[A17] RimRoads - Build Roads on the World Map

Started by jecrell, October 03, 2017, 09:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

QuoteFor instance, if you have a dirt road, it will take a single pawn with average construction skill about 14 hours to make a single segment.
However, if you have three pawns join with the work, it will only take 7 hours per segment.
This workmoral is similar to public construction projects. More work don't mean faster construction, just more chating,social fights and drinking beer.

So it is better you just use 1 pawn construction caravans :-)

QuoteRoads now have different movement speed bonuses.
Are these the vanilia boni or did you change them ?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Canute on October 04, 2017, 10:37:30 AM
QuoteFor instance, if you have a dirt road, it will take a single pawn with average construction skill about 14 hours to make a single segment.
However, if you have three pawns join with the work, it will only take 7 hours per segment.
This workmoral is similar to public construction projects. More work don't mean faster construction, just more chating,social fights and drinking beer.
These are Joy Activities so larger groups can construct more roads in one caravan without going berserk,
the lone pawn would require more vacation and sickdays.  ;D

@jecrell .. you are a polititian or manager in real life ?
again you skillfully dodged the question :
Can I see the general buldtime for one road segment somewhere ?
( I don't care about any calculation at all .. just one Number to base my own calculation on .. )
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

jecrell

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 04, 2017, 12:49:55 PM
Quote from: Canute on October 04, 2017, 10:37:30 AM
These are Joy Activities so larger groups can construct more roads in one caravan without going berserk,
the lone pawn would require more vacation and sickdays.  ;D

@jecrell .. you are a polititian or manager in real life ?
again you skillfully dodged the question :
Can I see the general buldtime for one road segment somewhere ?
( I don't care about any calculation at all .. just one Number to base my own calculation on .. )
Apologies my good man. I just did not have time to construct a lengthy explanation at the time, and I had hoped that would suffice.

In the XML for the mod you can see the work required for each roadtype.

<RimRoads.RoadBuildableDef>
    <defName>RimRoads_DirtRoadBuild</defName>
    <label>dirt road</label>
    <roadDef>DirtRoad</roadDef>
    <workToMake>63000</workToMake>
    <researchPrerequisites>
      <li>RimRoads_DirtRoads</li>
    </researchPrerequisites>
  </RimRoads.RoadBuildableDef>

<defName>RimRoads_StoneRoadBuild</defName>
    <label>stone road</label>
    <roadDef>StoneRoad</roadDef>
    <costList />
    <stuffCategories>
      <li>Stony</li>
    </stuffCategories>
    <costStuffCount>150</costStuffCount>
    <workToMake>100500</workToMake>
    <researchPrerequisites>
      <li>RimRoads_StoneRoads</li>
    </researchPrerequisites>

<defName>RimRoads_AsphaltRoadBuild</defName>
    <label>asphalt road</label>
    <roadDef>RimRoads_AsphaltRoad</roadDef>
    <costList>
      <Chemfuel>30</Chemfuel>
    </costList>
    <stuffCategories>
      <li>Stony</li>
    </stuffCategories>
    <costStuffCount>350</costStuffCount>
    <workToMake>200000</workToMake>
    <researchPrerequisites>
      <li>RimRoads_AsphaltRoads</li>
    </researchPrerequisites>

<defName>RimRoads_AsphaltHighwayBuild</defName>
    <label>asphalt highway</label>
    <roadDef>RimRoads_AsphaltHighway</roadDef>
    <costList>
      <Chemfuel>60</Chemfuel>
    </costList>
    <stuffCategories>
      <li>Stony</li>
    </stuffCategories>
    <costStuffCount>450</costStuffCount>
    <workToMake>400000</workToMake>
    <researchPrerequisites>
      <li>RimRoads_Highways</li>
    </researchPrerequisites>

Here is some pseudocode?

Variables
w = workToMake
speed = (sum of all caravan members... construction skill)

Calculation
for every millisecond... w - speed
if... w < 0... finish construction
...Psst. Still there? If you'd like to support
me and my works, do check out my Patreon.
Someday, I could work for RimWorld full time!

https://www.patreon.com/jecrell

SpaceDorf

Thank you :)
This is the answer I have been waiting for.
Though to be honest a simple yes or no would have sufficed for me :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Yoshida Keiji

Are there any other videos than Barky's?

Do World Incidents trigger to the caravan?

200 tamed muffalos for the purpose of video show is understandable but too impossible from a vanilla angle, specially in harder biomes.  From a Lost Tribe game, I wouldn't want to see highway until later researches are available too.

Barky with 200 muffalos managed to work like 10+ world tiles on a same day and since it's out of proportion, I would like to see a more reasonable video for say 5 colonists with 3 muffalos maybe? Assuming you have the proper material which must be tons of stones, which would be the road building ratio with time?

In a normal game, I wouldn't leave my colony empty for longer than 2 days maybe?

