[MOD] (Alpha 4F) Project K9 (v1.4 June, 18 2014)

Started by pidggit, May 14, 2014, 01:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pidggit

Quote from: Kumai0214 on May 21, 2014, 12:11:03 PM
Detected something iffy about the dogs that you tame. When you have a prisoner, your colony pet will immediately attack them and instantly turn them into "Human meat". I'm not too heart broken since it was only one prisoner but perhaps this should be looked into? Heh..

Yeah, I had that happen once, but I had several other dogs and prisoners and it didn't happen again. How do you store your prisoners? I usually just have extra colonist rooms set up and designate one of the spare beds to be a prisoner bed. Then when they're finally convinced to join, I just switch their old bed to a colonist bed. Oftentimes, they just stay in the same room after they're recruited.

The one time I saw a dog attack a prisoner was when I had them sleeping on a sleeping spot since I had a sudden influx of prisoners with no room to put them.

Kumai0214

Well for me it was the very first raid so it was only 1 prisoner. I did what you did with the prisoner bed; changed a spare room and kept him in it but while he was recovering after getting wrecked by my three colonists, my dog entered the room and started killing him while recovering and he eventually died.

JinxWolf

Quote from: Kumai0214 on May 21, 2014, 12:23:28 PM
Well for me it was the very first raid so it was only 1 prisoner. I did what you did with the prisoner bed; changed a spare room and kept him in it but while he was recovering after getting wrecked by my three colonists, my dog entered the room and started killing him while recovering and he eventually died.

Bruh, lol. "Well hello there little puppy, you came to keep me com--". Dog gnaws all on the prisoners ass. Dog leaves casually.

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: Kumai0214 on May 21, 2014, 12:23:28 PM
welp..... Lul!
My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Kumai0214

Yeah... When I noticed it my mouth dropped open and I then broke out laughing... Until I realized I lost a slave I mean.... Colonist.

pidggit

Changelog:

I've fixed the remaining Save game issue. Pawns should no longer appear to be frozen when loading a save where a pawn was in the middle of a Custom JobDriver. I fixed it in a very hack-y way by just clearing the dog's current job when the game is saved. Almost every time this happens, it will just pick up the same job it was doing before, unless the priorities have shifted since it started the job.

I'm going to start working on some new features now that I have this fairly stable version.

RonEverson

The Download file opens up as a 'bunch of folders' and not as previous version Project K folder.
It will end up in MOD folder in a messy state.
Has to be put manually to Project K9 to work.
Check and amend to save confusion ;)

pidggit

Quote from: RonEverson on May 24, 2014, 03:08:10 PM
The Download file opens up as a 'bunch of folders' and not as previous version Project K folder.
It will end up in MOD folder in a messy state.
Has to be put manually to Project K9 to work.
Check and amend to save confusion ;)

My bad. I zipped it up at the wrong directory level. I've uploaded the same version, but with a root folder included. Thanks.

pidggit

Changelog 1.3:

Mod Compatibility Update!

I've made a few tweaks and threw this mod in with the Big Bang mod pack and turned everything on and found no issues. This mod should now be compatible with pretty much all other mods.

porsing545

Help i cant find the download button.. plz

Cala13er

Quote from: porsing545 on May 25, 2014, 10:19:44 AM
Help i cant find the download button.. plz

You see the bit I've underlined, click that to download.

pidggit

Quote from: Encode on May 28, 2014, 01:47:41 PM
1) Dogs attack any human (without reason), including colonists, visitors, that it caused Friendly visitors to go kill them all. Noticed the thought msg was "kill" something, and could be for sake of food/meat as they go chew until corpses become meat.
- please prevent/disable colonists/friends in their scope.

Are you running v1.3? Dogs will not attack colonists anymore. They will attack any visitors though if they're hungry. You should probably have a supply of meat for them to eat nearby. Then they won't attack anyone.

2) Dogs go mental (msg popup) and attack anyone until it dies.
- please prevent mental/insanity for dogs or there's no point having pets that attack us in middle of night and kill colonists.

Yeah, I'm likely going to leave this in. The chance any particular dog in you colony will go insane is rather slim, but it gives a good shake up when it does happen.

