ModSync Ninja - Mod update manager!

Started by historic_os, July 16, 2017, 04:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

Too bad,
much thanks to the ModSync team to made it possible.

But when the Game developer or publisher didn't stand behind such a project it will fail soon or later.
And i bet Ludeon don't think to add a DRM free mod support while 90% of the player use steam workshop.

Kiame

Just a head's up, if anyone is interested in hosting the modsync server let me know.

Canute

Maybe want to ask the ludeon studio about it ?
They just could add them to the forum server, the forum need an upgrade anyway, slow responce at prime time.

Jaxxa

Thanks for all of your work on this project, sorry to see it stop, but I understand how hosting costs can be a pain, especially when its for a free project.

I am thinking that when (if) I get the time I could have a look into how feasible it would be to modify the mod to work without a central server.
My current plan would be that the ModSync.xml file could be modified to include a link to a GitHub Repository, then the current version could be pulled from that. Thus avoiding all centralized hosting and authentication issues.

Nightinggale

Quote from: Jaxxa on May 16, 2018, 01:12:26 AMI am thinking that when (if) I get the time I could have a look into how feasible it would be to modify the mod to work without a central server.
My current plan would be that the ModSync.xml file could be modified to include a link to a GitHub Repository, then the current version could be pulled from that. Thus avoiding all centralized hosting and authentication issues.
That's not a bad idea. It's not as good as a central server where you can list and sort mods, but it's far better than nothing. The best solution would be to give it to ludeon and let the server keep running.
I don't even think it would be that hard to code the mod to fetch data from github. After all it's just about downloading the xml file as plain text and it's possible to do that directly from the git repository if given the right url. The problem would be lag if it has to contact a git server for each mod, but it's still better than nothing. If there could be added an ingame button with a link to the github page for each mod (which opens in the browser), then downloading and hence updating will be easier.

Steam is bad for mod distribution because you can't make savegame breaking changes and tell people to update next time they start a new game. That and a bunch of other issues. Steam workshop is not designed for a game with requirements like RimWorld.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Kiame

Quote from: Jaxxa on May 16, 2018, 01:12:26 AM
Thanks for all of your work on this project, sorry to see it stop, but I understand how hosting costs can be a pain, especially when its for a free project.

I am thinking that when (if) I get the time I could have a look into how feasible it would be to modify the mod to work without a central server.

That's actually a really interesting idea...

I will brainstorm about that

historic_os

hello all, this is true. unfortunately I just can't justify the cost of running this project anymore with such low interest from the community and lack of free time.

to people having recent issues lately - it's because the scheduled tasks service went down.

regarding the suggestion above to add github link to modsync file - when the project was stated I wanted github and not github users to have same feature set and user experience so it wasn't added. it can be added but it wouldn't solve anything since you'll still need to maintain the domain, hosting, scheduled tasks, etc.

We will be handing out the project
if anyone is interested in keeping the project alive, feel free to contact us and take over it. this project is a baby and wouldn't just be handed to anyone, you'll need to understand the following:
1. it will cost money to maintain domain and hosting. and its not as simple as the genetic hosting plans.
2. hosting should be capable of: running .net 4.5, PHP, unlimited(execution time) scheduled tasks, subdomains support, SSL (for new google SSL requirements), MSSQL server 2012 (newer or older wouldn't work. ill check and specify the specific sql build version if needed).
3. u'll need to know and understand .net MVC, C# and obviously web development in general.  I'm sorry, I just can't spare the time atm to guide someone thorough, u'll need to be able to handle all of this. The PHP part of the project is really small and unlikely to be changed.
4. its a big project, you'll need to maintain: rimworld client, website, api library and the project server.
5. Open-source components should remain this way: rimworld client and api library should remain open-source. rest is up to you.
6. keep updating the project: u'll need to keep updating the project, not just leave it as it is now. github update should be on par with steam update(that's the main priority), simplify update via API tools, some method of password reset should be added(since we don't keep any modder information aside to forum username id suggest have forum based verification to reset password, similar to the mod verification step).

Anyone with serious interested in taking this on, feel free to contact us! i'd love to see this project staying alive!

Thank you, and again - I'm sorry it had to end this way.

Nightinggale

Quote from: historic_os on May 27, 2018, 06:58:07 AM6. keep updating the project: u'll need to keep updating the project, not just leave it as it is now.
I'm completely with you on this one. However wouldn't it be better to just maintain it as it is right now if the alternative is to shut it down completely? What is the minimum to just keep it running? Somebody paying the bills?

I agree we should aim as high as possible, but it seems to me that right now we are in a situation where we have to take what we can get. Rather than picking the best solution (because it's might not be there), picking the least bad solution would be the way to go. We should also be open to the option of somebody paying the bill and somebody else doing the coding.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Kiame

From Jaxxa's excellent idea of having ModSync be decentralized, comes ModSyncRW. Very much just and idea with a bit of code it's very much an initial WIP. Please check in on the forum post for information and to share any thoughts on the current idea/approach.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41603.msg409921#msg409921

Thanks!