Wendigo

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on October 11, 2017, 01:36:23 PM
Are there any other videos than Barky's?

Do World Incidents trigger to the caravan?

200 tamed muffalos for the purpose of video show is understandable but too impossible from a vanilla angle, specially in harder biomes.  From a Lost Tribe game, I wouldn't want to see highway until later researches are available too.

Barky with 200 muffalos managed to work like 10+ world tiles on a same day and since it's out of proportion, I would like to see a more reasonable video for say 5 colonists with 3 muffalos maybe? Assuming you have the proper material which must be tons of stones, which would be the road building ratio with time?

In a normal game, I wouldn't leave my colony empty for longer than 2 days maybe?
If you want to build asphalt highways across a huge portion of the map, you're going to need an outsize hauling operation.  That said, a caravan of three or so pawns that are decent at construction can build a dirt road quite a ways, assuming you can feed them for the duration.  Larger roads require quite a bit of muscle, due to stone blocks being rather heavy.

Klitri

Hi I'm a fan I just wanted to report a little bugs I noticed while playing because I've had time to play around with it and I'm not sure if these things have happened because of incompatible mods but heres my tiny list.

-World map: When you construct a road and you get "interrupted" by events or anything that halts the road, it leaves a GUI bar that never disappears. If you create the road again it will make a new GUI bar and then work as normal, leaving the old GUI bar there forever. I have pictures if needed.

- When I saved after deconstructing a world road, it came back after I loaded. Could have been me but I'm confident I destroyed the road as I would notice.. lol.

A little advice to everyone else about highway building? Take advantage of drop pods and settling more than one settlement.
I've got maybe 30 muffalo and we can carry upwards to around 1530 kg. Which is about 3-4 highway segments worth. Coupled with my construction team (Average skill: 10) of four people it takes maybe two days total to build those 3-4 highway segments. As for muffalo taming, tame a whole lot, just let your pawn handlers go crazy, then just let them breed and wander the second map, and then have your real base on the first map. Settle close to the second map so you have easy access. :)

Vlad0mi3r

Game was running fine B18 updated and then it spat this error log.

https://gist.github.com/ecc3aec2b1fa16ecb614fcce8a2b2986

Hope this helps

Edit: sorry disregard the update forced a restart which cleared my mod list. I then just clicked down the list to activate my mods again. The order had changed and Hugs lib and Jecs tools had been shoved to the end.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on January 03, 2018, 12:37:50 AM

Hope this helps

Edit: sorry disregard the update forced a restart which cleared my mod list. I then just clicked down the list to activate my mods again. The order had changed and Hugs lib and Jecs tools had been shoved to the end.

I thought HugsLib and JecsTools supposed to be loaded right after Core?

Vlad0mi3r

Yep they are but I wasn't paying attention and was a little bit pissy at getting slammed out of the game. So I did the silly thing and assumed that my mods were in the same order as previous and didn't check.
Mods I would recommend:

The Mod you must have:

LivedOnce

Hope this helps

How did you made it work on b18? I can't get past worldgen. It simply jumps back to main menu.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: LivedOnce on January 24, 2018, 04:59:52 PM

Hope this helps

How did you made it work on b18? I can't get past worldgen. It simply jumps back to main menu.

Are you guys trying the B18 one from his github? https://github.com/jecrell/RimRoads

LivedOnce

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 24, 2018, 05:09:14 PM
Are you guys trying the B18 one from his github? https://github.com/jecrell/RimRoads
I actually used old version. Whoops. Everything makes sense now. Jecrell, update head post plox, or add github link for dummies like me at least

Canute

Jecrell isn't very active on the forum anymore since he mostliy use discord.
You should check more his patron page, or just browser the github.

Vlad0mi3r

I understand that Jecrell isn't active as much but I have been working on building roads/high ways.

So what I have found is a team of 4 elephants can carry enough materials and food to build 1 section of hwy. The clever part of this mod is that as soon as the build team arrives at the next blue print the resources for the next road section drop. So while the build team is at work you can send a second caravan out to resupply them. The supply team is moving down the newly completed hwy so moving fast and the supplies are stored at base.

I would say that in order to get road building done without a  super headache you will want the following mods as well:

A Dog Said, Bionic legs means fast movement for your resupply team.

Giddy Up, You will need to have your resupply pawn riding a fast animal.

Smokeleaf industry, Allows you to build hempcrete blocks which is a renewable block resource.

Animal Colab, More options for animals to do big loads faster. (I am using Ancient Spirit wolfs for my resupply team, I have 4 young elephants growing up to get bionics installed) The build team have standard elephants as speed is not the issue at the work end. 

Also my build team consists of only 2 pawns husband and wife with 1 construction 10. They take around a full day to build a section but this gives me time to get the supplies out to them.

I hope this helps get those roads built.
Mods I would recommend:

The Mod you must have: