[A17][WIP] RimWAR (beta test)

Started by MajorDam, October 12, 2017, 08:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MajorDam

RWAR

Much better graphics in game  :P

Description:

This mod aim to replace the vanilla way of dealing with weaponry and warfare in general.

- New researchs and research prerequisites:
. 10 news researchs with chronological logic of discovery (from firearms principles discovery to futuristic weapons)
. New prerequisites for: MultibarrelWeapon, ShieldBelt, PoweredArmor, ChargedShot, GunTurrets, Mortars, IEDBomb, IEDIncendiary
- It replace of the vanilla guns with new names, stats, textures and sounds.
- It add prerequisites for SimpleHelmet, AdvancedHelmet and the VestPlate
- It add more than 140 melee and ranged variant of weapons
- It add a system of weapon upgrade with a new crafting table. (ex: you already have an M4A1 rifle, upgrade it with an Holo or Acog sight and foregrip/handgrip an change its range/accurary and cooldown accordingly to the set of accessories choosen. Boost medium range accuracy whithout disturbing your short range range accuracy with an holo type sight or boost your maximum range and accuracy for Acog like sights but reduce your accuracy at short) Obviously, adding weapon upgrade increases the weight of the weapon.
- All the weapons have a realistic name, description, weight, sound, (sampling from videos, then edited with audacity), fire rate and damage according to the caliber they are using. The damage and the speed of the projectile have been calculated according the scientific datas available and a scale of values have been created to reflect it with the vanilla engine whithout using advanced coding. The maximum weapons range did not change a lot to let the mod compatible with most other mods.
- New projectiles textures, different one for each type of bullet.
- It drastically change the materials cost of the weapons and worktime depending on the weapon category. All weapons are now smeltable and you can recover 1/4 of the construction cost for each one (except the wood). The weapon's value (price) is calculated according to the materials cost (vanilla values.Ex: 1.9$/steel, 14$/plasteel, 21$/component, etc) and in addition with the quantity of work to make (10k WTM=30$, same proportion as for the vanilla assault rifle).
- Big weapons or and heavy ones may reduce the global work speed of the pawn carrying it and even slow him down.
- Grenades are now a bit more powerfull, can be thrown above barriers, cost a bit less to be crafted but are single use only.
- Melee weapons in industrial times are now effective again. Excepted pistols and revolvers, all the ranged weapons have a bad (or very bad) accuracy at touch range.
- Vanilla turret range, explosion radius and probability, cost and bullet def+sound changed.
- Mechanoids weapons max ranges tweaked.
- All vanilla faction will spawn with RWAR weaponry.
- In general, you may be able to kill your enemies faster but you could also be killed faster...

Mods recommended

- ResearchPal
. Due to the new research prerequisites and new technologies added, I highly recommend ResearchPal or any mod that reorganize the reseach tab automatically

- SimpleSidearms
.Even if the mod was developed to be balanced without SimpleSidearms, using it with RWAR will greatly change the gameplay. Especially since grenades are now single use only or since the melee weapon a new must have in some situations. Having a sniper rifle with someone charging you at close change might not be the best solution to deal with it, you might be happy to be able to carry a pistol, an SMG, a pump shotgun or a carbine to take the relay in this situation too.  ;D

Work in progress

- correct the sound bug (crack at the end of the sample played) present with some weapons (still don't know why, the bug doesn't appear when the sample is played normaly on windows)
- find the right balance of StatOffsets (MoveSpeed & WorkSpeedGlobal) for heavy weapons
- adjust the deterioration rate for machineguns & Explosive Devices and some other weapons
- correct various bugs that can be found
- At this point, I did not plan to add any more contents before the first release. I'm in the last stage of finding bugs and polishing the content already existing. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated  ;)

Issues/Notes

- Since this mod intend to change a lot of things compared to vanilla weapons, all weapons packs and faction that are based on vanilla stats, even if compatible, may not be balanced with RWAR...
- ...however I planned to work on patching factions (or even other weapon packs) to be balanced/compatible with RWAR after the official release  :)
- Should be compatible with most of mods, vanilla defname did not changed, all new items are using their own defname, etc. The only possible problem in my knowledge that can occurs is if the a faction mod use the weapon tag "AdvancedGun" to add weapon with vanilla faction. This weapon tag have been supressed by patching method in RWAR. There might not be not a crash but the weapon using this tag will never spawn with vanilla faction pawns.
- Savegame compatible in most of cases I believe unless if one of your pawn is smelting a weapon, crafting one (or if there is an unfinished version somewhere)

Author/Mod Team

MajorDam / alone  :-[ ;D

Download

[A17]RWAR beta

Dashboard RWAR beta (Quick overview file of the mod with detailed stats and information on each weapon and more. It's an .ods file, you'll need OpenOffice or convert it into .xls and open it with excel to be able to read it)

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

MajorDam

I still have no idea from where came the "cracking" sounds of some of the guns. As I said, the same sound samples played with VLC or windows media player are perfectly fine. I tried ogg, mp3, wav format, I tried to modify the frequency of the sounds, reduce the volume, change the pitch and so on but whithout any improvements. At this point I wonder if the problem is not isolated at my own configuration. If someone have installed the beta version, I would really appreciate a feed-back on this matter. Can you also hear the same weird cracking noises at the end of a weapon firing ? You can try whith the MP18, UMP45 or LVOA-C for example.

Thank you !

EDIT:

Litle update:
- Research descriptions added
- Corrected a sound glitch with weapons where we couldn't hear the third shot fired of the burst due to their high fire rates

Robloxsina66

have you tried a combat extended compatible?

MajorDam

Yes, I already thought about making a version/patch CE compatible after the first release since it's a very popular demand for every weapons pack. However I never tried CE myself so I don't know yet all the work I'll have to do to make it compatible yet. I only know how to make a caliber and gun def compatible version but there is a lot more problems/pending issues about converting RWAR into CE compatible like for example the cost and qty of work to make guns are very different, the muzzle flash scale, how to deal with the researchs, with the texture of the bullet, the weight of the guns (mines already includes ammo weight), etc.

It'll basically require me to rebalance almost everything from scratch and not just simply convert it, ultimately it should be a very time comsuming task and not will not be for tomorrow...  ;D

EDIT: don't expect much more update this week-end on the mod, I worked several hours on it almsot everyday since end of August and I need a little break now  ::)