Infestations needs improvements.

Started by Ncates1234, October 07, 2017, 12:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ncates1234

Its kinda dumb just how they appear outta thin air and maul your colonists to death.
I know there are counter measures to that- the most popular being "Don't live in a mountain"
Keeping the temperature up (Thanks solar flare)

I'm a mountain rat, and boy do I love mining deep into them. If raider sappers aren't annoying as it is, the infestations came... I don't run permadeath just because of them.

Now how would I improve it if I knew anything about programming.
When infestations do happen, don't spawn the whole bug army to maul everyone. Instead spawn a coupe of worker bugs that would try to build up the hive and only then spawn the armies if they were not cleared out. Maybe its a little easier, but atleast it won't instantly spawn and kill everyone out of nowhere.

Or atleast spawn the hives in places pawns haven't been for some time, instead of the middle of my workshop

EDIT: Probably should mention this.
There is something familiar with pirate raid "besiege"
I don't know if the code is salvageable or not, but it could be based off it.

tonsrd

theres a mod that makes them more visable ( in stockpile they can be pretty coverd )

and theres another that will make the ants spawn a few hours after the hives ( giving u time to move ur men,

but there still the most op vanilla threat and I dislike them ( I turn them off in scenario )

Ncates1234

Quote from: tonsrd on October 08, 2017, 08:19:47 AM
theres a mod that makes them more visable ( in stockpile they can be pretty coverd )

and theres another that will make the ants spawn a few hours after the hives ( giving u time to move ur men,

but there still the most op vanilla threat and I dislike them ( I turn them off in scenario )
I was looking for mods to change those things but I couldn't find it anywhere, could you perhaps link me to that mod?

tommiethegun

Besides the mod that makes them more visible, there's also this mod which changes their behavior: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25549.msg259725#msg259725

QuoteThe hives will prioritize starting in a cave.

If the player tries to outsmart this by setting all caves as the home area, then it will spawn them in your home area if it can't find any other spot.

It also changes bug behavior and give reproduction behavior a bit as well. Seems to make it more interesting and balanced.

Ncates1234

Quote from: tommiethegun on October 08, 2017, 10:34:46 AM
Besides the mod that makes them more visible, there's also this mod which changes their behavior: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25549.msg259725#msg259725

It also changes bug behavior and give reproduction behavior a bit as well. Seems to make it more interesting and balanced.
Doesn't quite change the way they spawn out of no where, but still better than vanilla insects.
Thanks!

Wishmaster

I think the way you want to infestations would make them way too weak.

However it is true that it is a giant pain that they cant spawn in the middle of your base screwing you completely.

An alternative idea is that infestation should happen only when digging in a mountain. The deeper, the higher the chances are to trigger one.

Basically you would have to fight insects only when digging. Once you are done. You can live in peace in mountain.

Ncates1234

Quote from: Wishmaster on October 08, 2017, 03:17:48 PM

However it is true that it is a giant pain that they cant spawn in the middle of your base screwing you completely.

An alternative idea is that infestation should happen only when digging in a mountain. The deeper, the higher the chances are to trigger one.

Basically you would have to fight insects only when digging. Once you are done. You can live in peace in mountain.
Yeah, I agree it would make it much easier... But atleast it wouldn't be a dumb instant death to colonies.
Honestly I don't know why would they even exist if they are so lazily made and screw you over so quickly

EDIT:
Hahaha~~
Do you mean something like this perhaps?

Except I didin't see the other two hives that spawned in someones bedroom. There goes another savescum...

Wishmaster

Quote from: Ncates1234 on October 08, 2017, 03:27:56 PM
Quote from: Wishmaster on October 08, 2017, 03:17:48 PM

Yeah, I agree it would make it much easier... But atleast it wouldn't be a dumb instant death to colonies.
Honestly I don't know why would they even exist if they are so lazily made and screw you over so quickly

EDIT:
Hahaha~~
Do you mean something like this perhaps?

Except I didin't see the other two hives that spawned in someones bedroom. There goes another savescum...

No that's not what I meant.

Also without infestations, the mountain base would be a lot too easy to defend especially against siege.

But the problem is that it can screw your colony at any time. Hence my proposition: something that would make it hard to setup in the mountain but that wont screw up your colony in a second.

tommiethegun

Quote from: Ncates1234 on October 08, 2017, 03:09:26 PM
Doesn't quite change the way they spawn out of no where, but still better than vanilla insects.
Thanks!

That's just it though, it changes them to spawn outside your home area, which is much better than spawning inside your barracks or kitchen.

Ncates1234

Quote from: tommiethegun on October 08, 2017, 04:40:52 PM
That's just it though, it changes them to spawn outside your home area, which is much better than spawning inside your barracks or kitchen.
Yeah it works better now with the mod. Much better....

@Wishmaster
Probably should mention that this whole base is in a mountain, so I dug rather deep in there, if that's not what you mean't by "The Deeper, The higher chances for infestations" "Fight them when digging, then forget they exist" Then I might be misunderstanding something.

Gohihioh

I hate the current infestations system as well. I tried playing around it many times but recently decided that I would just turn the event off since, although it makes mountain bases too powerful.

My idea is that hives would spawn from a hole(looking similar to geyser). It would be a visible hole which would spawn insects from time to time. Holes would only spawn insects after you discover them. You can destroy it by entering it which would create a new map for event, area would be full of corridors and many many insects. This would create a high risk of digging into mountains - if you find a hole while digging you just made yourself an prolonged high threat(which you can play around better than you can nowdays) and to destroy it you would need a lot of manpower.

Ncates1234

Quote from: Gohihioh on October 09, 2017, 03:01:00 AM
I hate the current infestations system as well. I tried playing around it many times but recently decided that I would just turn the event off since, although it makes mountain bases too powerful.

My idea is that hives would spawn from a hole(looking similar to geyser). It would be a visible hole which would spawn insects from time to time. Holes would only spawn insects after you discover them. You can destroy it by entering it which would create a new map for event, area would be full of corridors and many many insects. This would create a high risk of digging into mountains - if you find a hole while digging you just made yourself an prolonged high threat(which you can play around better than you can nowdays) and to destroy it you would need a lot of manpower.
Thats a lot of work for insects so I doubt this will make it trough... Although idea is neat.

emraldilian

I think there should be a warning prior to the bugs appearing so you have time to move a few colonists/things around. Like an alert that says your colonists can hear them digging into an area a few hours before they actually appear.

I find them easy to deal with so long as they don't appear on top of my colonists so that should be enough.

SpaceDorf

I like the hole Idea, as a place with higher spawn rate.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.