[WIP] [A17] Tribal Fires

Started by swefan, September 30, 2017, 01:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swefan

Tribal Fires

This mod change the fire texture and adds stuffs related to the fire, the theme is Tribal, for now it adds only a Bonfire, a Corpses Pyre, a Funeral Pyre and a Tribal Torch, others coming soon...

*Added a Corpses Pyre where you can burn enemies corpses (as fuel)
*Added a Funeral Pyre, to commemorate your deceased colonists

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

tommiethegun

Looks great! Can the bonfire be used as a funeral pyre to burn bodies as well? Or maybe a separate fire type that takes a human corpse as part of its building materials?

swefan

Quote from: tommiethegun on September 30, 2017, 08:12:04 PM
Looks great! Can the bonfire be used as a funeral pyre to burn bodies as well? Or maybe a separate fire type that takes a human corpse as part of its building materials?

lol perfect timing, I was going to show just that, yes you can use the bodies as fuel, about the funeral I can try, but now this bonfire is like a satanic ritual  ;D

tommiethegun

That looks awesome! Next is something like the burning effigies in The Forest :)

SpaceDorf

What I don't know is why you describe the corpse-fire as satanic ..
I would not cook over that one, but I can't think of something more useful.

swefan

Quote from: tommiethegun on October 01, 2017, 03:54:40 AM
That looks awesome! Next is something like the burning effigies in The Forest :)

I had thought of this too, but there are two issues.
1 The bodies in rimworld have no limbs.
2 Fire animation is like a opaque sticker to stick over to an image, covers everything under it, the only thing you could do is a body with a burning head like a torch, or I should create a new animation, but this requires C#, I don't know if it would be worth spend many hours for a new custom animation and coding in C#, maybe next week

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 01, 2017, 05:14:56 AM
What I don't know is why you describe the corpse-fire as satanic ..
I would not cook over that one, but I can't think of something more useful.

Well.. there are bodies impaled  :-X
anyway I don't like it even, I'll just call it "Corpses Bonfire"

SpaceDorf

Quote from: swefan on October 01, 2017, 07:38:03 AM
Well.. there are bodies impaled  :-X

If I remember my history correctly that was is more of a christian thing :-D

While the satanistic or pagan religions would rather eviscerate or maim their victims offerings.

How about making it more cultural docile and turn it into a funeral pyre ?

swefan

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 01, 2017, 07:54:22 AM

I like it too much to change it, but I like the funeral pyre idea, I haven't problem for creating a new art for it, but how should I set it up? just a bonfire where you can cremate corpses? In the Corpses Bonfire the corpses are used as fuel

SpaceDorf

Quote from: swefan on October 01, 2017, 08:05:40 AM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 01, 2017, 07:54:22 AM

I like it too much to change it, but I like the funeral pyre idea, I haven't problem for creating a new art for it, but how should I set it up? just a bonfire where you can cremate corpses? In the Corpses Bonfire the corpses are used as fuel

Don't change the bonfire then, I love the look of it, this is exactly what belongs in the middle of a killbox or on the path most used by invaders if you don't use killboxes.
You should change the name. Bonfire suggests some celebration or positive event, while Pyres were used to burn witches ( I am not a native speaker, so I have to clarify the definitions for myself )

For a Funeral by Fire or Cremation, I think of a mixture between the stone sacrophagus and a campfire.

The thing is, now I start thinking how you could seperate the corpse types used for fuel. Because mass burning some enemies is of course totally different to the burning ceremony of a lost member of the tribe.

swefan

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 01, 2017, 08:55:06 AM
Don't change the bonfire then, I love the look of it, this is exactly what belongs in the middle of a killbox or on the path most used by invaders if you don't use killboxes.
You should change the name. Bonfire suggests some celebration or positive event, while Pyres were used to burn witches ( I am not a native speaker, so I have to clarify the definitions for myself )

For a Funeral by Fire or Cremation, I think of a mixture between the stone sacrophagus and a campfire.

The thing is, now I start thinking how you could seperate the corpse types used for fuel. Because mass burning some enemies is of course totally different to the burning ceremony of a lost member of the tribe.
"I am not a native speaker" even me  ;) , so campfire, bonfire, pyre etc for me are all the same thing lol, but I googled it you are right bonfire is more for celebration

separate the corpse types? Well, this isn't a problem, you can filter the human corpses with Allow/Disallow, for example:

<specialFiltersToAllow>
        <li>AllowCorpsesColonist</li>
        <li>AllowCorpsesStranger</li>
      </specialFiltersToAllow>

<specialFiltersToDisallow>
<li>AllowRotten</li>
<li>AllowCorpsesColonist</li>
     </specialFiltersToDisallow>

SpaceDorf

For Bills or Stockpiles you can.
Does this work for Fuel Types as well ? Or how do you fuel your Bonfire ?
( I'll try it out and stop asking stupid questions )

swefan

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 01, 2017, 10:43:54 AM
For Bills or Stockpiles you can.
Does this work for Fuel Types as well ? Or how do you fuel your Bonfire ?
( I'll try it out and stop asking stupid questions )

Yes it's works even for fuel

I set my bonfire for not accepting colonist corpses and rotten corpses, I tested it many times and works, colonist refuel the bonfire only with human corpses of strangers

*obviously I'm talking about the xml file

SpaceDorf

swefan

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 01, 2017, 02:29:48 PM
Why not rotten corpses ?

Because I don't want that this Pyre will be a simple dump fire, this Pyre is intended as a ritual after a battle (for people that like a bit of roleplay)