe even their passengers alike are being willed to make their way to deep space. Why? We can't answer that for the same reason an ant couldn't understand why giant less-hairy apes are forgoing food and sleep to sit infront of a glowy box.

What about components and steel? Last time I checked, microchips and steel aren't found in nature, and a ground level? Seems suspicious, like something tryed or is trying to turn the planet into, say, a planet-sized super computer?
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Yetei

Hi,

A planet-size super computer would be Type I on the Kardaschow-Skala, able to use ALL the energy on the planet, so they would probably cover the surface with a Photovoltaik-somewhat layer.
"They, it" would be a virtual entity who is immortal by time, but I think it would shield it self against intruders, like we would against parasites.

If they would acend into some sort of "Energy-beeing" like Stargate or like we imagine "God", the planet would look like the one we land on.

IMHO.

Fuck typos, I'm drunk.

SpaceDorf

Good explanation.

So the Rimworld is just a game for someone ..  ;D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

gipothegip

Interesting theory. Perhaps this is who the storytellers are?

I wonder if the player could be an AI as well. I've always wondered what our role was in terms of the game's universe.

The "disembodied & omnipresent" mayor / commander / manager that works for most other rts & management games, doesn't seem to fit with what's going on. Yet something / someone has to be mapping out the colony and giving orders in context of the story.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it and it's not meant to be defined :P
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

SpaceDorf

Not necessary an AI, but an ascended boardgame.

Like this :

==== EDIT ====

After pondering over the picture for a few minutes I noticed that Randy and Cassandra switched genders on this one, and I can't really see who Phoebe might be .. but I'll be damned if this is not a accurate depiction of Rimworld :)

==== EDIT 2 ====

Since Annoya, Goddes of Cutlery and Stuck Drawers is not in the Picture, I think Phoebe could be represented either by Urika, Goddes of Saunas, Snow and theatrical performances for less than 120 people. ( the blond on the left of Io ) or by Libertina, Goddes of the Sea, Apple Pie, certain types of Ice Cream and short length of string.
( the brunette on Io's right.  )

While the player is of course represented by Blind Io himself.

==== EDIT 3 ====

The rest of the Gods represent the Modders :)

Slimy_Slider

+1 For Discworld references

I wanna know who Death is in Rimworld.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Slimy_Slider on October 01, 2017, 07:34:06 PM
I wanna know who Death is in Rimworld.

You ever played the game ?
All four of the Riders pay regular visits to your colony as themselves.
Only Ronnie Soak never leaves :)

Klitri

"Charlie the friendly AI from the past " potentially could be, say, Cassandra's long lost AI storyteller brother. Explains why he lands on the planet to rescue you because he would be his own storyteller AI capable of manipulating the story, right ? right ?