Hydro Basin Pro Tip

Started by Rock5, October 07, 2017, 12:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

Quote from: sadpickle on October 18, 2017, 04:56:38 AM
What about using wood-burning generators to power hydroponic setups?

According to the wiki, sun lamps take 2900W when lit. You can fit 24 hydro into a sun lamps' radius, 24 x 70w per is 1680, which gives us a peak power usage of 4,580W. With each generator producing 1000 you would need 5 to keep everything running. But when the sun lamps switch off you would only need 2 to keep the hydro from losing power. Generators produce heat, so if they're inside the greenhouse you might not even need heaters, leaving 420w (my favorite number, ha) leftover.

I'm not sure this is viable without an enormous amount of space to grow trees (75 x 5 = 375 wood every 3 days or so) but I'm no expert, maybe there is a workaround.
Basicly a good idea, but if you need to heat the greenhouse, you prolly have  a bad outdoor temp. to grow  trees.
Then you will run short of wood very soon and need to buy/trade hugh quantity of them.

But if you play with mods, you can use a fueled generator which burn chemfuel.
Then you can grow bambus (from veg. garden) or other veggies and refine them into chemfuel.

TheMeInTeam

Don't be silly.  Of course you can use wind turbines:

Rock5

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on October 18, 2017, 11:58:05 AM
Don't be silly.  Of course you can use wind turbines:
Yes of course. Using batteries.

Actually you can also use doors to allow the turbine to get close enough.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Mutineer

When I used basins, I used them with constant power source circle without batteries, like wood burning power or geyser. You do not need to connect sun lump to the same power cord. Sun lump can be on the usual mix with batteries system. Sun lump die do not kill plants instantly, it does not kill them at all, just delay grow for interaption time.

Rock5

Quote from: Mutineer on October 19, 2017, 09:58:10 PM
When I used basins, I used them with constant power source circle without batteries, like wood burning power or geyser. You do not need to connect sun lump to the same power cord. Sun lump can be on the usual mix with batteries system. Sun lump die do not kill plants instantly, it does not kill them at all, just delay grow for interaption time.
That's a good point but it's unlikely you will have enough geysers near your growing zone and fueled generators use a lot of wood so it's difficult to have a lot of them to power your growing zone.

Instead of having the sunlamp on a separate circuit what I do is just switch off the sunlamps during eclipses if I think I'll run out of power.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport