[MOD] (Alpha 4F) Project K9 (v1.4 June, 18 2014)

Started by pidggit, May 14, 2014, 01:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swiftdraw

Great mod! Well.. Except when the psychic wave hits and my erstwhile pets decide humans are REALLY yummy (+10 to mood.) Oh, and occasionally one or two will get stuck in place when they try to steal food from a prisoner.

N-Tempest

I love the mod (these lill pups are THE most useful creatures on the map!)
if i ignore all meat on the map, i can keep them around quite comfortably :D

when i start a new game, i get a slew of messages of pathing errors and the such from previous games.
The last game i played, all the dogs decided they wanted to walk into one room repeatedly and paused at the same place? no idea why. i'll let you know if i can replicate though.

Other than that I have a few suggestions:
A dog-bowl type structure that you can use to store meat and they'll eat it from there, rather than going out and blowing themselves up on boomrats or being wolfed to death

Training research. start off only being able to train mutts, then level it to get the bigger sheps, then upgrade to wolves!
otherwise, wolves are such a prestigious pain in the arse!

the wolves seem a little over-powered. they can kill any dog that decides they are lunch (which happens annoyingly often) and then they go kill boomrats and never seem to take much damage...

perhaps to tame a dog, you need to have a certain weapon (leash)? or you 'arrest' them to a training room like a prisoner?

a crafting table where you can make 'dog food' from meat and spuds would be good?

it would be nice to have a little more control over the dogs though. being able to tell them to pick up a certain thing? or control them all as one from a kennel or such building?

all the other things i want i think have been said or i can't remember...

I love this mod and as all things cool, i just want moooooooar! mwahahahahaaaa!
Keep up the great work!

dmordred

Absolutely marvelous!
Great fun to play with, the only problem I've had so far is the extinction of all squirrel like life-forms! :P

I haven't tested it yet, but I think it'd work great with the synthmeat mod

Ryehat

I had the same problem with the dogs all standing in one room repeatedly and it turns out it was because of the table I had in the room.  All of the tables have a "gathering place" function that you can turn on and off by clicking on the table and selecting the function button.  I turned my tables "off" and the dogs stopped congregating.  Hope that helps.

Markus

Quote from: pidggit on June 22, 2014, 10:47:55 AM
What other mods are you running? And if you're up to it, if you can run it again and when it happens, the error should be in the log file kept in games data folder.

I was using (from the folder names) Embrasures, Kitchen Unit, the Map Gen Pack, Mech Turrets, and Project Armory.  I'm not seeing the log files, though.  Are they deleted at some point?  If I have a chance, I'll spin up a game with the in-game log up and see if I can't figure out what that error was.

Edit: Fired up Alpha 4 again with the same mods.  Seems to work fine.  I'll give this another shot when it's ready for Alpha 5 (assuming it's not already).  As an aside, RimWorld really doesn't like it when you switch back and forth between versions.

pidggit

Bad news all. I've been swamped at work, and I just don't have the time to keep this updated.

However, I have open sourced the development on BitBucket. if anyone wants to take a crack at updating it, feel free. I'm more than happy to take Pull requests on Git.

It's almost ready for Alpha 5. The only change that I notice it needs is a custom Hauling JobDriver class. With the Alpha 5 change that made Reservations faction specific, tamed dogs will now haul food away from Colonists while they're trying to eat it, among other things. This is a change that kinda needed to happen anyway if I wanted to implement having the dogs only Haul certain items (instead of having a mouthful of silver coins), and to fix the bug around hauling food away from Prisoners, since they didn't care about socially inappropriate behaviour.

If anyone does start work on this and has questions, feel free to PM me or reply here and I can help where I can.

Ramsis

Quote from: pidggit on July 12, 2014, 12:55:12 AM
Bad news all. I've been swamped at work, and I just don't have the time to keep this updated.

However, I have open sourced the development on BitBucket. if anyone wants to take a crack at updating it, feel free. I'm more than happy to take Pull requests on Git.

It's almost ready for Alpha 5. The only change that I notice it needs is a custom Hauling JobDriver class. With the Alpha 5 change that made Reservations faction specific, tamed dogs will now haul food away from Colonists while they're trying to eat it, among other things. This is a change that kinda needed to happen anyway if I wanted to implement having the dogs only Haul certain items (instead of having a mouthful of silver coins), and to fix the bug around hauling food away from Prisoners, since they didn't care about socially inappropriate behaviour.

If anyone does start work on this and has questions, feel free to PM me or reply here and I can help where I can.

Hello again old friend; just starting off once again with a huge congrats and thank you for making my mod idea a reality and showing just how committed people can be to such small yet expansive abilities. I come to you today to get your blessings towards another person keeping the mod up to date/assimilating the mod as a whole into one of their own. http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3464.0 Minami is a good friend of mine who is actually trailing one of the most advanced/difficult mods out at the moment. It has high levels of custom content, options, events, you name it and personally I feel that should he be willing to take on the task a lot of great things can be done with Project K9 as a whole. You're free to deny but at the moment I'm trying to excite him towards the project addition and this would hopefully leave you open for some free time as well :)
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Salano

Personally... I think Techtree and K9 being merged is a very BAD idea. Unless Minami takes the time to release and keep the K9 mod up-to-date as a optional separate mod like he did with Stungun, people will be very upset. The reason for this is because Techtree changes Rimworld to something that isn't Rimworld. Whilst that's not necessarily a bad thing, it isn't a good thing either. I've played both Vanilla Rimworld and Techtree to end-game, and I found the vanilla Rimworld to be much more fun, and I'm sure other people would agree.

pidggit

Quote from: Ramsis on July 12, 2014, 01:00:26 PM
You're free to deny

I'm really not. The way I look at it, this project/code belongs to the community, not me. People are free to do what they like. They can fork the project off of BitBucket and submit their changes to the project. I'll happily merge the changes into the main branch.

One day when things calm down around here, I'll come back and help keep this project up and running, but this will always be an open source project that anyone can participate in.

jefftan

Well, I  enjoy both K9 and TechTree mod, and would love to see them being merged, too. ;D

Zagrom

pidggit

Quote from: Zagrom on July 16, 2014, 10:21:02 AM
I never knew this existed..

Well, in my obviously unbiased opinion, it's pretty much the best mod ever.  ;D

I just wish I had time to finish updating it at home.

Zagrom

Quote from: pidggit on July 16, 2014, 01:41:57 PM
Quote from: Zagrom on July 16, 2014, 10:21:02 AM
I never knew this existed..

Well, in my obviously unbiased opinion, it's pretty much the best mod ever.  ;D

I just wish I had time to finish updating it at home.
Its sort of annoying that it exists though, I thought of trying to make essentially this exact same mod a few days ago but didn't have the skill yet to make it. haha.

stef791

nice mod but the dog beds are buggy, if you  dont have beds for your colonists, they will sleep in the dog's bed