[A17] CR-Natural Texture Overhaul (near ready for beta)

Started by CannibarRechter, October 01, 2017, 09:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CannibarRechter

This is a work in progress. A WMV video is to be found under the CR all mods link in my sig. There are also about 3 dozen screen shots.

The purpose of this mod is to make rimworld look realistic and not cartoony. It started out as a stockyard overhaul, and kind of exploaded from there. Currently reskinned items include: the UI, motes and overlays, all stockyard items, terrain, floors, walls, and more. It comes with at least partial out of the box reskinning for the following mods:

Allow Tool
Colony Manager
Door Mat
Embrasures
Extended Storage
Fences
Skully's Gauss Guns
Mobile Mineral Scanner
More Vanilla Turrets
OHU Dropships
RBSE
Misc Robots
Tilled Soil
Skully's Wall Lights

Virtually nothing in Rimworld is untouched. On the todo list are pawns and worn clothes. Both of these are problematic for me due to my art production method. So I might not get to them.

While virtually all of the graphics in this mod are presently net-new to rimworld, , I am currently using some of Jabba's worktables as placeholders until I can get permission or redo them. He and I haven't talked about that.

In the next week or so I'll be releasing a beta. While I believe I have found most defects by now (e.g., is the work location on the correct side of the bench?, etc), there may be bugs.

Looking for volunteers to beta test this very big redo.

One little thing. While this mod doesn't alter game logic in any way, in a few cases things were given different sizes for artistic reasons, and that will mildly impact game play. It might also mean it is inadvisable to load the mod against a current game (the game deletes things that don't fit).

Go here and navigate to screens and vid directory to see the mod in progress.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

branch?

Giving Factorio-esque ambience. Very chic. Looking forward to further updates!
how lit was it

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

pickbullmister

Impressive!

I agree with Spacedorf on the worldmap but i like the ship parts and terrain (tiles and vegetation)
not a big fan of the buildings but it's a matter of taste, that's quite an amount of work you did there already

CannibarRechter

> not a big fan of the buildings

Which one's specifically do you dislike. That will be one of the feedback items I'm looking for.

As the mod has developed, I've gotten considerably better at Gimp, and have been replacing some of the graphics with new and improved versions, so to speak. Design objective for the mod is to start with photos, and build out. In some cases, I build up from textures in a 3d process (as is with desk and work benches, sometimes), but in others, I build from parts, like the diesel generators. I think of the items shown, I like the pod launcher the least, but that's a difficult one.

In the case of the generators, it would be easy to change out yellow to something else, for example. Gimp has this nice color-wheel rotation tool.

pickbullmister

I was actually takling about the walls and their materials, the generators are quite well drawn and precise but maybe the yellow is a bit too bright in my opinion. again, impressive work on terrain

CannibarRechter

Ah. I'm working on some of the walls now, in particular their seams. I've redone wood, steel, and concrete (delta to another mod), and they are looking better. But what specifically about the walls do you think would make them better?

CannibarRechter

This mod is nearing release. All in-game structures, all terrain, the world map, and all in game items other than worn clothes have  been retexed. I'm working on animals at the moment.Most animals are done. The difficult ones are the fictional or non living animals: the thrumbo, boomrats, and megasloth. I'm still working on these last three.  I've attached my implementation of the Boomrat as a teaser:

This is a Wombat, with the explosive sacks.

I'm thinking the Boomalope is going be a Boomaroo, so to speak.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]