CannibarRechter

This is popping up occasionally:

HandleD3DDeviceLost
  HandleD3DDeviceLost: needs reset, doing it
FullResetD3DDevice
ResetD3DDevice
dev->Reset
D3Dwindow device not lost anymore

I am doing a lot of modding, which means I'm starting the game, tabbing out, loading the output_log.txt file, and tabbing back in quite often. How to say this? I don't think this is necessarily a bug, but I am asking here in this forum: how much should I be concerned about this? The game tends to "stick" when this happens, sometimes goes real, real slow, etc. I can't really tell if it happens during normal gameplay at all, because I'm in start-restart-mod hell, if you know what I mean. Any technical advice to be given would be appreciated, thank you.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Calahan

My understanding is that this is a (long standing) bug in Unity that can be caused by the game window losing active focus, which is exactly what happen when you alt-tab. It's an issue that has been reported with several Unity games, especially when they are run in fullscreen.

As to advice on how to deal with it / prevent it (other than the obvious "don't alt-tab"), here is a post by nccvoyager with info on the problem and a few possible solutions (some might not apply to your setup). https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26517.msg268946#msg268946

I've also moved this to support as I doubt there's anything the devs can do about this long standing Unity bug. I've also edited the title of your thread because you were missing one of the "D's" in the middle of the error message (which would make this thread difficult to find for anyone looking for info on this exact log error).

CannibarRechter

Okay. My main reason for posting was to get a warm fuzzy on the possibility of this being a consequence of the mods themselves, either mine (some of which do quite a bit of Harmony black magic trickery) or others. It sounds like, "probably not a mod problem," and more like a frequent tab-in-out problem. Which is okay by me, if true.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Calahan

I admit I don't know anything about RimWorld modding, but the available info on this HandleD3DDevice lost error suggests it's a Unity issue, or GPU going idle issue (say due to laptop power management settings), or anything else that might cause the GPU to switch from a needed/working state to a not needed/idle state. Such as alt-tabbing or using the Windows Key yo switch to desktop view.

So I'd be surprised if mods were able to cause the GPU to do that.