2) Give command to dogs, like colonists' [draft] mode. their random paths many times ended up near raiders that more likely than not, get themselves killed.

The raiders will not attack random wandering pets out in the wild, and the pets will not attack the raiders until they enter your home zone. I'm trying to avoid having your pets essentially be "furry colonists". I'd rather the player actually have to interact and plan their pet usage differently than a colonist.

3) Tag/'give' dogs to colonists as partner(pet), i.e. dog(s) will follow colonists everywhere and help with tasks, like
- hauling things with combined capacity, or
- bring/send materials needed by colonists task, e.g. when cooking, each dog will 'fetch' enough materials for [1] task and wait for colonist to finish task, and bring completed material to storage then fetch new materials, if cook is aborted, dogs will either drop materials or bring them back to storage then follow the colonist,
- guard/protect their master when attacked.

This is a really cool idea. I like the idea of individual colonists having their own pets that help them complete their work. It could be tricky to try and predict the next job the colonist will want to do in order to effectively help them out, though.

I'll throw this up on my feature tracker and hopefully I can get around to implementing something like this.  Thanks!

spatula

this mod is great- really adds a fun element. my colonists are like my own pets, and their pets are just... just... meta... it's great.

issues:
- my doges tend to die quite often, usually via wolfpack, boomrat blowback or raider bullet zones, it's sad. Can't they be incapped too? Or maybe they heal faster? Poor scruffy. ;(
- doges will eat any un/forbidden meat/animals, making a butcher table basically useless... maybe delay doges eating dead animals until starvation in lieu of cut up meat if it's on the map, like how colonists prefer meals over raw?

ideas/suggestions:
- "mark territory" like a home zone, limiting the doges inside this area
- meal from cookstove: doge chow (and maybe a "doge hopper" for these meals)
- doge dispenser: a food dispenser for doges
- breeding (maybe look at the muffalo breeding mod)
- alerts: doge is hungry, doge is mentally unstable and barking alot, doge is attacking!, doge is such wow
- Taming skill: after tamed, treats doge like a Warden-Prisoner relationship where colonist goes, interacts with doge (ie. walks the doge) to increase doge and colonist happiness. Maybe doge goes mental if he doesn't get his walks in a long time. This way you might have one dedicated trainer, or have everyone share in the doge walking, but it's got more of a cost than just food.
-doge door (powered wall/door that only doges can enter)

You might already have most of these planned, just throwing out ideas. Great mod here! Would love to see your take on other animals too eventually!

Shadow Creator

Just downloaded this MOD last night and it is definitely interesting. I absolutely love the idea of having taming in the game as well as the dogs in general. Please keep up the amazing work you are doing with this, the game is definitely very interesting with this mod! Personally, I find that the dogs attacking citizens is negative only because you are never alerted and citizens, even when drafted, must be manually told to fight the majority of the time. That being said I thought I would share my experiences, neither good nor bad just simply my experiences.

All on largest map size in Vanilla game:
First three colony attempts at start ended in casualties from first day dog attacks. (This was amusing the first time imagining crash landing just to get mauled by rabid German Shepherds.)

Next couple attempts the map was cleared of all squirrel and boom rat populations first day, after all small animal populations were killed off  the citizens were ninja killed if I was not paying attention. Citizens when drafted need to manually be told to target aggressive dogs.

Been working on a long lasting colony for a day now with a massive cave city that has to rally to kill ninja killer dog attacks. Tamer needs to recruit dogs daily to keep desired 5 dog population as they are killed by wild dogs from time to time. Visitors and fleeing bandits are routinely turned into mulch.

Possible bug or unintended feature?
Dogs sharing rooms with humans cause the negative room sharing thought for both parties. Not a big deal (-8) I just wanted to pair them together as a positive thing.

Using version 1.3

Edit: After reading the post a couple above I just wanted to say I also prefer that you keep in the possibility of them going insane. This is a normal feature of the game and prevents it from becoming stale. When a dog does go insane the drafted colonists engage the animal as intended which is nice.

Tuvka

Gorgeous fashion! Will mod refined by alpha 4?